10/21/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8504

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: New version of Tex-Edit Plus X just appeared.

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 am (PDT)



On 21 October 2011 04:40, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>
> Meaning that disagreeing with the corporate or programmer's choices doe not
> make them nasty and stupid.
>

Thanks. (I agree.)

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Safari Browser, Password request. unknown language.

Posted by: "Darrell McDonald" fussyoldfart@gmail.com   fussyoldfart

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am (PDT)



Thanks for that Jim, at least I now know I'm not alone trying to deal with this nuisance. I say "at least" because the uninstaller could not find, on my computer, the files it looked for. I will now try to follow some of the other suggestions. I still don't know what the _311 it is!

Darrell

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:
>
> > For quite some time I have been using Chrome but I decided to give Safari another try after I installed Lion. When I click on the icon a little popup window appears asking for my password for something called SpiceRack. That's as much as I know about it because most of the words in the popup I don't recognize or understand. If I click on "cancel" the popup goes away and the browser seems to work OK. I thought I might get rid of it by installing a new copy of Safari but the popup persists. In fact if I open Chrome in front of Safari the popup is still on top. Since I cannot attach an image to this message, let me try to type in what it says, minus the diacritical marks.
>
> <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=817140>
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3a.

Re: Digest Number 8503

Posted by: "Peter Gold" peter@knowhowpro.com   idmacguy

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:22 am (PDT)



It's not clear - is this a PostScript or PostScript emulator printer, or
non-PostScript? I thought PPDs don't apply to non-PostScript printers. I
have a non-PostScript Brother HL-5140 on Snow Leopard using CUPS just fine,
but would like to know what's ahead for me when I install Lion.

Thanks.

Regards,

Peter
_______________________
Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

2a. Re: Heads-up re. OS X drivers for older Brother laser printers
Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net denverdan22180
Date: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm ((PDT))
Howdy.
Well, Cheapskate (couldn't resist), just go ahead and install the
entire driver package. PPDs are no big deal and are nothing to worry
about.
We used to call PPDs PostScript Printer Definition files but I guess
that name is no longer quite accurate.
In any case, you can manually delete PPD files after install.
See Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Heads-up re. OS X drivers for older Brothe

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 am (PDT)



Peter,
In the user manual for my Brother HL-5170DN, it says this:
- - -
Popular Printer Emulation Support (HL-5140/5150D/5170DN only)
These printers support the following printer emulation modes;
- HP LaserJet (PCL6)
- PostScript Level 3 language emulation (Brother BR-Script Level 3)
- Epson FX-850
- IBM Proprinter XL.
- HL-5140:only HP LaserJet (PCL6)

When you use DOS application software or Windows version 3.0 or
earlier, you can use any of these emulations to operate the
HL-5150D/5170DN printers. The printers also support auto-emulation
switching between HP, Brother BR-Script 3 and Epson or HP, BR-Script
3 and IBM. If you want to set the printer emulation, you can do it
using the Remote Printer Console Program.
- - -
(Watch your subject line...)

Cheers,
Dave

-=-=-=-

>It's not clear - is this a PostScript or PostScript emulator printer, or
>non-PostScript? I thought PPDs don't apply to non-PostScript printers. I
>have a non-PostScript Brother HL-5140 on Snow Leopard using CUPS just fine,
>but would like to know what's ahead for me when I install Lion.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Peter

4a.

Spotlight Preferences

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:00 am (PDT)



I have a Macbook Pro running 10.7.2, which is usually attached to 2 external drives which include a total of 7 partitions.

Each and every time I restart the computer, and look in System Preferences - Spotlight - Privacy, I find that only 3 of the partitions are listed - the same 3 each time. Each time I drag the icons for the other partitions over the window to add them, which works perfectly.

Until the next restart.

It occurred to me that perhaps the machine was getting booted up quickly enough that the eternals weren't fully visible to the OS soon enough to get listed, but on the one hand, 3 ARE listed, and on the other, I've tried booting with <Option> held down and waited until all the external partitions that are bootable (most are) are listed on the screen before actually selecting my primary (internal) hard drive, but this did not solve the problem.

I thought to delete the relevant preferences file, but I can't locate it.

Any suggestions?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

4b.

