10/31/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2753

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

1a.
Apple Store From: Bill Boulware
1b.
Re: Apple Store From: Techlady
2a.
Re: Good iPhone emoticon app. From: Susan Ferraglio
2b.
Re: Good iPhone emoticon app. From: T L
2c.
Re: Good iPhone emoticon app. From: Laura Velez
2d.
Re: Good iPhone emoticon app. From: Ann Hofferberth
3a.
Re: 4s notes problem From: Donald
3b.
Re: 4s notes problem From: Alice Saunders
3c.
Re: 4s notes problem From: Donald
4a.
Re: A eulogy for Steve Jobs, as spoken by his sister From: Carl W Brooks
5.
Missing iOS5 Apps after upgrade From: wcombsdbts
6a.
Re: Any Recommended FM Transmitters? From: Jim Inman

Messages

1a.

Apple Store

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:32 pm (PDT)



For those of you who have never had a warranty issue at an Apple Store, I
thought I would share my experience. I have been to this particular Mall
based Apple store several times, I waited in line and bought my first
iPhone there, I bought a Mac Mini Server there, and I have returned an item
there. Today was the first time I have ever made a "Genius" bar
appointment. My iPad 2 (pre-ordered and delivered at launch), had a 1/4"
white spot (burnt pixels) and rapid battery drain (two separate issues). I
finally had a chance to set an appointment, drove to the mall, parked as
close as I could (very busy mall). I arrived at the Apple Store about 5
minutes after my appointment and there were at least 100 people over 12yo
and 25 under 12yo, crowded around every displayed device, by the time I
made it around the people to the "Greeter" I was 10 minutes past my
appointment and told that after 7 minutes they normally cancel them, but
they were running behind so they would fit me in. I waited at least 15
minutes, having to move back and forth because the only place to stand was
near the "Genius Bar" entrance. A "Genius" finally came over to me
(another called my name a few minutes later, not sure if they didn't mark
me off or what) and asked what the issue(s) were. I showed him and he
explained that he would have to swap out the iPad and that he would do so
as long as it was under warranty (it is) and there was no liquid damage
(there wasn't) - he used a keychain light to check the liquid sensors and
entered my Serial # into his iPhone/iPod Touch (not sure which it was since
it was in the checkout/card scanner case).

This is where it is interesting, the replacement items are not from retail
packaging, they are from unmarked brown boxes (I'm sure there is a bar code
or label that identifies the size and model). The replacement still had
iOS 4 and was not activated, he did take it out and activate it and let me
verify that it was 32GB and AT&T. I signed the "warranty replacement"
ticket on his checkout device and went to my old iPad and went to the
Settings and tapped Erase Settings & Content, entered my password and let
it erase before I left. As I was walking out, my iPhone buzzed with my
"Receipt", which is the interesting part - as a warranty replacement, a
32GB 3G iPad is worth $369.

All in all, it was a decent experience but they were busy.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Apple Store

Posted by: "Techlady" techlady04@yahoo.com   techlady04

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm (PDT)



Used the genius bar 2x. Was happy on both occasions. Did I mention they replaced my iPhone 4 for free after I dropped it?

Yepper. Happy. :)

