10/21/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8503

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

Messages

1.

Strange Terminal prompt

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:55 pm (PDT)



Until today the command-line prompt in Terminal has been:

Dave$_

(the underscore is the blinking cursor). "Dave" is my user name.

Sometime today it changed to:

Heather:~ Dave$_

I tried "exit" which logs me out, and rebooting. The prompt remains the same.

Heather is another user on the LAN, but not on my Mac. I am the sole
user (and admin) on my Mac.

What does this change in prompt mean? And how did it happen? How to
change it back?

FWIW, today I was doing some "default writes" attempting to get
Finder to make visible the invisible files.

System Preferences > Sharing shows that no one is connected to my Mac.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

2a.

Re: Heads-up re. OS X drivers for older Brother laser printers

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Well, Cheapskate (couldn't resist), just go ahead and install the
entire driver package. PPDs are no big deal and are nothing to worry
about.

We used to call PPDs PostScript Printer Definition files but I guess
that name is no longer quite accurate.

In any case, you can manually delete PPD files after install.

See Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:03 -0700, DaveC wrote:
> When I upgraded from SL to Lion, every page printed on my networked
> Brother SL-5170DN contained "ERROR NAME; undefined COMMAND; OPERAND
> STACK"instead of the page I wanted to print.
>
> It turns out that there are 2 drivers included in the OS X print
> system that you can install for these printers: the CUPS driver, and
> a non-CUPS driver. The CUPS driver is the one causing the problems
> for this particular printer.
>
> I deleted the printer from the system preferences Print & Fax pane
> and installed another printer specifying the non-CUPS driver.
>
> The trick is that when going through the printer set-up process,
> don't accept the recommended driver (it's always the CUPS driver).
> Instead, select the option to choose your own driver, scroll through
> the list of available drivers and choose the non-CUPS driver.
>
> The ol' Bro' is now printing just as it always has: reliably.
>
> Cheers,
> Cheapskate Dave

3a.

Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "Darrell McDonald" fussyoldfart@gmail.com   fussyoldfart

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 pm (PDT)



For quite some time I have been using Chrome but I decided to give Safari another try after I installed Lion. When I click on the icon a little popup window appears asking for my password for something called SpiceRack. That's as much as I know about it because most of the words in the popup I don't recognize or understand. If I click on "cancel" the popup goes away and the browser seems to work OK. I thought I might get rid of it by installing a new copy of Safari but the popup persists. In fact if I open Chrome in front of Safari the popup is still on top. Since I cannot attach an image to this message, let me try to type in what it says, minus the diacritical marks.

SpiceRack se pokousi odeslat omezene
prikazy skriptovaciho doplnku jinym
aplikacim. Type your password to allow this.

There are then two windows for my computer's name (already filled in)
and my password (blank)

And then two buttons "Cancel" and "Odeslat prikazy"

If all this relates to some naughty site then I have just very publicly embarrassed myself but somehow I think there is another explanation. Do we have a linguist in the group who can explain this?

Darrell McDonald

3b.

Re: Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "Paul Smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:36 pm (PDT)



I cannot claim to be a linguist, but your mention of diacritical marks and a few vaguely familiar words lead me to suspect the message is in Czech.
Have you looked at your Internet plugins and Safari extensions for any unfamiliar items?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 20, 2011, at 9:19 PM, "Darrell McDonald" <fussyoldfart@gmail.com> wrote:

> For quite some time I have been using Chrome but I decided to give Safari another try after I installed Lion. When I click on the icon a little popup window appears asking for my password for something called SpiceRack. That's as much as I know about it because most of the words in the popup I don't recognize or understand. If I click on "cancel" the popup goes away and the browser seems to work OK. I thought I might get rid of it by installing a new copy of Safari but the popup persists. In fact if I open Chrome in front of Safari the popup is still on top. Since I cannot attach an image to this message, let me try to type in what it says, minus the diacritical marks.
>
> SpiceRack se pokousi odeslat omezene
> prikazy skriptovaciho doplnku jinym
> aplikacim. Type your password to allow this.
>
> There are then two windows for my computer's name (already filled in)
> and my password (blank)
>
> And then two buttons "Cancel" and "Odeslat prikazy"
>
> If all this relates to some naughty site then I have just very publicly embarrassed myself but somehow I think there is another explanation. Do we have a linguist in the group who can explain this?
>
> Darrell McDonald
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3c.

