10/28/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8516

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter From: Otto Nikolaus
1b.
Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter From: Denver Dan
1c.
Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter From: Otto Nikolaus
1d.
Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter From: Harry Flaxman
2a.
Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs From: Doug Yelmen
2b.
Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs From: Doug Yelmen
2c.
Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs From: Harry Flaxman
3a.
Re: New Google Chrome Browser From: Darrell McDonald
3b.
Re: New Google Chrome Browser From: Jim Saklad
3c.
Re: New Google Chrome Browser From: Otto Nikolaus
4a.
I pad 2 and flash From: Barbara B
4b.
Re: I pad 2 and flash From: Daly Jessup
5a.
Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter From: Harry Flaxman
5b.
Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter From: Jurgen Richter
5c.
Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter From: Harry Flaxman
6a.
Re: iPhone "cover" From: Denver Dan
6b.
Re: iPhone "cover" From: Otto Nikolaus
7a.
Re: Where does Word 2008 store its Autotext database? From: Jurgen Richter
8a.
Re: iPhone ear bud Complications From: HAL9000
8b.
Re: iPhone ear bud Complications From: Harry Flaxman
8c.
Re: iPhone ear bud Complications From: paul smith
8d.
Re: iPhone ear bud Complications From: Rob Frankel
8e.
Re: iPhone ear bud Complications From: Randy B. Singer
9.
iCloud From: Metaksa Tanya
10.
Quit All Applications Shortcut From: Ian Gillis

Messages

1a.

Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm (PDT)



Surely fitting an AirPort card to a tower cannot be difficult?

But if that is the case, try
<http://www.afterthemac.com/>
Not sure about "own client", though.

Otto

On 27 October 2011 23:28, Dane Reugger <dane@downtownpc.com> wrote:

> Anybody have or know of a good USB wireless adapter for an older Mac
> Pro - ideally one that uses the Mac wireless client. I've used a few
> in the past with mixed results but they all used their own client. I
> know that I could install an airport card but that's a serious hassle
> from what I remember.
>
> Any advice?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Is the OP Dane asking about a WiFi card or asking about a type of
wireless adapter like a WiFi USB adapter for something like a cordless
mouse??

In any case, I have a 1st generation MacPro tower for which I bought an
Apple AirPort card thinking I could install it myself.

I have taken computers apart, swapped logic boards, and install AirPort
cards in a variety of Models.

I couldn't do it on the MacPro.

It may be easier on a newer MacPro.

The slot is easy to get to and see on the MacPro logic board. There
are (on the 1st gen MacPro) two antenna wires to be attached. Some
early MacPro models didn't label these antenna wires and they also
resemble Bluetooth antenna wires. This is a bit of a problem!!

I was easily able to insert the AirPort card and to fix the two
miniature screws to hold it in place.

I could never get the two antenna wires to attach. Tried for days.
Spent hours on this task.

Finally gave up and took it to Apple Store where I bought it and they
attached antenna wires in about 5 minutes. Don't know what the deal
is. Maybe they have a special tool.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 01:00:23 +0100, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> Surely fitting an AirPort card to a tower cannot be difficult?
>
> But if that is the case, try
> <http://www.afterthemac.com/>
> Not sure about "own client", though.
>
> Otto

1c.

Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:14 am (PDT)



I assume it's about an alternative to an AirPort card.

I had no idea they would be difficult to fit in a Mac Pro (or any tower).