Re: Spotlight Preferences

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 am (PDT)



On Oct 21, 2011 12:00 PM, "Jim Saklad" <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I have a Macbook Pro running 10.7.2, which is usually attached to 2
external drives which include a total of 7 partitions.
>
> Each and every time I restart the computer, and look in System Preferences
- Spotlight - Privacy, I find that only 3 of the partitions are listed - the
same 3 each time. Each time I drag the icons for the other partitions over
the window to add them, which works perfectly.
>
> Until the next restart.
>
> It occurred to me that perhaps the machine was getting booted up quickly
enough that the eternals weren't fully visible to the OS soon enough to get
listed, but on the one hand, 3 ARE listed, and on the other, I've tried
booting with <Option> held down and waited until all the external partitions
that are bootable (most are) are listed on the screen before actually
selecting my primary (internal) hard drive, but this did not solve the
problem.
>
> I thought to delete the relevant preferences file, but I can't locate it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

Jim,
Read this link and comments.
http://jnassi.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/lion-spotlight-doesnt-like-external-hard-drives/

Bob
67 330 GTC
05 430 Scuderia

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Spotlight Preferences

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 pm (PDT)



> Jim,
> Read this link and comments.
> http://jnassi.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/lion-spotlight-doesnt-like-external-hard-drives/
> Bob

Well, it's interesting, but not helpful. It focuses on externals mounting and dismounting, with which I have NO problem.

>> I have a Macbook Pro running 10.7.2, which is usually attached to 2 external drives which include a total of 7 partitions.
>>
>> Each and every time I restart the computer, and look in System Preferences - Spotlight - Privacy, I find that only 3 of the partitions are listed - the same 3 each time. Each time I drag the icons for the other partitions over the window to add them, which works perfectly.
>>
>> Until the next restart.
>>
>> It occurred to me that perhaps the machine was getting booted up quickly enough that the eternals weren't fully visible to the OS soon enough to get listed, but on the one hand, 3 ARE listed, and on the other, I've tried booting with <Option> held down and waited until all the external partitions that are bootable (most are) are listed on the screen before actually selecting my primary (internal) hard drive, but this did not solve the problem.
>>
>> I thought to delete the relevant preferences file, but I can't locate it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Help with Installing MS Office 2011 for Mac

Posted by: "Nick Andriash" Nickster248@telus.net   andriash2005

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 am (PDT)




On 2011-10-20, at 9:36 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> That should get you to a good place. 8-)

An update!! I was finally able to revert back to a Time Machine backup, dated October 14, and now everything seems back to normal. I have a fully functioning MS Office 2011 Suite, and everything seems to be as stable now as it was back on the 14th.

Thanks again Randy and Denver Dan for your help.

--
 Nick Andriash 
andriash@gmail.com
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB, OS X 10.7.1
iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
iPhone4 16GB

6a.

Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "pat412255" pat412@mac.com   pat412255

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 am (PDT)



I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico near Farmington. My family has used Blackberry phones with AT&T coverage for several years, but we are ready to make the switch to the iPhone. We are undecided whether to opt for AT&T as the carrier or change to Verizon since both are available in this area. Our plan is to buy an inexpensive rechargeable phone to test each service before buying the iPhones & entering into a contract with a carrier. Does anyone know if the quality of coverage would differ between such an inexpensive option versus a phone on contract? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

6b.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 am (PDT)



On Oct 21, 2011 1:31 PM, "pat412255" <pat412@mac.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico near Farmington. My family
has used Blackberry phones with AT&T coverage for several years, but we are
ready to make the switch to the iPhone. We are undecided whether to opt for
AT&T as the carrier or change to Verizon since both are available in this
area. Our plan is to buy an inexpensive rechargeable phone to test each
service before buying the iPhones & entering into a contract with a carrier.
Does anyone know if the quality of coverage would differ between such an
inexpensive option versus a phone on contract? Any advice will be
appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Pat

Last I knew, both had a two week return policy. If you travel, Vz has much
better coverage out west. You might want to consider Sprint, the last
carrier to offer unlimited data.
Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6c.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:55 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

I've had excellent signal strength and coverage with my iPhones and
ATT. I have family in Colorado (Teller County and Denver area) and
even had ATT coverage north and west of Pikes Peak. I had a good ATT
signal on the entire trip (5 hours by car with iPhone 3G) from Denver
east to the Colorado/Kansas border (Greeley County, Kansas) a year ago
August. This was through the "great empty" of eastern Colorado via
Limon and Eads and state highway 96 all with a very very small
population.

