10/31/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2754

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: 4s notes problem From: LaMcAs
2a.
Re: Missing iOS5 Apps after upgrade From: Techlady
3a.
Re: Any Recommended FM Transmitters? From: 4 Nikonkelly.com
4a.
Quick Access for the Camera From: Gretchen Hunter
4b.
Re: Quick Access for the Camera From: Bill Boulware
5a.
Re: Upgrading, Help! From: Otto Nikolaus
6a.
Re: Good iPhone emoticon app. From: Laura Velez
7a.
Re: Apple Store From: Bill Sardone
7b.
Re: Apple Store From: Carol Corley
7c.
Re: Apple Store From: Alice Saunders
8a.
iMessage From: Allan Aunkst
8b.
Re: iMessage From: Techlady
8c.
Re: iMessage From: Alice Saunders
9a.
Re: iPhone settings changes From: W4KRR
10a.
Problem with the vibration (sound) on the 4S From: sjconline
10b.
Re: Problem with the vibration (sound) on the 4S From: Bill Boulware
11a.
Re: Email sent folder? From: gregornotsamsa
12a.
Re: Help After PC Virus From: Carol Corley
13.
Apple retail customers to gain self-checkout option via iOS app From: Bill Boulware
14.
Retail news: Seamless Fifth Avenue glass cube debuting this Friday, From: Bill Boulware
15.
How to extend battery life of your iPhone 4S by disabling 'Se From: Bill Boulware
16.
Restore or Reformat? From: Alice Saunders
17a.
iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question From: Bill Boulware
17b.
Re: iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question From: Jim Saklad
17c.
Re: iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question From: Bill Boulware

Messages

1a.

Re: 4s notes problem

Posted by: "LaMcAs" lamcas17@yahoo.co.uk   lamcas17

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:47 am (PDT)



If you check the iCloud Control Panel (on your Mac or PC), then Notes are
not included unless you set up an Apple Email account, though why I'll never
know!

Reminders are synched as part of iCloud.

-----Original Message-----
From: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com [mailto:apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Alice Saunders
Sent: 31 October 2011 02:28
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] 4s notes problem

So what you're saying is that reminders sync via iCloud and notes doesn't?
On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Donald wrote:

> I guess I'm not understanding what's being said here.
>
> I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.
>
> When I enter a note using the resident notes app the note stays until I
delete it. It is not E mailed to anyone nor is it synced to the other
iDevice on my iCloud account except as part of my back up. Now reminders is
a different story it is synced via iCloud to my wife's iPod Touch which is
also on iOS 5.0.
>
> None of my previous iPhones ( iPhone, iPhone 3G ) have done anything other
than what I am seeing now.
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealpa3@...> wrote:
> >
> > I expected that when I entered a note into either my iphone or ipad that
it would stay available in the notes area and also show up in the other os5
device.
> >
> > (Bill Boulware pointed out that in the regular apple email there is a
notes section if one scrolls down - so maybe the note that I entered in the
iphone would show up there too.)
> >
> > Neal
> >
>
>

\
\ /\
( )
.( ).

Alice Saunders
whiterabbit32@gmail.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

2a.

Re: Missing iOS5 Apps after upgrade

Posted by: "Techlady" techlady04@yahoo.com   techlady04

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 am (PDT)



They aren't apps per se. If u look at your settings for messages, u should see info about
iMessage. It is built into the messengng app. I had the same question!

Regarding notification...it's a setting also. If u swipe ur screen from top to bottom, u should see what's in it. Do a few swipes....it does take some getting used to!

TL

On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:54 AM, "wcombsdbts" <wcombs@dbts.edu> wrote:

> After upgrading to iOS5 on my 3GS iPhone, two of the apps that were supposed to be installed are not there--iMessage and Notification Center. Twitter is not there, but looking at the Settings, it looks like I have to change a setting for it to install. But at lead iMessage and Notification should have been installed I assume.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bill
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: Any Recommended FM Transmitters?

Posted by: "4 Nikonkelly.com" kelly@nikonkelly.com   revkellytodd

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 am (PDT)



I have had a Motorola Bluetooth connection for my iPhone for a
couple of years now, and the FM transmitter works fairly well, it
is not CD quality, but still pretty good. Switches to phone calls
when they come in, but often does not turn the iPod back on when
the call has ended.
Kelly Todd

----- Original Message -----
From: Prokic Roger
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Any Recommended FM Transmitters?

I recommend a Bluetooth stereo. I found a close out model at
Best Buy. Total cost after install was about $150. It provides
perfect sound. I hate FM transmitters. They don't work well at
all.