Otto

On 28 October 2011 04:58, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Is the OP Dane asking about a WiFi card or asking about a type of
> wireless adapter like a WiFi USB adapter for something like a cordless
> mouse??
>
> In any case, I have a 1st generation MacPro tower for which I bought an
> Apple AirPort card thinking I could install it myself.
>
> I have taken computers apart, swapped logic boards, and install AirPort
> cards in a variety of Models.
>
> I couldn't do it on the MacPro.
>
> It may be easier on a newer MacPro.
>
> The slot is easy to get to and see on the MacPro logic board. There
> are (on the 1st gen MacPro) two antenna wires to be attached. Some
> early MacPro models didn't label these antenna wires and they also
> resemble Bluetooth antenna wires. This is a bit of a problem!!
>
> I was easily able to insert the AirPort card and to fix the two
> miniature screws to hold it in place.
>
> I could never get the two antenna wires to attach. Tried for days.
> Spent hours on this task.
>
> Finally gave up and took it to Apple Store where I bought it and they
> attached antenna wires in about 5 minutes. Don't know what the deal
> is. Maybe they have a special tool.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: 2007 Mac Pro USB Wireless adapter

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 am (PDT)



Dan,

I wasn't able to get a wireless connection in my Powermac G5 until I got
those wires attached! The physical architecture, or layout of that
machine was fairly identical to the Mac Pro. It was a pain in the butt,
but I finally got them attached.

Did you have a problem with the connection without the wires attached?

Harry

On 10/28/2011 6:13 AM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> I could never get the two antenna wires to attach. Tried for days.
> > Spent hours on this task.
> >

2a.

Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 pm (PDT)



rob, i agree, especially with the prison breaks.
i had a english teacher in high school who told us to
turn off the TV before the bad guy got caught.
it is a pretty deep when you think about it.
doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.
- - Ram Dass

On Oct 27, 2011, at 7:48 AM, Rob Frankel wrote:

> At 2:22 AM -0400 10/27/11, Nicky wrote thusly:
>> I also found myself getting into it with a friend, who shared an
>> anti-Jobs blog post on her Facebook page. The writer dismissed Jobs
>> as "just a capitalist," and said, in effect, that since Gates had
>> established a giant foundation, Jobs's work meant nothing in
>> comparison. While I agreed that anyone who finds colossal proserity
>> should do something significant, I tried to point out that Gates is
>> a bigger capitalist, and that it was a kind of robber baron career
>> that earned him such wealth. Somehow that point never got
>> acknowledged.
>>
>> Steve did not have a uniformly wonderful personality, but his
>> inventions have contributed a lot to humanity.
>>
>
> Since when does a successful person have to be a saint? This
> politically correct generation is the first to get lost in minutiae
> while losing the big picture. History will remember Henry Ford more
> for his automotive contributions than his well-published tracts on
> anti-semitism. The man was a raging racist, but he built a huge
> empire that had even greater impact on society than did Jobs, by
> essentially enabling a mobile society.
>
> What's the value in dissecting these personal aspects of character?
>
> It's interesting to see that when you step away from the whole
> Jobs/Apple thing, the most admirable quality isn't the operating
> system, the machines or company; it's the fact that one man's vision
> can still overcome corporate inertia and win.
>
> Personally, I'm a big fan of "one man against the system" stories.
> When I watch movies about clever prison escapes, I always root for
> the inmate that outthinks the system to win back his liberty -- often
> forgetting that what got the guy into the can in the first place was
> murder or robbery.
>
>
> --
> Rob Frankel, Branding Expert
> Twitter: @brandingexpert http://www.RobFrankel.com
> http://www.PeerMailing.com http://www.i-legions.com
> http://www.FrankelAnderson.com
> Yes, there's an RSS feed blog, if you can handle it:
> http://www.robfrankelblog.com
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm (PDT)



i want to thank you personally for trying to reason with this person who berated
Steve Jobs. anyone who would do that lacks sensitivity, vision, appreciation
for the genius who gave the world so much.
thanks.
doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.
- - Ram Dass

On Oct 27, 2011, at 6:00 AM, Megan McHugh wrote:

> Well... at least Steve Jobs' Mac products are now so accessible for people who are blind / low vision, that we can use them off the shelf as opposed to having to add on expensive screen readers / magnifiers. Can't say that for Bill Gates' Microsoft products.
>
> --- On Thu, 10/27/11, talk@signifydesign.com <talk@signifydesign.com> wrote:
>
>> From: talk@signifydesign.com <talk@signifydesign.com>
>> Subject: Re: [macsupport] OT: Screed about Steve Jobs
>> To: "Harry Flaxman" <harry.flaxman@comcast.net>, macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
>> Date: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 2:22 AM
>> I also found myself getting into it
>> with a friend, who shared an anti-Jobs blog post on her
>> Facebook page. The writer dismissed Jobs as "just a
>> capitalist," and said, in effect, that since Gates had
>> established a giant foundation, Jobs's work meant nothing in
>> comparison. While I agreed that anyone who finds colossal
>> proserity should do something significant, I tried to point
>> out that Gates is a bigger capitalist, and that it was a
>> kind of robber baron career that earned him such wealth.
>> Somehow that point never got acknowledged.
>>
>> Steve did not have a uniformly wonderful personality, but
>> his inventions have contributed a lot to humanity.
>>
>> Thanks for the comments you posted,
>> Nicky
>>
>> Nicky McCatty
>> signify Design
>> fusing image &amp; information
>> 617.308.0266
>>
>> ----- Reply message -----
>> From: "Harry Flaxman" <harry.flaxman@comcast.net>
>> Date: Wed, Oct 26, 2011 09:43
>> Subject: [macsupport] OT: Screed about Steve Jobs
>> To: <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
>>
>> On 10/26/2011 8:41 AM, hester reik wrote:
>>> Today's NY times has a horrible harangue about Jobs by
>> the ever nasty
>>> Maureen Dowd. I was so po'ed I wrote a LTE. It lies
>> below
>>>
>>> To the Editor:
>>>>> Ms. Dowd's op-ed piece in today's paper
>> was unusually nasty, even for her.
>>>>> What was the point in publishing such a
>> diatribe? Mr. Jobs was a terribly
>>>>> flawed human being, like every other
>> one on the face of the earth. His
>>>>> enormous contributions makes his
>> imperfections more poignant and tragic,
>>>>> especially since they might have
>> shortened his incredibly productive life.
>>>>>
>>>>> The nits Ms. Dowd picks highlight her
>> own skewed perspective as well as
>>>>> doing your paper a huge disservice.
>>>>>
>>
>> Well said Hester!
>>
>> Thank you. I will go and read the 'article' now and
>> write a comment or
>> 'letter to the editor' pertaining to it. I'm sure
>> it's nasty enough,
>> considering the source!
>>
>> Harry
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>> macsupportcentral-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: OT: Screed about Steve Jobs

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:17 pm (PDT)



On 10/27/2011 8:22 PM, Doug Yelmen wrote:
> I also found myself getting into it with a friend, who shared an
> >> anti-Jobs blog post on her Facebook page. The writer dismissed Jobs
> >> as "just a capitalist," and said, in effect, that since Gates had
> >> established a giant foundation, Jobs's work meant nothing in
> >> comparison. While I agreed that anyone who finds colossal proserity
> >> should do something significant, I tried to point out that Gates is
> >> a bigger capitalist, and that it was a kind of robber baron career
> >> that earned him such wealth. Somehow that point never got
> >> acknowledged.
> >>

I sent this three times today and it never made the list!

The 'philanthropist' is not a charitable individual at all in 99% of the
cases. They do what they do for a tax dodge. Giving away a portion of
their money allows them to keep more personally and save on taxes.

SJ paid more in taxes than Gates. Gates knew how to hang onto money.
That's all the son of a gun did. There was more than likely not a
giving bone in his body over the whole foundation thing. He gets
another bonus, he looks like a 'good guy'. In reality, he's not when it
comes to money.

Who's the capitalist now??

Harry

3a.

