10/26/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8511

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

1a.
Re: Password management From: PEMiddleton
1b.
Re: Password management From: Bill B.
1c.
Re: Password management From: Bill Boulware
1d.
Re: Password management From: Daly Jessup
1e.
Re: Password management From: Terry Pogue
2a.
Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT From: Bob Cook
2b.
Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT From: Steve B.
2c.
Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT From: N.A. Nada
3a.
New MacBook Pros From: Jim Robertson
3b.
Re: New MacBook Pros From: Jim Saklad
4.
Mac & Parallels From: gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net
5a.
Re: Airport card From: Norm Rowe
5b.
Re: Airport card From: Jim Saklad
5c.
Re: Airport card From: Denver Dan
5d.
Re: Airport card From: Jim Saklad
6a.
WiFi Thermostat "iPod/phone From: Denver dan
6b.
Re: WiFi Thermostat "iPod/phone From: Bill Boulware
7.
Steve Jobs The Movie: Sony Wants Aaron Sorkin to Write It [REPORT] From: Bill Boulware
8.
sharing files from my laptop to the ipad? From: Melissa Tucker
9.
Spotlight: last modified column From: Patsy Price

Messages

1a.

Re: Password management

Posted by: "PEMiddleton" pemiddle@gmail.com   pegsbus3

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 am (PDT)



If you are uncomfortable with having them on the Internet, you can also use
Keepass which is free and if you don't have a Dropbox account, create one.
Again free for 2 GB. I have the portable Keepass installed to my Dropbox.
(Dropbox needs to be installed to each computer) It is available to all my
computers (2 Windows & 1 iMac) Yes, technically it is still on the
Internet, but they would have to go through 2 passwords to get there. 1st
to get into your Dropbox account then again to open your Keepass file. I
have been using this for a few years with no problems.

I also use Lastpass, but am nervous about my financial accounts being on the
net, so don't use it for them. However, everything I have read on it
suggests it is very safe. Just me, I guess.

Peg

--

Peggy Middleton
Check out Carl's blog
A favorite of mine When I Pray
--- @ WiseStamp Signature. Get it now

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Password management

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 am (PDT)



At 2:16 AM +0000 10/25/11, Darrell McDonald wrote:
>As a requirement I want an app that works both on my iPad and my iMac and will sync one with the other.

1Password

BB

--
____________________________
Sent using Eudora in 10.6.8

1c.

Re: Password management

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 am (PDT)



Lastpass - free for basic, $12 for premium
On Oct 24, 2011 10:16 PM, "Darrell McDonald" <fussyoldfart@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> My little adventure with a password request that popped up when I launched
> Safari, has me thinking that I need a proper password manager. This becomes
> particularly evident when I realize that all my email is now available on my
> new iPad which is shared by family members and frequently handed to visitors
> to play with.
>
> As a requirement I want an app that works both on my iPad and my iMac and
> will sync one with the other.
>
> A second requirement or strong preference is that the app be free or low
> priced.
>
> It should also be easy to use and not require any sort of dongle or device
> beyond my own ability to remember one master PW.
>
> I have, of course been browsing the net and I realize there are many
> password vaults/wallets/boxes and most of them will also generate "strong"
> PWs but my initial search did not turn up an app that meets both
> requirements.
>
> I know many members of this forum have experience to share and apps to
> recommend. I look forward to your advice and to a lively discussion :-)
>
> Darrell McDonald
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Password management

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm (PDT)



Daly Jessup
jessup@san.rr.com

On Oct 25, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Bill B. wrote:

> At 2:16 AM +0000 10/25/11, Darrell McDonald wrote:
>> As a requirement I want an app that works both on my iPad and my iMac and will sync one with the other.
>
> 1Password

I would have recommended that as well, or Web Confidential, but he said he wanted free or very inexpensive. 1Password is $70 for a single license. And I don't know if that includes the iPad app.

Daly
1e.

