10/26/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2742

Messages In This Digest (19 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Read It Later export to Instapaper

Posted by: "whiterabbit32@gmail.com" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:27 pm (PDT)



Is there a significant difference between Read It Later and Instapaper? I have Read It Later. Have not tried Instapaper.

Alice
Little White Rabbit

Sent from my iPad 2

On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Prokic Roger <rprokic@me.com> wrote:

> I thought I liked Instapaper better with the new 4.0 out. But it is hard to leave Read It Later because it is so good. So I won't switch after all.
>
> Roger
>
> ---
> Roger Prokic
>
> -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
>
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 5:30 AM, whiterabbit32@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Why are you switching? I have not looked into Instapaper much. Just got a Read It Later account because Zite has a button for it.
> >
> > Alice
> > Little White Rabbit
> >
> > Sent from my iPad 2
> >
> > On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Prokic Roger <rprokic@me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I was looking to move my enormous list of articles from Read It Later to Instapaper. But it doesn't look possible.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Roger Prokic
> >>
> >> -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
> >>
> >> On Oct 23, 2011, at 1:05 PM, mdoyle13 <mdoyle13@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I was going to say that Instapaper is one of the options I have when I click on the export button (along with Read It Later, e-mail, bookmark, etc.), but upon checking it a bit ago I no longer have that option. I'm using a 4s.
> >>>
> >>> There is, however, an e-mail address associated with your Instapaper account. That is an option to save articles.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Prokic Roger <rprokic@...> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Has anyone been able to export their Read It Later and import into Instapaper?
> >>>>
> >>>> I see a Python script on the web to do this, but I am a neophyte with Python.
> >>>>
> >>>> I wanted to see if anyone can help me with this...
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks,
> >>>> Roger
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ------------------------------------
> >>>
> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Read It Later export to Instapaper

Posted by: "Prokic Roger" rprokic@me.com   rprokic

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:35 pm (PDT)



There are differences. But you should use both to see the differences.

---
Roger Prokic

-=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:27 PM, whiterabbit32@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a significant difference between Read It Later and Instapaper? I have Read It Later. Have not tried Instapaper.
>
> Alice
> Little White Rabbit
>
> Sent from my iPad 2
>
> On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Prokic Roger <rprokic@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought I liked Instapaper better with the new 4.0 out. But it is hard to leave Read It Later because it is so good. So I won't switch after all.
>>
>> Roger
>>
>> ---
>> Roger Prokic
>>
>> -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
>>
>> On Oct 24, 2011, at 5:30 AM, whiterabbit32@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Why are you switching? I have not looked into Instapaper much. Just got a Read It Later account because Zite has a button for it.
>>>
>>> Alice
>>> Little White Rabbit
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad 2
>>>
>>> On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Prokic Roger <rprokic@me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I was looking to move my enormous list of articles from Read It Later to Instapaper. But it doesn't look possible.
>>>>
>>>> ---
>>>> Roger Prokic
>>>>
>>>> -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
>>>>
>>>> On Oct 23, 2011, at 1:05 PM, mdoyle13 <mdoyle13@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I was going to say that Instapaper is one of the options I have when I click on the export button (along with Read It Later, e-mail, bookmark, etc.), but upon checking it a bit ago I no longer have that option. I'm using a 4s.
>>>>>
>>>>> There is, however, an e-mail address associated with your Instapaper account. That is an option to save articles.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Prokic Roger <rprokic@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Has anyone been able to export their Read It Later and import into Instapaper?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I see a Python script on the web to do this, but I am a neophyte with Python.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I wanted to see if anyone can help me with this...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>> Roger

2a.

Re: Never-ending sync

Posted by: "whiterabbit32@gmail.com" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:34 pm (PDT)



Sorry to hear that. I've had to restore my iPhone 4 a couple times since I've had it. It's work getting things back to the way they were. What I found to be a big help is to take screenshots of how things are set up on my iPhone and save them somewhere on my computer. That way when I have to do a restore, I have references to how my iPhone was set up before restore.

Alice
Little White Rabbit

Sent from my iPad 2

On Oct 24, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Sandy Foster <sw.foster1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went to the Apple Store today, where a very nice Genius tried everything he could think of to get my sync problem fixed. No luck. The solution turned out to be — as I'd more or less feared — a restore. Ugh. No way to use a backup version, as that would have the same problem, so I'm still tweaking things. But my sync works fine now, so that's the important thing! :)
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3a.

Re: Starbucks app

Posted by: "Carter" donteventhinkaboutit@me.com   cartercrain

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:14 pm (PDT)



I don't remember how I got it set up but now that it is set up I have a credit card as part of my account. I add to the amount by touching the amount as of today and then it is fairly intuitive. You may have to add a credit car in settings>billing information>Then sign in [I don't remember how I registered]>my credit cards.add a credit card.