Re: New Google Chrome Browser

Posted by: "Darrell McDonald" fussyoldfart@gmail.com   fussyoldfart

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm (PDT)



I have been using Chrome for months now, long enough that it has updated several times. I now find it awkward going back to Safari because the "x" to dismiss a tab is on the opposite corner.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Doug Yelmen <dougyelmen@...> wrote:
>
> http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/3000-2356_4-75205983.html?tag=nl.e780
>
> just experimenting now.
> Doug Yelmen
> dougyelmen@...
>
> The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.
> - - Ram Dass
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3b.

Re: New Google Chrome Browser

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:32 pm (PDT)



> I have been using Chrome for months now, long enough that it has updated several times.
> I now find it awkward going back to Safari because the "x" to dismiss a tab is on the opposite corner.

"<Command><w>" is in the same place in all browsers.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: New Google Chrome Browser

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:09 am (PDT)



On 28 October 2011 03:32, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>
> "<Command><w>" is in the same place in all browsers.
>

Quite. I use command-w a lot in many apps, including Finder.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

I pad 2 and flash

Posted by: "Barbara B" bpurdy13@gmail.com   sakura1313ca

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:22 pm (PDT)



Hi hubby and I decided to give each other early anniversary gifts we
Will be married 43 years in Nov.
My ques is what is the best app to use or how do you get flash on the I pad 2 as there are some sites and games that require flash. I am enjoying learning to use my I pad it is similar to the iPod touch only bigger.:)
Thank you.
Barbara from Montreal

4b.

Re: I pad 2 and flash

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm (PDT)



Daly Jessup
jessup@san.rr.com

On Oct 27, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Barbara B wrote:

> Hi hubby and I decided to give each other early anniversary gifts we
> Will be married 43 years in Nov.
> My ques is what is the best app to use or how do you get flash on the I pad 2 as there are some sites and games that require flash. I am enjoying learning to use my I pad it is similar to the iPod touch only bigger.:)
There is no Flash for iOS devices.

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3122657?start=0&tstart=0>

Daly

5a.

Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 pm (PDT)



On 10/27/2011 1:51 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> Try MacMall. I'm not knowledgeable on TOSlink at all but MacMall has
> TOSlink and mini TOSlink items available.
>
> Some items like this tend to not be in stock but have to be ordered.
>
> Also try Amazon.com.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:21:46 -0400, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>> > Looked here, but it reminded me that I"m looking for an outlet that has
>> > the mini TOSlink audio adapters for most of the desktop digital audio
>> > out ports.
>> >
>> > Have you found any Dan?
>> >
>> > Harry

To follow up on this, Blue Jeans Cable got back to me tonight. They do
have the toslink adapter for $2. Pretty reasonable. Here's the link:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/adapters/index.htm

Harry

5b.

Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 pm (PDT)



Also check out :
www.startech.com
www.cablestogo.com

I have bought toslink cables from them for my older av setup to use
fiber optic audio in /out... since my amp does not have HDMI...

Cheers

5c.

Re: Wanted ENET thin coax->RJ45 adapter

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 pm (PDT)



On 10/28/2011 12:07 AM, Jurgen Richter wrote:
> Also check out :
> www.startech.com
> www.cablestogo.com
>
> I have bought toslink cables from them for my older av setup to use
> fiber optic audio in /out... since my amp does not have HDMI...

They both look good too! Thanks Jurgen.

I usually go with the underdog when I purchase stuff like this. Blue
Jeans Cable looks to me to be just that, although I'm not sure of the
history. I know they got back to me within a couple of hours for a $2
part. They must want business!

Harry

6a.

Re: iPhone "cover"

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

I don't think you need a cover for the iPhone glass. I don't use one.

I do, however, like the Belkin rubbery holder I use. It protects the
back and sides and protects it from being dropped.

Some iPhone cases/sleeves used to come with those stick-on plastic
facings but I'm not sure if there are a lot of these still on the
market.

My personal preference is NOT for one of the flip cases because the lid
gets in the way of all kinds of things but some folks do like these.