Re: Password management

Posted by: "Terry Pogue" tpogue@comcast.net   terrypogue_2000

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:24 pm (PDT)



I use iPassword on all my computers and my iPad. I only bought it once. I used Web Confidential for years but it seemed to be fading so I switched. IPassword played nicely with WC and imported everything with no problems.
Terry

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:06 PM, Daly Jessup <jessup@san.rr.com> wrote:

> Daly Jessup
> jessup@san.rr.com
>
>
>
> On Oct 25, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Bill B. wrote:
>
>> At 2:16 AM +0000 10/25/11, Darrell McDonald wrote:
>>> As a requirement I want an app that works both on my iPad and my iMac and will sync one with the other.
>>
>> 1Password
>
> I would have recommended that as well, or Web Confidential, but he said he wanted free or very inexpensive. 1Password is $70 for a single license. And I don't know if that includes the iPad app.
>
> Daly
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2a.

Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:44 am (PDT)



Sprint and Apple are investigating a potential problem in the 4S Sprint
carrier file which may be causing the strange slow speeds (only affecting
the iPhone) on Sprint. Also, note that Sprint is the only US carrier still
allowing unlimited data for new customers on the iPhone (or any smart
phone). This could be really impt with iCloud/streaming, Siri and OTA
updates

FWIW, I am on the ocean, near Daytona Beach, FL, with pretty poor signals
for all these carriers. 3G performance: Sprint 262 Kbps, Vz 675 Kbps, ATT
801 Mbps. 4G: Vz 7704 Mbps, Sprint 1566 Mbps (note - Sprint 4G does not
work at my house, this was in Daytona)
Devices used: ATT iPhone, Vz Thunderbolt, Sprint EVO 4G
FWIW, I have seen over 30 Mbps with VZ (many places) and also TMobile (in
Las Vegas)

-Bob

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Howdy.
>
> Sorry to bore folks outside of the US with this info but it is
> interesting.
>
> This is a side-by-side comparison of 3 identical iPhone 4S phones doing
> several different speed tests on 3 different cell networks.
>
> <
> http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/14/att-sprint-and-verizon-iphone-4s-network-speeds-compared-head-to-head-to-head/>
>
>
> Verizon was faster at download small chunks of data like a web page.
>
> ATT was faster at download larger chunks of data like an app or a
> video.
>
> Sprint was abysmally slow at everything.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT

Posted by: "Steve B." macosx@xebrawerx.com   xebrawerx

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 am (PDT)



Dan and others,

There's a huge omission from this test- coverage.

I had AT&T and iPhone 3GS for last two years. The holes in both voice and data coverage were exceedingly frustrating. It's difficult to overstate what it's like battling your phone for two years. The iPhone is an amazing tool way way way beyond a phone. When there are coverage holes it's damned near worthless.

My AT&T contract ran out on Labor Day so I was lined up perfectly for the new iPhone release. Got a Verizon iPhone 4S delivered on day of release and have not regretted it for one second. To the contrary. Places where I consistently experienced dead zones before I'm still surprised are working with the new iPhone. This goes to show how low my expectations have been after two years on AT&T.

In places where I had good AT&T coverage I'm finding Verizon may be a touch slower. That slow down is minor compared to the improved coverage areas. Very happy Verizon customer here.

Steve B.

On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Sorry to bore folks outside of the US with this info but it is
> interesting.
>
> This is a side-by-side comparison of 3 identical iPhone 4S phones doing
> several different speed tests on 3 different cell networks.
>
> <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/14/att-sprint-and-verizon-iphone-4s-network-speeds-compared-head-to-head-to-head/>
>
> Verizon was faster at download small chunks of data like a web page.
>
> ATT was faster at download larger chunks of data like an app or a
> video.
>
> Sprint was abysmally slow at everything.
>
> Denver Dan
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: iPhone 4S Speed Comparison - Verizon, Sprint, ATT

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 pm (PDT)




On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Steve B. wrote:

> My AT&T contract ran out on Labor Day so I was lined up perfectly for the new iPhone release. Got a Verizon iPhone 4S delivered on day of release and have not regretted it for one second. To the contrary. Places where I consistently experienced dead zones before I'm still surprised are working with the new iPhone. This goes to show how low my expectations have been after two years on AT&T.
>
> In places where I had good AT&T coverage I'm finding Verizon may be a touch slower. That slow down is minor compared to the improved coverage areas. Very happy Verizon customer here.

