10/25/2011

[MacBook] Digest Number 3550

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

1a.
Re: OS X Lion - use of Google From: Duncan Fowler
1b.
Re: OS X Lion - use of Google From: Rob Gendreau
1c.
Re: OS X Lion - use of Google From: Dunc
1d.
Re: OS X Lion - use of Google From: Rob Gendreau
2.1.
Re: OS X Lion From: Russ Josephson
2.2.
Re: OS X Lion From: Glenn Gutierrez
3a.
Re: MPB SSD or HDD From: Anthony Smith

Messages

1a.

Re: OS X Lion - use of Google

Posted by: "Duncan Fowler" duncfowler@gmail.com   dfowler

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 am (PDT)



I have a Droid and have been using Google for calendar and contacts.

I am also a Office for Mac user and have basically given up on Syncing
Google's data with OFM.

Now I will be switching to the iPhone 4S.

Does anyone have a good solution for syncing the iPhone, OFM and an I Pad
with Google.
Or syncing OFM with any Apple calendars and Contacts?

I can live without Google as long as I can sync the Apple and Office for Mac
products.

Dunc

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: OS X Lion - use of Google

Posted by: "Rob Gendreau" rob.gendreau@gmail.com   rob_gendreau

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 am (PDT)



Exchange works great with Outlook and the Apple mobile devices; not so hot with Google.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Duncan Fowler <duncfowler@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Droid and have been using Google for calendar and contacts.
>
> I am also a Office for Mac user and have basically given up on Syncing
> Google's data with OFM.
>
> Now I will be switching to the iPhone 4S.
>
> Does anyone have a good solution for syncing the iPhone, OFM and an I Pad
> with Google.
> Or syncing OFM with any Apple calendars and Contacts?
>
> I can live without Google as long as I can sync the Apple and Office for Mac
> products.
>
> Dunc
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: OS X Lion - use of Google

Posted by: "Dunc" duncfowler@gmail.com   dfowler

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 am (PDT)



Rob, Does that include Outlook for Mac?
Is there a way to get an exchange account if you do not run servers etc?

--- In macbook@yahoogroups.com, Rob Gendreau <rob.gendreau@...> wrote:
>
> Exchange works great with Outlook and the Apple mobile devices; not so hot with Google.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Duncan Fowler <duncfowler@...> wrote:
>
> > I have a Droid and have been using Google for calendar and contacts.
> >
> > I am also a Office for Mac user and have basically given up on Syncing
> > Google's data with OFM.
> >
> > Now I will be switching to the iPhone 4S.
> >
> > Does anyone have a good solution for syncing the iPhone, OFM and an I Pad
> > with Google.
> > Or syncing OFM with any Apple calendars and Contacts?
> >
> > I can live without Google as long as I can sync the Apple and Office for Mac
> > products.
> >
> > Dunc
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

1d.

Re: OS X Lion - use of Google

Posted by: "Rob Gendreau" rob.gendreau@gmail.com   rob_gendreau

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 pm (PDT)



Yeah, it includes the Mac version of Outlook.

There are various online outfits that will run an Exchange server for you, for a fee of course.

Rob
On Oct 24, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Dunc wrote:

> Rob, Does that include Outlook for Mac?
> Is there a way to get an exchange account if you do not run servers etc?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.1.

Re: OS X Lion

Posted by: "Russ Josephson" russ_josephson@yahoo.com   russ_josephson

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm (PDT)



Maybe a bit off topic, but someone told me I should be updating my iPhone 4 to a new OS.   I haven't synched it to my iMac lately because I was having the HD upgraded to 2TB.  Is synching going to upgrade the phone to a new OS?   If my iMac doesn't have Lion, will that be a problem?

Thanks.

 
"Ignorant in Kaua'i"

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.2.

Re: OS X Lion

Posted by: "Glenn Gutierrez" yah@glenngutierrez.com   glenng@ymail.com

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:32 pm (PDT)



On 24 Oct 2011, at 3:14 PM, Russ Josephson wrote:

> Is synching going to upgrade the phone to a new OS?

Nope.

iTunes will probably suggest iOS 5, but you have to give the "OK" before any download or upgrade happens.

> If my iMac doesn't have Lion, will that be a problem?

Nope.

I've had iOS 5 on my iPhone 3GS, and then on my iPhone 4S since each release day. I only upgraded to OS X Lion two days ago. You simply won't get the extra, free iCloud features.

I do recommend iOS 5, by the way. It ran very nicely on the older iPhone, and added some great features. It even solved a couple of lag issues and resulted in ~20% better battery life (some have noted otherwise--check settings and kill loitering apps if so).

OS X Lion is not as vital, but I am digging the refinements and haven't run into any showstoppers yet.

G

3a.

Re: MPB SSD or HDD

Posted by: "Anthony Smith" anthonysmith1288@gmail.com   smith.tony1988

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 pm (PDT)



I was wanting to use it as my main drive I like having my disk drive in the
MBP I play The Sims 3 and need the disk in the drive to play. I play games
such as Diablo 2, StarCraft 2, WoW those alone are close to 100GB of space
and still growing I know Diablo 3 is coming out soon so I decided to just
use the 320GB HDD I got with my Mac and use the 128GB SSD as an external for
now, I do not know for what as it does not hold much.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Rob Gendreau <rob.gendreau@gmail.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> The usual method is to delete it :)
>
> Are you putting it in an Optibay? If you did that you'd have the best of
> both worlds. I would think that these days the optical drive is not so
> necessary.
>
> If not, just buy a USB powered enclosure for the drive and use it as an
> external. Or do cloud storage.
>
> Or delete what you don't immediately need.
>
> Hard to give much advice without more specifics.
>
> Rob
> On Oct 23, 2011, at 6:34 PM, Tony! wrote:
>
> > I have the 13" 2011 MacBook Pro. I have the 320GB Apple HDD and I also
> just bought a Samsung 128GB SSD. I love the speed of the SSD but I love the
> space on my HDD and ideas of how to go about going from 200GB of data down
> to close to just 100GB
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.