TL

On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those of you who have never had a warranty issue at an Apple Store, I
> thought I would share my experience. I have been to this particular Mall
> based Apple store several times, I waited in line and bought my first
> iPhone there, I bought a Mac Mini Server there, and I have returned an item
> there. Today was the first time I have ever made a "Genius" bar
> appointment. My iPad 2 (pre-ordered and delivered at launch), had a 1/4"
> white spot (burnt pixels) and rapid battery drain (two separate issues). I
> finally had a chance to set an appointment, drove to the mall, parked as
> close as I could (very busy mall). I arrived at the Apple Store about 5
> minutes after my appointment and there were at least 100 people over 12yo
> and 25 under 12yo, crowded around every displayed device, by the time I
> made it around the people to the "Greeter" I was 10 minutes past my
> appointment and told that after 7 minutes they normally cancel them, but
> they were running behind so they would fit me in. I waited at least 15
> minutes, having to move back and forth because the only place to stand was
> near the "Genius Bar" entrance. A "Genius" finally came over to me
> (another called my name a few minutes later, not sure if they didn't mark
> me off or what) and asked what the issue(s) were. I showed him and he
> explained that he would have to swap out the iPad and that he would do so
> as long as it was under warranty (it is) and there was no liquid damage
> (there wasn't) - he used a keychain light to check the liquid sensors and
> entered my Serial # into his iPhone/iPod Touch (not sure which it was since
> it was in the checkout/card scanner case).
>
> This is where it is interesting, the replacement items are not from retail
> packaging, they are from unmarked brown boxes (I'm sure there is a bar code
> or label that identifies the size and model). The replacement still had
> iOS 4 and was not activated, he did take it out and activate it and let me
> verify that it was 32GB and AT&T. I signed the "warranty replacement"
> ticket on his checkout device and went to my old iPad and went to the
> Settings and tapped Erase Settings & Content, entered my password and let
> it erase before I left. As I was walking out, my iPhone buzzed with my
> "Receipt", which is the interesting part - as a warranty replacement, a
> 32GB 3G iPad is worth $369.
>
> All in all, it was a decent experience but they were busy.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Good iPhone emoticon app.

Posted by: "Susan Ferraglio" bladessf@aol.com   bladessf2000

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:35 pm (PDT)



Unfortunately emoji icons can't be seen on any phone not running iOS. There is an app called emoji mailer that can be used. Compose your mail in that app then copy to clipboard and place in your regular mail. The app creates a graphic of each icon so it can appear on non iOS devices. Not sure about using it in text though. Check out the app.
HTH
Sue

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Laura Velez <lgvelez@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, it works, but my hubby on his BlackBerry can't see them.
>
> LauraV in TX
>
>
>
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Alice Saunders wrote:
>
>> Any of the free emoji apps in the iTunes app store will work fine. If you've upgraded to iOS 5, there is one already built into it.
>>
>> Alice
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Laura Velez wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have an iPhone emoticon app to recommend? I want one, but there are a lot of them, and I'd like an opinion, please.
>>>
>>> LauraV in TX

2b.

Re: Good iPhone emoticon app.

Posted by: "T L" techlady04@yahoo.com   techlady04

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 pm (PDT)



Tks Laura. got it.

TL

________________________________
From: Laura Velez <lgvelez@yahoo.com>
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Good iPhone emoticon app.

 
Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > Scroll down to Emoji and select it.
In the iMessage area it shows up at the bottom of the screen as a linear globe. Nice emoticons, buy my hubby cannot see them on his BB.

LauraV in TX

On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:38 PM, Techlady wrote:

> Really? How does one access it?
>
> Tks!
>
> TL
>
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Alice Saunders <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any of the free emoji apps in the iTunes app store will work fine. If you've upgraded to iOS 5, there is one already built into it.
> >
> > Alice
> >
> > On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Laura Velez wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have an iPhone emoticon app to recommend? I want one, but there are a lot of them, and I'd like an opinion, please.
> >>
> >> LauraV in TX

2c.

Re: Good iPhone emoticon app.

Posted by: "Laura Velez" lgvelez@yahoo.com   lgvelez

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:19 pm (PDT)



Thanks Sue. I think I'll make DH get his own iPhone. I did give him his own iPod Touch so maybe that will work.

Sent from Laura's iPad - The Brain

On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately emoji icons can't be seen on any phone not running iOS. There is an app called emoji mailer that can be used. Compose your mail in that app then copy to clipboard and place in your regular mail. The app creates a graphic of each icon so it can appear on non iOS devices. Not sure about using it in text though. Check out the app.
> HTH
> Sue
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Laura Velez <lgvelez@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, it works, but my hubby on his BlackBerry can't see them.
> >
> > LauraV in TX
> >
> >
> >
> > On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Alice Saunders wrote:
> >
> >> Any of the free emoji apps in the iTunes app store will work fine. If you've upgraded to iOS 5, there is one already built into it.
> >>
> >> Alice
> >>
> >> On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Laura Velez wrote:
> >>
> >>> Does anyone have an iPhone emoticon app to recommend? I want one, but there are a lot of them, and I'd like an opinion, please.
> >>>
> >>> LauraV in TX
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2d.