Also last August I had excellent ATT signal from San Diego all the way
up the coast to San Francisco during a two week trip. The exception
was the very large California state park rural area north of San Simeon
between the coastal mountains and the Pacific ocean along the cliffs
there. Lost signal for about 30 minutes there.

I'm now using an iPhone 4 and it provides excellent signal here in
northern Virginia except in some rural mountain areas. I've had some
signal problems in NYC/Brooklyn, but rare, with it in large buildings
on ground floor places like a restaurant where the table is in the back
and a long away from a window.

Here in the Maryland/DC/northern Virginia region ATT and Sprint now
have signal in the subway tunnels. Verizon had a contract for this
years ago. In NYC, thousands of people use their ATT iPhones and iPads
in the subways and in the tunnels.

The new iPhone 4S is supposed to have an improved antenna system but
I've seen very few technical remarks in reviews on it.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:31:41 +0000, pat412255 wrote:
> I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico near Farmington. My
> family has used Blackberry phones with AT&T coverage for several
> years, but we are ready to make the switch to the iPhone. We are
> undecided whether to opt for AT&T as the carrier or change to Verizon
> since both are available in this area. Our plan is to buy an
> inexpensive rechargeable phone to test each service before buying the
> iPhones & entering into a contract with a carrier. Does anyone know
> if the quality of coverage would differ between such an inexpensive
> option versus a phone on contract? Any advice will be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Pat

6d.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:42 pm (PDT)



One thing I noticed with ATT out west is having voice coverage but only
ROAMING data coverage....and you are limited to an astounding 115MB/day.
Not good when you use 8GB/month.
-Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6e.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "James C. Hamm" machamm@gmail.com   jimhamm90

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 pm (PDT)



Bob, that's an interesting comment on "roaming" data coverage. I wasn't aware of that. We have AT&T, live in Arizona, travel the west a lot, and I wasn't aware of that limitation. Anyway, back to the original question: we've had AT&T since the first iPhone came out and have been pleased with its coverage. Having said that, if I were to start over now, I'd look hard at Verizon as I think they probably have better coverage throughout the US than AT&T. However, if you don't travel too much, that probably isn't a big factor. One aspect of AT&T is they allow rollover (unused) minutes, which is a nice feature.

Pat, if you've got some friends with a mobile phone, drive around your area and see how the coverage is with both carriers, if that is possible. If you'll use the phone mostly at home, you'll definitely want a good signal there.....Jim

On Oct 21, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Bob Cook wrote:

> One thing I noticed with ATT out west is having voice coverage but only
> ROAMING data coverage....and you are limited to an astounding 115MB/day.
> Not good when you use 8GB/month.
> -Bob
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6f.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:28 pm (PDT)



Dan, I find it interesting that you had good signal in Colorado. I moved there for work and was lucky to get a signal about half the time. That was with both and iPhone 3GS on contract and a Palm Treo on a pay as you go. Worse coverage and signal strength I have every had.

I had great signal and coverage in Portland, Oregon with the Treo on both post and pre-paid, and when traveling for work, if the population was over a 200 per square mile. Same with the iPhone.

Now, if you had problems with getting a signal near San Simeon, then you were probably in a valley in the coastal mountains. Remember it is ground based cellular, not satellite.

I have used both cellphones while traveling for work to "wide spots in the road" and Verizon had about 2% more coverage, but again, when the population is below 200 per square mile, don't expect a signal. Except in Colorado and southern Wyoming, those are the two biggest black holes I have ever seen.