Re: Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 pm (PDT)



At 1:19 AM +0000 10/21/11, Darrell McDonald wrote:

>SpiceRack se pokousi odeslat omezene
>prikazy skriptovaciho doplnku jinym
>aplikacim. Type your password to allow this.
>
>There are then two windows for my computer's name (already filled in)
>and my password (blank)
>
>And then two buttons "Cancel" and "Odeslat prikazy"

I'm not sure, but it looks like Polish to me. Might be some other
Slavic language that uses our alphabet, such as Czech or the Croat
version of Serbo-croatian. Were you on some eastern European site?

--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

3d.

Re: Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "hester" dhreik@gmail.com   drhester_06107

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:32 pm (PDT)



It's Czech;

From Google translator:

SpiceRack is trying to send a limited
Appendix else scripting commands
applications. Type your password that allow this.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell McDonald" <fussyoldfart@...> wrote:
>
> For quite some time I have been using Chrome but I decided to give Safari another try after I installed Lion. When I click on the icon a little popup window appears asking for my password for something called SpiceRack. That's as much as I know about it because most of the words in the popup I don't recognize or understand. If I click on "cancel" the popup goes away and the browser seems to work OK. I thought I might get rid of it by installing a new copy of Safari but the popup persists. In fact if I open Chrome in front of Safari the popup is still on top. Since I cannot attach an image to this message, let me try to type in what it says, minus the diacritical marks.
>
> SpiceRack se pokousi odeslat omezene
> prikazy skriptovaciho doplnku jinym
> aplikacim. Type your password to allow this.
>
> There are then two windows for my computer's name (already filled in)
> and my password (blank)
>
> And then two buttons "Cancel" and "Odeslat prikazy"
>
> If all this relates to some naughty site then I have just very publicly embarrassed myself but somehow I think there is another explanation. Do we have a linguist in the group who can explain this?
>
> Darrell McDonald
>

3e.

Re: Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 pm (PDT)



> For quite some time I have been using Chrome but I decided to give Safari another try after I installed Lion. When I click on the icon a little popup window appears asking for my password for something called SpiceRack. That's as much as I know about it because most of the words in the popup I don't recognize or understand. If I click on "cancel" the popup goes away and the browser seems to work OK. I thought I might get rid of it by installing a new copy of Safari but the popup persists. In fact if I open Chrome in front of Safari the popup is still on top. Since I cannot attach an image to this message, let me try to type in what it says, minus the diacritical marks.

<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=817140>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:20 pm (PDT)



Wow,

I finally read this for the third time and basically understood it. My takeaway is that when my router needs replacing, I will replace it with a switch. Our computers and other devices have been upgraded so much since we installed the router, that I'm sure we need something faster. So the replacement will be a switch. Meanwhile, we are okay for our small local network. It's just that I now now we could be doing better.

Thank you very much. I'm keeping that one for my archives.