Nah, it just shows you the downside to having to sign a 2-year contract.

I am with AT&T and happy with the coverage in Oregon, but when I was in Colorado, I gould have dropped it in a second if it weren't for the ETF.

Brent
3a.

New MacBook Pros

Posted by: "Jim Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 am (PDT)



I've been peeking at the refurb early 2011 15" MacBook Pros in the Apple
Online store for the past few months, considering an update from my 2.8 GHz
mid 2009 (MacBook Pro 5.3) 2 GHz model, for a few reasons:

1. I spend a fair amount of time running a web-based (Internet Explorer
Only) Electronic Medical Record in Vmware Fusion/Windows 7, and it's my
sense that the quad core processor would distribute that load better so that
I could work in the Mac environment simultaneously.

2. My wife's Core Duo MB Pro cannot be upgraged to Lion.

Within the past two weeks I've noticed two price drops in the base model (2
GHz clock speed quad core i7), and then of course the reason why became
apparent - upgrades in the clock speed of the processor announced yesterday.

These upgrades seem quite modest to me (at best a 20% upgrade in processor
clock speed), although there are some changes in the graphics processors as
well).

For my walking around patient care rounding in a dialysis facility while
running my Windows VM I use the integrated graphics rather than discrete
graphics (the 73 amp-hr battery gives me at most 3.5 hrs with the VM in
constant use). The newer models don't upgrade the battery much (75 amp-hrs).

As I understand it, the quad core processor and faster RAM mean the overall
performance of the 2 GHz quad core i7 machines will be noticeably quicker in
everyday routine use despite the slower clock speed of its processor
(compared to my current machine).

Seems to me the price-point of the early 2011 refurb models ($1359) is
compelling at the moment. Anyone have any contrarian thoughts?

Thanks so much,

--
Jim Robertson

3b.

Re: New MacBook Pros

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am (PDT)



> Seems to me the price-point of the early 2011 refurb models ($1359) is
> compelling at the moment. Anyone have any contrarian thoughts?

I think that's a good analysis.

4.

Mac & Parallels

Posted by: "gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net" gloriamraz@zoominternet.net   gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 am (PDT)



First let me say that I am not a computer genius like you all seem to be. I am amazed at all the knowledge on this group.

I have a Mac with Parallels running on it so I can have Windows XP for my embroidery programs. My Kapersky anti-virus ran out for my Parallels desktop and I want to install the free AVG for the windows side. I went to the Add/Remove screen, clicked on the Kapersky and it started to uninstall. It gets to a screen that says "stopping utilities" and goes not farther...says there is an error and I need to have privileges to do this. I am lost. Help! The AVG won't install until the Kapersky is gone.

5a.

Re: Airport card

Posted by: "Norm Rowe" nrowe46@fairpoint.net   nrowe46

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 am (PDT)



Ok I checked that but the G4 still wants a password. In system presences it show as a yellow icon and to connect. When I connect it wants a password.

Sent from my iPod
5b.

Re: Airport card

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:40 am (PDT)



Try your administrator's login password.

-- From my iPad --

On Oct 25, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Norm Rowe <nrowe46@fairpoint.net> wrote:

> Ok I checked that but the G4 still wants a password. In system presences it show as a yellow icon and to connect. When I connect it wants a password.

5c.

Re: Airport card

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 am (PDT)



Howdy.