Brent

On Oct 21, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I've had excellent signal strength and coverage with my iPhones and
> ATT. I have family in Colorado (Teller County and Denver area) and
> even had ATT coverage north and west of Pikes Peak. I had a good ATT
> signal on the entire trip (5 hours by car with iPhone 3G) from Denver
> east to the Colorado/Kansas border (Greeley County, Kansas) a year ago
> August. This was through the "great empty" of eastern Colorado via
> Limon and Eads and state highway 96 all with a very very small
> population.
>
> Also last August I had excellent ATT signal from San Diego all the way
> up the coast to San Francisco during a two week trip. The exception
> was the very large California state park rural area north of San Simeon
> between the coastal mountains and the Pacific ocean along the cliffs
> there. Lost signal for about 30 minutes there.
>
> I'm now using an iPhone 4 and it provides excellent signal here in
> northern Virginia except in some rural mountain areas. I've had some
> signal problems in NYC/Brooklyn, but rare, with it in large buildings
> on ground floor places like a restaurant where the table is in the back
> and a long away from a window.
>
> Here in the Maryland/DC/northern Virginia region ATT and Sprint now
> have signal in the subway tunnels. Verizon had a contract for this
> years ago. In NYC, thousands of people use their ATT iPhones and iPads
> in the subways and in the tunnels.
>
> The new iPhone 4S is supposed to have an improved antenna system but
> I've seen very few technical remarks in reviews on it.
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:31:41 +0000, pat412255 wrote:
> > I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico near Farmington. My
> > family has used Blackberry phones with AT&T coverage for several
> > years, but we are ready to make the switch to the iPhone. We are
> > undecided whether to opt for AT&T as the carrier or change to Verizon
> > since both are available in this area. Our plan is to buy an
> > inexpensive rechargeable phone to test each service before buying the
> > iPhones & entering into a contract with a carrier. Does anyone know
> > if the quality of coverage would differ between such an inexpensive
> > option versus a phone on contract? Any advice will be appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Pat
>

6g.

Re: Cell Phone Provider Coverage Question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Colorado is almost the size of Germany and the entire west half is
mountains so signal depends on where you are. Denver to the Kansas
line is pretty flat. Good signal. I even had good signal on my ATT
cell in Teller County (county seat is Cripple Creek) - most of Teller
County is above 8,500 feet in altitude and all mountains.

Wyoming is the size of Colorado but has the smallest population of all
50 states so cell coverage where there are fewer than 500,000 people in
a vast space can be sparse.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:28:49 -0700, N.A. Nada wrote:
> Dan, I find it interesting that you had good signal in Colorado. I
> moved there for work and was lucky to get a signal about half the
> time. That was with both and iPhone 3GS on contract and a Palm Treo
> on a pay as you go. Worse coverage and signal strength I have every
> had.
>
> I had great signal and coverage in Portland, Oregon with the Treo on
> both post and pre-paid, and when traveling for work, if the
> population was over a 200 per square mile. Same with the iPhone.
>
> Now, if you had problems with getting a signal near San Simeon, then
> you were probably in a valley in the coastal mountains. Remember it
> is ground based cellular, not satellite.
>
> I have used both cellphones while traveling for work to "wide spots
> in the road" and Verizon had about 2% more coverage, but again, when
> the population is below 200 per square mile, don't expect a signal.
> Except in Colorado and southern Wyoming, those are the two biggest
> black holes I have ever seen.
>
> Brent
>

7.

Photoshop CS5 books

Posted by: "Les Streater" lesstreater@marpubs.demon.co.uk   linernutuk

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 am (PDT)



I have finally bitten the bullet to upgrade from CS2 to CS5 Creative Suite.

But I am aware that there are so many new features built in to the new programme, with new tools and new shortcuts.

Can anyone give me any recommendations as to a good book to see me over the initial hurdles? One that they have used and found to be a good practical guide? Or conversely, one that they bought and found to be a waste of money???

Looking for an overall guide rather than a specialist one aimed at photgraphers or illustrators for example.

I used to find the Adobe Training Manuals pretty good in years past, are they still recommended?

Thanks

Les Streater
www.lesstreater.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Strange Share name (was: Strange Terminal prompt)

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:24 pm (PDT)



I think the problem originates (or it is another symptom) here:

Under System Preferences > Sharing the name entered in the field is this:

DavesMini

Below that is "File Sharing: On", and

Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and
administrators [sic] all volumes, at afp://heather.local/ or
"DavesMini".