Re: Good iPhone emoticon app.

Posted by: "Ann Hofferberth" annftd@yahoo.com   annftd

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 pm (PDT)



Laura,

You can find one on the International Keyboard:
Settings-Keyboard-International Keyboard_ choose Emoji...now you will
see the globe next to your keyboard space bar and can use it to toggle
back and forth from English to Emoji.
Ann

On 10/30/2011 9:15 PM, Laura Velez wrote:
>
> Thanks Sue. I think I'll make DH get his own iPhone. I did give him
> his own iPod Touch so maybe that will work.
>
> Sent from Laura's iPad - The Brain
>
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com
> <mailto:bladessf%40aol.com>> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately emoji icons can't be seen on any phone not running
> iOS. There is an app called emoji mailer that can be used. Compose
> your mail in that app then copy to clipboard and place in your regular
> mail. The app creates a graphic of each icon so it can appear on non
> iOS devices. Not sure about using it in text though. Check out the app.
> > HTH
> > Sue
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Laura Velez <lgvelez@yahoo.com
> <mailto:lgvelez%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, it works, but my hubby on his BlackBerry can't see them.
> > >
> > > LauraV in TX
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Alice Saunders wrote:
> > >
> > >> Any of the free emoji apps in the iTunes app store will work
> fine. If you've upgraded to iOS 5, there is one already built into it.
> > >>
> > >> Alice
> > >>
> > >> On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Laura Velez wrote:
> > >>
> > >>> Does anyone have an iPhone emoticon app to recommend? I want
> one, but there are a lot of them, and I'd like an opinion, please.
> > >>>
> > >>> LauraV in TX
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

--

--
/*Ann
*/annftd@yahoo.com/*
_850-417-8400_
*/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: 4s notes problem

Posted by: "Donald" xlnt74@sbcglobal.net   xlnt74@sbcglobal.net

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:21 pm (PDT)



I guess I'm not understanding what's being said here.

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.

When I enter a note using the resident notes app the note stays until I delete it. It is not E mailed to anyone nor is it synced to the other iDevice on my iCloud account except as part of my back up. Now reminders is a different story it is synced via iCloud to my wife's iPod Touch which is also on iOS 5.0.

None of my previous iPhones ( iPhone, iPhone 3G ) have done anything other than what I am seeing now.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealpa3@...> wrote:
>
> I expected that when I entered a note into either my iphone or ipad that it would stay available in the notes area and also show up in the other os5 device.
>
> (Bill Boulware pointed out that in the regular apple email there is a notes section if one scrolls down - so maybe the note that I entered in the iphone would show up there too.)
>
> Neal
>

3b.

Re: 4s notes problem

Posted by: "Alice Saunders" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:28 pm (PDT)



So what you're saying is that reminders sync via iCloud and notes doesn't?
On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Donald wrote:

> I guess I'm not understanding what's being said here.
>
> I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.
>
> When I enter a note using the resident notes app the note stays until I delete it. It is not E mailed to anyone nor is it synced to the other iDevice on my iCloud account except as part of my back up. Now reminders is a different story it is synced via iCloud to my wife's iPod Touch which is also on iOS 5.0.
>
> None of my previous iPhones ( iPhone, iPhone 3G ) have done anything other than what I am seeing now.
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealpa3@...> wrote:
> >
> > I expected that when I entered a note into either my iphone or ipad that it would stay available in the notes area and also show up in the other os5 device.
> >
> > (Bill Boulware pointed out that in the regular apple email there is a notes section if one scrolls down - so maybe the note that I entered in the iphone would show up there too.)
> >
> > Neal
> >
>
>

\
\ /\
( )
.( ).