Norm, the Apple WiFi AirPort card does not want a password.

If the AirPort WiFi card is being used to connect to a WiFi network,
then the device that generates that WiFi network is what is asking for
the password.

If you have a router with WiFi, then the encrypted WiFi being created
by this router (Apple AirPort base station or any other type of WiFi
router) is asking for the password.

All routers have a reset button. It's often a small recessed button
that you press with a pen point or an unbent paperclip.

The reset will reset the router to factory configuration including the
factory default administrator access name and the default administrator
password and usually deletes/turns off a WiFi network and other
settings.

This admin name and admin password for the router is used to access the
configuration setup for the router and this includes being able to
create/turn on a WiFi network, give the WiFi network a name and a
password. The password the WiFi network is a different password than
the admin access password to access the router itself. The router is
programmed to generate a sort of web-like page for doing this
configuration.

Most routers are accessed for this configuration but using your web
browser program like Safari and typing in the IP address for the
router. Many routers use the same private IP address of:
192.168.1.1. Not all routers use this address, however, so you will
need to check the manual for your router. 192.168.1.1 (the first two
number groups) are reserved for private networks.

The router's manual will have the default factory admin name and
password. It is often something like:

admin name is: "admin"
admin password is: "admin"

Because these are known and generic for many router brands and models
it's a very good idea to access the router configuration page and
change the admin name and admin password to something private.

After you access the router as an administrator, you can change the
admin default name and password to something private just for your own
use.

If you have an Apple brand AirPort Base Station (which is for creating
a WiFi network), then you use the Airport Utility app to administer it
and configue it. The Airport Utility is found in the
Applicatlions/Utilities folder on all Macs.

Denver Dan

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:03:24 -0400, Norm wrote:
> OK I recently got an an Apple wireless Airport Card version 9.52 and it
> installed but now wants a password. As I'm nor sure how to erase this or
> install a new password would some one please be kind enough to inform me
> of how to get this car to word? I does show as working in system preferences
> Norm.

5d.

Re: Airport card

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 am (PDT)



> Norm, the Apple WiFi AirPort card does not want a password.

But the system might conceivably require an administrative password for access.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

WiFi Thermostat "iPod/phone

Posted by: "Denver dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 pm (PDT)



Articles today about a startup company called Nest making a thermostat called Nest. Designed by Tony Fadell who had a major role in iPod design. Nest is WiFi enabled, simple, controlled by rotating the round wall device, or controlled remotely from iPhone, iPod, iPad.

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
iFrom Denver Dan's iClouded iPhone
— my magical animal is the butterfly
6b.

Re: WiFi Thermostat "iPod/phone

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 pm (PDT)



FWIW, Verizon and Motorola have a new Home Monitoring & Control service and
sell thermostats, door locks, cameras, appliance panels, electrical outlets,
light controls, etc that all can be controlled via iPhone or Android App.
The replacement items (thermostats, door locks, appliance outlets, door and
window sensors, etc) are not cheap and the service is $9.99 a month but if
you have the money and want the convenience you can control the temperature,
turn lights on, start dinner, unlock the door, etc, etc all from your
phone. If I had a $1,000 or so just to blow (after everything else), I
would consider this all:

Landing Page:
https://shop.verizon.com/buy/Monitoring-Energy-Saving/Home-Control/Verizon-Home-Monitoring-and-Control/cat30006

Thermostat:
https://shop.verizon.com/buy/Digital-Thermostat/Home-Control/Verizon-Home-Monitoring-and-Control/Smart-Thermostats-Control-Panels/Smart-Thermostat/sku40012

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 16:10, Denver dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Articles today about a startup company called Nest making a thermostat
> called Nest. Designed by Tony Fadell who had a major role in iPod design.
> Nest is WiFi enabled, simple, controlled by rotating the round wall device,
> or controlled remotely from iPhone, iPod, iPad.
>
> !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
> iFrom Denver Dan's iClouded iPhone
> � my magical animal is the butterfly
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7.