I've also tried the hard plastic protective cases and just hate them.
The iPhone was designed to feel almost sensual in the hand and the hard
plastic cases destroy that. My NEC and Samsung cell phones never
never never felt sensual!!!!!!

Denver Dan

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:10:01 +0000, chemist_ken wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a clear plastic cover to protect the screen of my
> iPhone 4.
> Any suggestions ae welcome!
>
> Ken

6b.

Re: iPhone "cover"

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 am (PDT)



I found the naked iPhone far too slippery. I wanted something to make it
grippy, add almost nothing to the size, and add some protection. I bought
the Incipio Feather, which I really like, and it came with 2 screen
protectors. I'm still on the first one after 2 years. Perhaps it's not
required but I feel "safer" with it on.
<
http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-3G-3GS-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-iPhone-3G-3GS-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp
>
The phone is still like new under the case and most people don't even
realise it's in a case.

Otto

On 28 October 2011 05:03, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I don't think you need a cover for the iPhone glass. I don't use one.
>
> I do, however, like the Belkin rubbery holder I use. It protects the
> back and sides and protects it from being dropped.
>
> Some iPhone cases/sleeves used to come with those stick-on plastic
> facings but I'm not sure if there are a lot of these still on the
> market.
>
> My personal preference is NOT for one of the flip cases because the lid
> gets in the way of all kinds of things but some folks do like these.
>
> I've also tried the hard plastic protective cases and just hate them.
> The iPhone was designed to feel almost sensual in the hand and the hard
> plastic cases destroy that. My NEC and Samsung cell phones never
> never never felt sensual!!!!!!
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7a.

Re: Where does Word 2008 store its Autotext database?

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:10 pm (PDT)



Do a web search on :
word autotext file

and you will see that they are kept in a template file by default called
Normal.dot
If you copy this file regularly between your computers, that may sync
them.... but read up on it.

8a.

Re: iPhone ear bud Complications

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 pm (PDT)



Will some kind soul explain to me how to keep these "buds" or whatever they sell now in my ears. I have tried several types that usually fall out of my ears and out of frustration I wind up throwing them in the lake I walk near. I can get none of these "buds" or whatever to stay in my ears. They slip loose constantly and fall out eventually.

The only success I have is w earphones over my head, but w an iPhone the sound is not full.

Surely my ears are not that different from most folks? How the heck do the buds stay in you guy's ears?

John R

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> I need to get someone a new iPhone ear bud set. the guy has gone
> through about 6 of them in the past 12 months I'd guess. He uses them
> daily and then wraps them tightly and stuffs in a pocket at work.
>
> I almost never use ear buds so my couple of sets have been "borrowed"
> and . . . . . done in -- like the others.
>
> Any suggestions for good quality, durable, long lasting ear buds?
>
> Ones with good sound? That don't fall apart?
>
> Denver Dan
>

8b.

Re: iPhone ear bud Complications

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:27 pm (PDT)



On 10/28/2011 12:22 AM, HAL9000 wrote:
> Will some kind soul explain to me how to keep these "buds" or whatever they sell now in my ears. I have tried several types that usually fall out of my ears and out of frustration I wind up throwing them in the lake I walk near. I can get none of these "buds" or whatever to stay in my ears. They slip loose constantly and fall out eventually.
>
> The only success I have is w earphones over my head, but w an iPhone the sound is not full.
>
> Surely my ears are not that different from most folks? How the heck do the buds stay in you guy's ears?

I had this problem as well, and became frustrated as heck when I got my
first pair. There are now true 'in ear' earbuds that actually have a
foam end that goes into the ear canal. They do not fall out of the ear
easily. They come in various quality and one can spend hundreds of
dollars on a pair.

Check out any retail outlet, Amazon, etc. They have them. I believe
that most of the high end manufacturers use only this style, otherwise I
believe they'd have a hard time achieving any quality sound.

They do block outside noise almost entirely as well.

Harry

8c.