Alice Saunders
whiterabbit32@gmail.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: 4s notes problem

Posted by: "Donald" xlnt74@sbcglobal.net   xlnt74@sbcglobal.net

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:59 pm (PDT)



I'm saying not that I've seen although since my post I went to settings > iCloud and there I noticed there is a setting to sync notes. On my iPhone that switch is set to off.

So whether notes sync or not is user determined.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Alice Saunders <whiterabbit32@...> wrote:
>
> So what you're saying is that reminders sync via iCloud and notes doesn't?
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Donald wrote:
>
> > I guess I'm not understanding what's being said here.
> >
> > I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.
> >
> > When I enter a note using the resident notes app the note stays until I delete it. It is not E mailed to anyone nor is it synced to the other iDevice on my iCloud account except as part of my back up. Now reminders is a different story it is synced via iCloud to my wife's iPod Touch which is also on iOS 5.0.
> >
> > None of my previous iPhones ( iPhone, iPhone 3G ) have done anything other than what I am seeing now.
> >
> > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealpa3@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I expected that when I entered a note into either my iphone or ipad that it would stay available in the notes area and also show up in the other os5 device.
> > >
> > > (Bill Boulware pointed out that in the regular apple email there is a notes section if one scrolls down - so maybe the note that I entered in the iphone would show up there too.)
> > >
> > > Neal
> > >
> >
> > I
>
> \
> \ /\
> ( )
> .( ).
>
> Alice Saunders
> whiterabbit32@...
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

4a.

Re: A eulogy for Steve Jobs, as spoken by his sister

Posted by: "Carl W Brooks" carl@iamthereforeipad.com   cwbrooks

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:48 pm (PDT)



Oh wow. Touching.

Thanks,

Carl W. Brooks

On Oct 30, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheBoyGeniusReport/~3/qL4EBJqaRKk/
>
> Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: A eulogy for Steve
> Jobs, as spoken by his sister via BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In
> Tech by Zach Epstein on 10/30/11
>
> During a memorial service for Steve Jobs that took place on October
> 16th, his sister Mona Simpson delivered a touching eulogy that was
> published in today's New York Times. Follow the link below to read it
> in its entirety.
>
> Read
>
> Things you can do from here:
> - Subscribe to BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In Tech using Google
> Reader
> - Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
> favorite sites
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

Missing iOS5 Apps after upgrade

Posted by: "wcombsdbts" wcombs@dbts.edu   wcombsdbts

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm (PDT)



After upgrading to iOS5 on my 3GS iPhone, two of the apps that were supposed to be installed are not there--iMessage and Notification Center. Twitter is not there, but looking at the Settings, it looks like I have to change a setting for it to install. But at lead iMessage and Notification should have been installed I assume.

Any ideas?

Bill

6a.

Re: Any Recommended FM Transmitters?

Posted by: "Jim Inman" jiminmanjr@yahoo.com   jiminmanjr

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:19 am (PDT)



Barb - Could you give me a model number, or a link on Best Buy or Amazon or something?

Thanks!

________________________________
From: Barb Strate <aaaruba@gmail.com>
To: "apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com" <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Any Recommended FM Transmitters?

 
I use one by Belkin. It works well. I also use a visor Bluetooth by motorola. When a call comes in the iPhone automatically switches to bluetooth for the call. Works very well. When the call ends the iPhone goes back to playing music through fm transmitter. The fm transmitter also charges the phone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:50 AM, "jiminmanjr" <jiminmanjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Stepping away from all the 4S discussion...
>
> As the holidays approach, I'm asked for my "Christmas list." One thing I would really like is an FM transmitter to play my iPhone through my Jeep Wrangler stereo. From what I've seen, these things plug into the cigarette lighter, and the headphone jack. An FM station is dialed up on the transmitter and the radio, and then you can hear your iPhone through your car.
>
> Does anyone have one of these? What brand? Does it work well, or would you switch?
>
> I would like to even find something (if it exists) that allows for hands-free calling/talking, but that's not a requirement.
>
> Thanks!
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for a happy,

healthy home

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.