Daly

On Oct 13, 2011, at 6:21 AM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> More that you ever wanted to know?
>
> A router - just the specific router part itself - is a device to
> connect to the Internet and to supply IP addresses from a pool of IP
> addresses in the router. The router acts a bit like an instant
> language translator but for IP addresses.
>
> - Ethernet Switch. You can buy an Ethernet Switch. It's a simple
> device to create an internal network.
>
> Hub or Switch? Before the Ethernet "Switch" there was the Ethernet
> Hub. Both the Hub and the Switch do the same function of making a
> wired network possible but the Switch can move data between different
> devices at the fastest speed the two devices can achieve with the
> Ethernet speed technology built into each device. So if you have 2
> computers with Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 laser printer with 100BaseT
> Fast Ethernet, with a Switch the 2 computers will move data between
> them at the fastest possible speed while they will communicate with the
> laser printer at the slower speed.
>
> An Ethernet Hub will force ALL connected devices to communicate at the
> speed of the slowest connected device. This is why a Switch is
> better. So with 2 Gigabit Ethernet computers and 1 Fast Ethernet
> printer the two computers will be forced to move data between them at
> Fast Ethernet speed instead of Gigabit Ethernet speed.
>
> - Firewall. You can buy a separate device called a Firewall and
> connect it to your mix of network and Internet devices.
>
> - WiFi. You can buy a WiFi base station such as an Apple AirPort WiFi
> base station or other brand.
>
> Many routers incorporate these separate devices such as a firewall, an
> Ethernet switch, WiFi, and a router in one physical box.
>
> Most routers with WiFi and Ethernet and firewall included in the one
> box and just fine for small networks but you have to check the
> specifications to be sure you get things like the Ethernet speed and
> the WiFi speed that you want.
>
> First check the router's specs to see if the WiFi section can do the
> current 3 speed levels. The fastest is 802.11n.
>
> Then check the router's specs to see if the Ethernet section can do the
> current fastest speed of 1000BaseT (aka Gigabit Ethernet).
>
> If the router can't do Gigabit Ethernet speed but only 100BaseT speed
> (aka Fast Ethernet), then your internal network speed will only move
> data at this slower speed.
>
> Getting a separate Ethernet switch that does 1000BaseT Gigabit Ethernet
> speed often a faster alternative to the routers supplied by ISPs. Plus
> it's a more flexible way to add Ethernet ports in a household where new
> computers or printers may be added.
>
> You can add an Ethernet Switch and use the ports on it but you can also
> continue using the Ethernet ports on the router. It will all work
> together. The question then still remains which ports move data at the
> fastest speed.
>
> You can add a separate WiFi base station to this mix and turn off the
> WiFi in the router and turn on and use the WiFi in the separate WiFi
> base station.
>
> In either case, be sure to configure, at the minimum, the WiFi so it
> has a name you recognize and it is encrypted with a password. Wired
> Ethernet networks doesn't need the encryption but WiFi networks do.
>
> Denver dan
>
>
>
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:38:42 -0700, Daly Jessup wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
>>> Howdy.
>>>
>>> Get an Ethernet Switch. Four-port, Five-port, etc. I recently changed
>>> to a 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch when I wired 5 rooms for Ethernet
>>> in my house via conduit.
>>
>> Why is a switch preferable to a router?
>>
>> Daly

5a.

Re: New version of Tex-Edit Plus X just appeared.

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:25 pm (PDT)



Denver dan wrote:
> The extensively thought out decision is inconvenient, confusing, takes
> extra steps, and is unnecessary.

Say what?

Care to elaborate?

keith

5b.

Re: New version of Tex-Edit Plus X just appeared.

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:12 pm (PDT)



Just give me a simple Save As command.

Instead of Lion's mess with NO Save As command. First you have to
duplicate the document. Then you save the duplicated document with a
new file name. Then you close that. Then you're back to the original
document.

Not convenient.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:25:23 -0700, Keith Whaley wrote:
> Denver dan wrote:
>> The extensively thought out decision is inconvenient, confusing, takes
>> extra steps, and is unnecessary.
>
>
> Say what?
>
> Care to elaborate?
>
> keith

5c.

Re: New version of Tex-Edit Plus X just appeared.

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:40 pm (PDT)



>>> I was referring to Apple's nasty and stupid lack of "Save As" command in some of the Lion programs such as Text Edit (Apple's).
>>> Denver Dan
>>
>> Extensively thought-out decision by Apple's programmers and engineers that you (or I) disagree with are "nasty and stupid"....
>>
>> Right.
>
> Meaning ... ?

Meaning that disagreeing with the corporate or programmer's choices doe not make them nasty and stupid.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Help with Installing MS Office 2011 for Mac

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 pm (PDT)




On Oct 20, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Nick Andriash wrote:

> I've had Office 2011 for Mac happily installed for the past 4
> months. However, after all the recent updates I installed, suddenly
> Outlook would no longer open...it simply bounced on the dock a few
> times. So, I tried re-installing Office for Mac, and have run into
> a new problem. The installer says it cannot continue because
> SyncServicesAgent is open, but for the life of me, I cannot find a
> way to close the application.
>
> I am new to Mac and am not sure where I can find a list of open
> applications so I can close this darn file. I do not even know why
> such a file would be open in the first place.

If you try to install a fresh copy of Office on top of an existing
installation, things will assuredly turn out *badly.* In fact, this
is a very common cause of Office frustrations. (Actually, the
biggest source of Office frustrations occurs when users download a
free demo of Office, and then don't uninstall it prior to installing
the full version.)

Uninstall Office 2011 using this script:
http://tinyurl.com/4el7sgu

Once you uninstall Office, do a fresh installation of Office. Follow
these directions precisely:
http://www.office.mvps.org/install/reinstall_office2011.html

Then install all of the updates to Office 2011 in order, restarting
after each update.

That should get you to a good place. 8-)

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.