On Oct 24, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Allan wrote:

> I downloaded Starbucks app today . I signed up with account info but can't figure out how to put money on the app to use it.
> I went to website and it looks like you need to purchase a card from on line and have it sent to you in the mail ..
> Anyone know how to use this app ?
>
>
> Sent to you directly from an iphone 4 
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Carter Crain
6313 Briar Rose Dr
Houston, Texas 77057
713-627-2202
fcc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4.

Unraveling the MobileMess of the MobileMe to iCloud Migration [Apple

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:14 pm (PDT)



http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/ujscKhNXjU8/unraveling-the-mobilemess-of-the-mobileme-to-icloud-migration

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Unraveling the
MobileMess of the MobileMe to iCloud Migration [Apple] via Gizmodo by
Roberto Baldwin on 10/25/11
Apple is known for its ability to create products that are easy to use
and even easier to understand. Too bad that ease of use doesn't
translate to their latest cloud features. Instead, they've seemed to
have mastered the art of confusing the hell out of everyone. More »



Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Gizmodo using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Can you transfer iTunes to a new computer

Posted by: "sara.rilling" sara.rilling@yahoo.com   sara.rilling

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:36 pm (PDT)




--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "ilesliemy2" <lesliemy@...> wrote:
>
> Are you a Mac user? That would make it easy because iTunes would already be on your computer and all it requires is for you to type in your Apple ID. if you are a PC user I can't help you but I am sure that someone else here can!
> Leslie

Thankyou Leslie but no I am not a Mac user!

5b.

Re: Can you transfer iTunes to a new computer

Posted by: "Susan Ferraglio" bladessf@aol.com   bladessf2000

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:29 pm (PDT)



Hi Sara - this article may help you

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Sue

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 25, 2011, at 5:32 PM, "sara.rilling" <sara.rilling@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "ilesliemy2" <lesliemy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Are you a Mac user? That would make it easy because iTunes would already be on your computer and all it requires is for you to type in your Apple ID. if you are a PC user I can't help you but I am sure that someone else here can!
>> Leslie
>
> Thank you Leslie but no I am not a Mac user!

5c.

Re: Can you transfer iTunes to a new computer

Posted by: "Carol Corley" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm (PDT)



I just bought a new laptop and all I did was go to Google and download iTunes 5.0 then followed the prompts. It was easy with the 4 but more difficult for my husband's 3GS. He called Apple and they walked him through it -- has AppleCare.
Carol

Sent from my iPad
5d.

Re: Can you transfer iTunes to a new computer

Posted by: "Rodrigo" yid_grps@yahoo.com.br   yid_grps

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:08 pm (PDT)



Hello all,

On windows the easiest way to backup your itunes content (at least apps, music, videos) or transfer to another computer is:

Make sure you have the option "Copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library" set on iTunes "Edit->Preferences->Advanced"

Look for the folder "iTunes" on "My Documents->My Music" on Windows XP (should be close by on Windows Vista and 7)

Copy the "iTunes" folder to somewhere else (external HDD)...

On the new computer, copy back the "iTunes" folder to the same location as the old one.

Install iTunes. It will recover everything you have back. If it does not you probabily misplaced the iTunes folder.
In this case use "Search" to locate the folder that was just created by iTunes. Uninstall it, repeat the
copy procedure again, now to the righ folder, and then reinstall iTunes...

Works every time for me.

Rod

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Lost apps and music on 3GS - very frustrated husband

Posted by: "Carol" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm (PDT)



Sorry, the "cloud" comment was my attempt at humor, considering his state of frustration being over the top <g>. He had been trying to transfer his itunes account to a new computer and then upgrade to 5.0, and when he sync'd his 3GS, the music was gone. We tried several attempts to restore and even shut everything down and restarted. In the end, he went to Apple, as he has Applecare, and they talked him through it. But even they took a long time to figure it out -- something in his music settings, apparently. And after all that, he still is working off the old computer.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Carol

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@...> wrote:
>
> What does the "cloud" have anything to do with upgrading to 5.0 and how do
> either have to do with losing music and apps? You upgrade/restore phone,
> sync back music and apps using iTunes and turn on iCloud if you want to use
> Find My iPhone, Contacts, Mail, PhotoStream, etc.
>
> The only thing that could have to do with Music is iTunes Match which hasn't
> been released publicly yet, although at $25/year to stream OR download any
> song (in a high quality AAC version) you have ever put in your iTunes is a
> great value - much better then their overpriced $20/year for an extra 10GB
> of storage (I pay $5 year for an extra 20GB at Google and will eventually
> move to an extra 80GB for the same $20).
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:03, Carol <floridabouvs@...> wrote:
>
> > My husband (3GS) is over the cloud with annoyance at having done the
> > upgrade to 5.0 and now all his music and most of his apps are gone. These
> > were downloaded apps and music from his library, not purchased items. But it
> > represents hours of time.
> > How can he get all that back?
> > BTW, I had no trouble at all with a 4 and the ipad 2.
> > Thanks,
> > Carol
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

6b.