Roger

---
Roger Prokic

-=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-

On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Gretchen Hunter
<gretchenhunter@mac.com> wrote:

> I have a Jeep Wrangler and never found an FM transmitter that
worked well. I got a new stereo that I could use an auxiliary
cable with. The last new stereo I got for another car has a USB
connection which works better. I think Roger P got a Bluetooth
stereo that works well.
>
> I'd stay away from the FM transmitters.
>
> Gretchen
> Sent from my iPhone 4S
>
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:50 AM, jiminmanjr <jiminmanjr@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>
>> Stepping away from all the 4S discussion...
>>
>> As the holidays approach, I'm asked for my "Christmas list."
One thing I would really like is an FM transmitter to play my
iPhone through my Jeep Wrangler stereo. From what I've seen, these
things plug into the cigarette lighter, and the headphone jack. An
FM station is dialed up on the transmitter and the radio, and then
you can hear your iPhone through your car.
>>
>> Does anyone have one of these? What brand? Does it work well,
or would you switch?
>>
>> I would like to even find something (if it exists) that
allows for hands-free calling/talking, but that's not a
requirement.
>>
>> Thanks!

4a.

Quick Access for the Camera

Posted by: "Gretchen Hunter" gretchenhunter@mac.com   mmbkaajn

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:09 am (PDT)



What I understand is that if you want to use the camera quickly, you can do it from the lock screen by touching the camera icon. There is no camera icon that shows up on the lock screen on my phone.

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 5. Is there something I need to change in settings? I can't find anything.

Thanks.

Gretchen
Sent from my  iPhone 4S

4b.

Re: Quick Access for the Camera

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am (PDT)



Nicest way possible but this question has been asked at least 15 times,

Double press the home button from sleep or press the home button once to
activate screen then double press and the camera icon shows up.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 13:02, Gretchen Hunter <gretchenhunter@mac.com>wrote:

> What I understand is that if you want to use the camera quickly, you can
> do it from the lock screen by touching the camera icon. There is no camera
> icon that shows up on the lock screen on my phone.
>
> I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 5. Is there something I need to change in
> settings? I can't find anything.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gretchen
> Sent from my  iPhone 4S
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Upgrading, Help!

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 am (PDT)



Almost true.

It doesn't apply if *you* delete stuff you shouldn't and want it back.
Regular backups are the only sensible action.

Otto

On 31 October 2011 00:24, Richard Raiff <richraiff@gmail.com> wrote:

> The corrolary to this is that you only have to back up a device once. --
> Just before it fails!
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Good iPhone emoticon app.

Posted by: "Laura Velez" lgvelez@yahoo.com   lgvelez

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 am (PDT)



Thank you, Ann.

LauraV in TX

On Oct 30, 2011, at 11:42 PM, Ann Hofferberth wrote:

> Laura,
>
> You can find one on the International Keyboard:
> Settings-Keyboard-International Keyboard_ choose Emoji...now you will
> see the globe next to your keyboard space bar and can use it to toggle
> back and forth from English to Emoji.
> Ann
>

7a.

Re: Apple Store

Posted by: "Bill Sardone" wsardone@att.net   wsardone

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 am (PDT)



I have use that genius appointment system many times. While they run late. They are never 'that' late in my view.

After all. How many other appointments have been made and been in time

But I have noticed. No matter why time if day. That store us the only one crowded in the mall.

Thx

Bill

Sent from my AT&T wireless device!

On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those of you who have never had a warranty issue at an Apple Store, I
> thought I would share my experience. I have been to this particular Mall
> based Apple store several times, I waited in line and bought my first
> iPhone there, I bought a Mac Mini Server there, and I have returned an item
> there. Today was the first time I have ever made a "Genius" bar
> appointment. My iPad 2 (pre-ordered and delivered at launch), had a 1/4"
> white spot (burnt pixels) and rapid battery drain (two separate issues). I
> finally had a chance to set an appointment, drove to the mall, parked as
> close as I could (very busy mall). I arrived at the Apple Store about 5
> minutes after my appointment and there were at least 100 people over 12yo
> and 25 under 12yo, crowded around every displayed device, by the time I
> made it around the people to the "Greeter" I was 10 minutes past my
> appointment and told that after 7 minutes they normally cancel them, but
> they were running behind so they would fit me in. I waited at least 15
> minutes, having to move back and forth because the only place to stand was
> near the "Genius Bar" entrance. A "Genius" finally came over to me
> (another called my name a few minutes later, not sure if they didn't mark
> me off or what) and asked what the issue(s) were. I showed him and he
> explained that he would have to swap out the iPad and that he would do so
> as long as it was under warranty (it is) and there was no liquid damage
> (there wasn't) - he used a keychain light to check the liquid sensors and
> entered my Serial # into his iPhone/iPod Touch (not sure which it was since
> it was in the checkout/card scanner case).
>
> This is where it is interesting, the replacement items are not from retail
> packaging, they are from unmarked brown boxes (I'm sure there is a bar code
> or label that identifies the size and model). The replacement still had
> iOS 4 and was not activated, he did take it out and activate it and let me
> verify that it was 32GB and AT&T. I signed the "warranty replacement"
> ticket on his checkout device and went to my old iPad and went to the
> Settings and tapped Erase Settings & Content, entered my password and let
> it erase before I left. As I was walking out, my iPhone buzzed with my
> "Receipt", which is the interesting part - as a warranty replacement, a
> 32GB 3G iPad is worth $369.
>
> All in all, it was a decent experience but they were busy.
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

7b.