I have never seen the "afp://heather.local/" before. Shouldn't this
be "DavesMini.local"?

(Heather is another Mac on the LAN here at my home. "Heather" and
"DavesMini" have different IP addresses (via DHCP). No one here is
capable of hacking my computer -- that would be, if anyone, me. ;-) )

What is the cause of this "double share name"? How/why did it happen?
How to revert?

Thanks.
Dave

-=-=-=-

>Until today the command-line prompt in Terminal has been:
>
> Dave$_
>
>(the underscore is the blinking cursor). "Dave" is my user name.
>
>Sometime today it changed to:
>
> Heather:~ Dave$_
>
>I tried "exit" which logs me out, and rebooting. The prompt remains the same.
>
>Heather is another user on the LAN, but not on my Mac. I am the sole
>user (and admin) on my Mac.
>
>What does this change in prompt mean? And how did it happen? How to
>change it back?
>
>FWIW, today I was doing some "default writes" attempting to get
>Finder to make visible the invisible files.
>
>System Preferences > Sharing shows that no one is connected to my Mac.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

9.

Thunderbolt converters?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 pm (PDT)



The release of Thunderbolt ports (which was last year?) on Macs seems
to have caught the industry flat-footed. I see an express card and
one or 2 PCI cards, but no hubs or adapters (ie, TB to esata or
Firewire).

Anybody see anything on the horizon?

Thanks,
Dave

10.

Thunderbolt display firmware update

Posted by: "Bob" 1belami@gmail.com   bombino21217

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:07 pm (PDT)



FWIW: Software Update does not pick up this update, which is needed to
display correctly from a new Mac Air, for example, especially using the TB
port with an adaptor to project onto a screen:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1453

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

11a.

Re: Suggestions on a new computer - iMac or Mac Mini

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:38 pm (PDT)



Thanks Jim.

It seems though that if you get the equivalent Mini to the base Imac
model, you pay $799 with a lower speed (5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm) hard
drive, lower graphics card. Though the mini seems to have a more
recent Bluetooth standard (4.0 vs 2.1 on the Imac). Given that it is
only $300 higher and for that you get the monitor, keyboard, mouse and
I can use my existing monitor as an additional screen, I'm leaning
toward going with the iMac.

How easy though is it to upgrade memory and change out the hard drive
on the iMac versus the mini? I've been able to change the memory and
hard drive on my previous desktops and G4 powerbook though I took the
iBook to dealer to replace hard-drive.

Jay

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:15 PM, Jim Harry wrote:

> > I wanted some advice from you all on whether it makes more sense to
> > get an Mac mini or an Imac keeping in mind the balance between cost
> > and capabilities.
> >
> > For my tower upgrade, I figure I have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse
> and
> > the 23" Cinema HD
> > Display that works well. I have an external Isight camera that I use
> > with this. Is there any reason not to get the Mac Mini. I know in
> > the past the Mac-mini was targeted at switchers. The tower works
> fine
> > for all my current needs but given that it can't work with all the
> new
> > IOS and cloud software I'm some what forced to upgrade. I'm also
> > trying to do so as cheaply as possible.
> >
> > Same issue with my kids, they are on a IMac 1.25 GHz G4. Complaining
> > about the speed of accessing their web-sites and also that it is
> > incompatible with some software at their school and with iCloud. I
> > have a spare Viewsonic VGA monitor that I figure could be used
> with a
> > Mac Mini though I'm not quite sure if the latest Mac-mini's allow a
> > VGA connection of if there is an adaptor. So should I get an Imac to
> > replace the kid's current iMac or get a Mac Mini.
> >
>
> I think the Mini would fit both of your needs quite nicely. I think
> it will
> allow you to hook up to a VGA monitor via a DVI to VGA adapter.
>
> Or... you could buy yourself a new iMac 27" and give the kids your 23"
> monitor and decide who gets your keyboard mouse and the ones that
> come with
> the iMac. :)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

11b.

Re: Suggestions on a new computer - iMac or Mac Mini

Posted by: "Jim Harry" jim.harry@harryfamily.com   jnharry

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm (PDT)



On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Jay Abraham <jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net>wrote:

> Given that it is
> only $300 higher and for that you get the monitor, keyboard, mouse and
> I can use my existing monitor as an additional screen, I'm leaning
> toward going with the iMac.
>

I'd agree.