Re: Lost apps and music on 3GS - very frustrated husband

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:25 pm (PDT)



If you turn off the iPhone and restart it, and restart the computer, then try and re-syncing the iPhone, it should do it for you. Do not interrupt it, let it run to completion.

I don't mean lock it. I mean totally power down the iPhone, and then restart it. Where you have to wait while it shows an Apple logo, before it shows you the slider to un lock it.

On Oct 25, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Carol wrote:

> My husband (3GS) is over the cloud with annoyance at having done the upgrade to 5.0 and now all his music and most of his apps are gone. These were downloaded apps and music from his library, not purchased items. But it represents hours of time.
> How can he get all that back?
> BTW, I had no trouble at all with a 4 and the ipad 2.
> Thanks,
> Carol
>
>

7a.

iPhone 3s sim card

Posted by: "KIM" rktuson@sbcglobal.net   rkzeclan

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 pm (PDT)



Does anyone know if I can put an Att sim card (not the new mini) into an iPhone 3s?

7b.

Re: iPhone 3s sim card

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 pm (PDT)



You can, but it may be blocked by software on the SIM card from working on a iPhone. AT&T does that.

On Oct 25, 2011, at 6:03 PM, KIM wrote:

> Does anyone know if I can put an Att sim card (not the new mini) into an iPhone 3s?

8a.

Camera on lock screen

Posted by: "Bobbo" bobbo924@gmail.com   bobbo924

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm (PDT)



Apple says one of the two jillion new features in iOS5 is that the camera is supposed to be available from the lock screen. Mine isn't, and I can find no setting to change that. Or is that another feature of the iPhone 4S?

Thanks.

Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com
Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8b.

Re: Camera on lock screen

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm (PDT)



> Apple says one of the two jillion new features in iOS5 is that the camera is supposed to be available from the lock screen. Mine isn't, and I can find no setting to change that. Or is that another feature of the iPhone 4S?

You haven't tried double-tapping the Home button from the lock screen yet, have you?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8c.

Re: Camera on lock screen

Posted by: "whiterabbit32@gmail.com" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:36 pm (PDT)



In screen lock mode, double tap the Home button. You should see the camera button.

Alice
Little White Rabbit

Sent from my iPad 2

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Bobbo <bobbo924@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apple says one of the two jillion new features in iOS5 is that the camera is supposed to be available from the lock screen. Mine isn't, and I can find no setting to change that. Or is that another feature of the iPhone 4S?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Voice over site: http://www.bob-vo.com
> Art site: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8d.

Re: Camera on lock screen

Posted by: "Wyldceltic1" wyldceltic1@me.com   wyldceltic1

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm (PDT)



As you pick up the iPhone, double tap the home button rapidly. This will bring up the camera icon in the lower right corner.

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Bobbo wrote:

> Apple says one of the two jillion new features in iOS5 is that the camera is supposed to be available from the lock screen. Mine isn't, and I can find no setting to change that. Or is that another feature of the iPhone 4S?
>
> Thanks.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

New iPad 2

Posted by: "sharonx9" sharonx9@gmail.com   sharonx1972

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:18 pm (PDT)



Hubby got me an iPad 2 yesterday as an early Christmas present. I LOVE IT!!!

This thing is amazing. I'm so glad he got it for me. I do find though
that a lot of my apps are not iPad ready or they want me to buy them again.
Either way, I'm thankful for it.

Sharon
**Sent from my iPad 2**

9b.

Re: New iPad 2

Posted by: "Felicia G" salamahgoldsborough@yahoo.com   salamahgoldsborough

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:59 pm (PDT)



Hey Sharon I'm happy to hear you have a iPad 2. Sounds like the hubbies are on the same path. My husband purchased me one as well. Whoop! Whoop! For the husbands.

Sent from my iPad 2
Technology @ it's finest💋

On Oct 25, 2011, at 10:05 PM, sharonx9 <sharonx9@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hubby got me an iPad 2 yesterday as an early Christmas present. I LOVE IT!!!
>
> This thing is amazing. I'm so glad he got it for me. I do find though
> that a lot of my apps are not iPad ready or they want me to buy them again.
> Either way, I'm thankful for it.
>
> Sharon
> **Sent from my iPad 2**
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Resources and tips

for parents

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.