Steve Jobs The Movie: Sony Wants Aaron Sorkin to Write It [REPORT]

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm (PDT)



http://feeds.mashable.com/~r/Mashable/~3/LJK6JuMdVKA/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Steve Jobs The Movie:
Sony Wants Aaron Sorkin to Write It [REPORT] via Mashable! by Christina
Warren on 10/25/11


Sony is moving forward on a cinematic adaptation of Walter Isaacson's
biography of Steve Jobs, and is courting Aaron Sorkin to write the
screenplay, according to one report.

The LA Times cites a source "briefed on the project but not authorized
to speak publicly," who says that Sorkin is on a shortlist of
screenwriters being considered for the project. The West Wing creator
is considering the project, this source says, but has made no decision.

Sorkin won an Academy Award for his adaptation of another Silicon
Valley story, The Social Network. The writer also has a strong
relationship with Sony — which produced The Social Network and the last
film he penned, Moneyball.

Sorkin seems like a natural fit, given his penchant for witty dialogue
and strong but flawed male protagonists. But there are a couple of
reasons why he might not choose to do it. The fact that the Jobs story
treads the same sort of tech-based territory as The Social Network may
prevent the writer from taking on the project. Typecasting is a major
fear in Hollywood, and it's not just for actors. Sorkin may not want to
be pegged as a writer of geeky drama.

Additionally, as the LA Times points out, Sorkin actually knew Jobs.
Two weeks ago, Sorkin penned his own memories of Jobs in a column for
Newsweek. Whether or not that relationship would conflict with the
process of bringing Jobs to the silver screen is something Sorkin will
have to decide for himself.

But for film and Apple fans, the thought of a Sorkin-penned screenplay
is extremely attractive. It's hard not to become enamored with the idea
of what a writer of Sorkin's caliber could do with a character like
Jobs.

SEE ALSO: "The Social Network": Mashable's Complete Movie Review

Part of what made The Social Network such an achievement was that the
work of Sorkin, director David Fincher and Jesse Eisenberg elevated an
idea that was laughable (a Facebook movie?) into a work of art.

With The Social Network, there was an onus on the cast and crew to
convince the audience that Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg were worthy of
being immortalized on film. With Jobs, that argument doesn't have to be
made. The legacy and Apple is implicitly understood.

The challenge with making a film about Steve Jobs is the inverse of
making one about Facebook; it's not about convincing an audience that a
film needs to be made, it's about living up to the expectations set
forth by the character that is center to the story itself.

Sony has a good track record for these sorts of projects. With Mark
Gordan (Saving Private Ryan) as producer, it has a shot at succeeding
artistically and financially. Do you think Sorkin would be a good
choice for the project? Let us know in the comments.

More About: Aaron Sorkin, apple, steve jobs, the social network

For more Entertainment coverage:
- Follow Mashable Entertainment on Twitter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Subscribe to the Entertainment channel
- Download our free apps for Android, Mac, iPhone and iPad




Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Mashable! using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8.

sharing files from my laptop to the ipad?

Posted by: "Melissa Tucker" melissatucker4@att.net

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 pm (PDT)



Is it possible for me to access my laptop files from my ipad when computer sharingg is turned through itunes? Or is this done from one computer to another not encluding the ipad? Just curious how this would work.

9.

Spotlight: last modified column

Posted by: "Patsy Price" beyondwords@shaw.ca   beyondwords2

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 am (PDT)



In Snow Leopard: I'm not very adept at using Spotlight. My biggest frustration:

When Spotlight finds a bunch of files, I need to see the date & time
last modified. It shows me the date & time last opened. So if I open
a file to look at it, Spotlight shows me when I just opened it.

I almost always need a column for last modified. Occasionally I also
want last created. I understand there's some way to adjust view
options. How?

Patsy

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.