How easy though is it to upgrade memory and change out the hard drive
> on the iMac versus the mini?
>

Memory upgrades on either are straight forward. The hard drives on both are
not intended to be user-replaceable, but is possible. The Mac Mini is
'easier' than the iMac since you have to pull the glass from the iMac.

These iFixit.com guides will give you an idea of the level of difficulty:

Mac Mini
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac-mini-Model-A1347-Hard-Drive-Replacement/3113/1

iMac
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac-Intel-27-Inch-Hard-Drive-Replacement/1634/1

Jim H

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

12a.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "Don" y-groups.96705@hawaiiantel.net   don.96705

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:25 pm (PDT)



Daly

Your internet connection, whether DSL or Cable, is not Ethernet or WiFi. You need a device that converts from your ISP's hardware protocol to Ethernet and/or WiFi. This device is a Modulator/Demodulator [Modem]. In the S_L_O_W dialup phone-line days these were standalone devices. They have now been incorporated into routers.

The average home "router" includes: Modem, IP address assignment [DHCP], Firewall, Network Address Translation [NAT], Switch, Wireless hub.

Routers typically have five ethernet ports. If that is enough you don't need a switch. If you need more you can hang a switch on every port on the router.

I have used DSL routers & Cable routers. I have not seen a router that supports both though they may exist.

Don at 21.9N 159.6W
retired network & systems administrator at Blockbuster Video
Mac Pro 2-2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X 10.7.1
6GB Ram

On Oct 20, 2011, at 15:20, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Wow,
>
> I finally read this for the third time and basically understood it. My takeaway is that when my router needs replacing, I will replace it with a switch. Our computers and other devices have been upgraded so much since we installed the router, that I'm sure we need something faster. So the replacement will be a switch. Meanwhile, we are okay for our small local network. It's just that I now now we could be doing better.
>
> Thank you very much. I'm keeping that one for my archives.
>
> Daly
>

13a.

Re: how to recognize usb flash drive

Posted by: "titnaw titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm (PDT)



yes thank you , When I go to finder I can see the usb drive.. When I click
finder it shows up in Devices. Where do I see preferences. I have
applications, documents, downloads, Movies etc but I do not see preferences
thank you
titnaw

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Howdy.
>
> Are you using Mac OS X 10.7 Lion? If so, the option of displaying
> hard drive icons on the Desktop is off by default in Lion (but not off
> by default in earlier versions of OS X). Why off? Who knows.
>
> Go to:
>
> Finder > Preferences.
>
> Click the General icon in Finder Preferences. Note the check boxes for
> "Show these items on the desktop."
>
> Put a check in all four of them. The flash/thumb drive should
> immediately show the Desktop icon for it.
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:22:05 +0000, ivan wrote:
> > I have a flash drive in the usb port but can not find out how to find
> > it on my iMac. Is there a "computer icon like there is on the PC
> > Learning and having troubles. I will take a class soon but need to
> > explore first
> > thanks
> > Pat30
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

13b.

Re: how to recognize usb flash drive

Posted by: "titnaw titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm (PDT)



Thank You,
II do not see it on the desktop-- where would it be

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Frank T <fjt2@mac.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> One of the best things about a Mac is when you insert the flash drive the
> drive will appear on the Desktop for your use.
>
> When you stop using the drive you must press Command-E to eject the drive.
> Don't forget to highlight the drive first.
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "ivan" <pat30@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have a flash drive in the usb port but can not find out how to find it
> on my iMac. Is there a "computer icon like there is on the PC
> > Learning and having troubles. I will take a class soon but need to
> explore first
> > thanks
> > Pat30
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

13c.

Re: how to recognize usb flash drive

Posted by: "OBrien" bco@hiwaay.net   conorboru

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm (PDT)



On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:13:03 -0400, titnaw titnaw wrote:
> Where do I see preferences. I have
> applications, documents, downloads, Movies etc but I do not see preferences

If you mean system preferences, click on the Apple at the upper left corner of the monitor and select System Preferences in the drop-down.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.