Re: iPhone ear bud Complications

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 pm (PDT)



Unfortunately for you, your ears *are* different from the ear bud ideal. So are mine.
I use a set of "plug" earphones that tuck right into the ear canal. They block out more ambient sound than ear buds as well.
They also have really good sound. I would compare them favorably to sets in the $300 range.
Here they are:
<http://amzn.com/B004GFNDDG>
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.2

On Oct 28, 2011, at 12:22 AM, HAL9000 wrote:

Surely my ears are not that different from most folks? How the heck do the buds stay in you guy's ears?

8d.

Re: iPhone ear bud Complications

Posted by: "Rob Frankel" rob@robfrankel.com   robfrankeldotcom

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 pm (PDT)



At 4:22 AM +0000 10/28/11, HAL9000 wrote thusly:
>Will some kind soul explain to me how to keep these "buds" or
>whatever they sell now in my ears. I have tried several types that
>usually fall out of my ears and out of frustration I wind up
>throwing them in the lake I walk near. I can get none of these
>"buds" or whatever to stay in my ears. They slip loose constantly
>and fall out eventually.
>
>The only success I have is w earphones over my head, but w an iPhone
>the sound is not full.
>
>Surely my ears are not that different from most folks? How the heck
>do the buds stay in you guy's ears?
>
>John R
>

As I mentioned before, I use Klipsch, which fit IN your ear. Their
ear buds usually come with three sets of "gels" which conform to your
ear. This not only blocks out sound (you can wear them as ear plugs
if you want to), it also makes them comfortable enough to wear for
hours.

This is what they look like:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c

--
Rob Frankel, Branding Expert
Twitter: @brandingexpert http://www.RobFrankel.com
http://www.PeerMailing.com http://www.i-legions.com
http://www.FrankelAnderson.com
Yes, there's an RSS feed blog, if you can handle it:
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

8e.

Re: iPhone ear bud Complications

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:21 am (PDT)




On Oct 27, 2011, at 9:22 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

> Will some kind soul explain to me how to keep these "buds" or
> whatever they sell now in my ears.

I've been there.

Here is the solution:

Memory Foam Earbud Tips (large)
http://is.gd/Xe6X4z

Before putting them in your ear you squish them in-between your
fingers and they squish down to just about nothing for 15 to 20
seconds. Once in your ears they expand to perfectly fit your ear.
They fit securely, are comfortable, and as a side benefit they seal
your ear from outside noise really well to give you much better sound
quality!

These things come in sizes. Small, medium and large. I've
referenced the large size on the assumption that other ear buds have
been falling out of your ear because they didn't have a tight enough
fit.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

9.

iCloud

Posted by: "Metaksa Tanya" tanya.metaksa@att.net   tanya.metaksa@att.net

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 pm (PDT)



I set up my iCloud user account and password with a new username. Now after having it work I got a message that it couldn't sync,
Thinking my password wasn't correct, I went on iCloud on my iPhone 3S and changed the password.
I changed the password on my iPhone and on my iCal, but I am still getting this message:

Access to account "hotbaba1937@me.com" is not permitted.

The server responded:
"HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden"
to operation CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Tanya Metaksa

10.

Quit All Applications Shortcut

Posted by: "Ian Gillis" tessel.bas@gmail.com   ianjgillis

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 am (PDT)



I hope I'm not teaching you experts to suck eggs, but I sometimes end
up with several RAM-hogging applications open and only a series of
Cmd-Q key presses would get rid of them.

However I searched in vain for a short-cut to close them all with a
simple keystroke. Cmd-Ctrl-Eject does it but it restarts the Mac as
well.

Finally I found the following short Automator script that works well:

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_use_one_keyboard_shortcut_quit_all_applications

This was my first use of Automator - it won't be my last.

regards,
Ian

--
_______________________
Mac Mini 2010 OS 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM 500GB HD
Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
2 TB ext HD

iPad 1 16GB WiFi only

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.