Re: Apple Store

Posted by: "Carol Corley" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am (PDT)



We've used Genius bar 3x, once for a simple issue, and twice we got a replacement phone - 4 for overheating, and 3GS for battery. BTW, the 3GS also had a cracked case. Both phones were under AppleCare. The times we got a replacement phone we had called Apple to discuss the problem and they arranged for the appointments and new phones. No charge.
Carol

Sent from my iPad

7c.

Re: Apple Store

Posted by: "Alice Saunders" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 pm (PDT)



Apple has the best service I've known. They really care about customer service and keeping their customers happy. I'm glad your experiences have been as good as mine.

Alice

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Oct 31, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Carol Corley <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've used Genius bar 3x, once for a simple issue, and twice we got a replacement phone - 4 for overheating, and 3GS for battery. BTW, the 3GS also had a cracked case. Both phones were under AppleCare. The times we got a replacement phone we had called Apple to discuss the problem and they arranged for the appointments and new phones. No charge.
> Carol
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

iMessage

Posted by: "Allan Aunkst" aaunkst@gmail.com   tama.drummer62

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:58 am (PDT)



Is there an app on osx (lion) that you can use to interact with iPhones
iMessage? I thought ichat was going to be iMessage on osx?

Thanks

8b.

Re: iMessage

Posted by: "Techlady" techlady04@yahoo.com   techlady04

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 am (PDT)



It's in your settings. Not a separate app.

TL

On Oct 31, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Allan Aunkst <aaunkst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an app on osx (lion) that you can use to interact with iPhones
> iMessage? I thought ichat was going to be iMessage on osx?

8c.

Re: iMessage

Posted by: "Alice Saunders" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 pm (PDT)



As far as I know, there is no app for Lion that will do iMessage. iMessage is in iOS 5 and works between iPhones that run iOS 5.

Alice

Sent from my iPhone 4
iOS 5

On Oct 31, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Techlady <techlady04@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's in your settings. Not a separate app.
>
> TL
>
> On Oct 31, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Allan Aunkst <aaunkst@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there an app on osx (lion) that you can use to interact with iPhones
> > iMessage? I thought ichat was going to be iMessage on osx?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

Re: iPhone settings changes

Posted by: "W4KRR" w4krr@yahoo.com   w4krr

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:02 am (PDT)



Yes and yes.

Ken

From: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com [mailto:apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alice Saunders
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:39 PM
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] iPhone settings changes

You updated some iPhone apps in iTunes? Did you sync your iPhone after?

Alice

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:19 AM, "W4KRR" <w4krr@yahoo.com <mailto:w4krr%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

> When I was closing iTunes 10.5, I got a message, "You have changed the
> settings for the iPhone "iPhone". Would you like to apply these changes?"
>
> What exactly does that mean? Does it mean something on the iPhone changed,
> and it will apply the changes in iTunes? Or, does it mean I changed
> something in iTunes and it wants to apply the changes to the iPhone? The
> only thing I did was to update a few apps. Of course when I synced the
> phone, it updated them. So if I were to choose "Apply", would it just sync
> the phone, or something more? I chose "Don't Apply".
>
> Ken

10a.

Problem with the vibration (sound) on the 4S

Posted by: "sjconline" sjconline@yahoo.com   sjconline

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 am (PDT)



My wife and I both have new 4S (LOVE THEM) but we have noticed that on mute, when we get a message notification, her phone vibration is a lot louder and tinny in sound where mine sounds like the 3G did.

Is anyone else's phone doing this? We are thinking of going to the store to change it our but don't want to seem hypersenstive.

Thanks for any feedback.

10b.

Re: Problem with the vibration (sound) on the 4S

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am (PDT)



They changed the vibration motor in the 4S and you can change the sounds,
vibration pattern, etc on a system (Settings > Sounds > Notifications) or
on a per contact basis.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:56, sjconline <sjconline@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My wife and I both have new 4S (LOVE THEM) but we have noticed that on
> mute, when we get a message notification, her phone vibration is a lot
> louder and tinny in sound where mine sounds like the 3G did.
>
> Is anyone else's phone doing this? We are thinking of going to the store
> to change it our but don't want to seem hypersenstive.
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

11a.

Re: Email sent folder?

Posted by: "gregornotsamsa" gregornotsamsa@yahoo.com   gregornotsamsa

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:16 am (PDT)



Thank you very much - all the additional folders were in that section.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, whiterabbit32@... wrote:
>
> Yes there is. On the screen named Mailboxes, there is 2 sections. 1 labeled Inboxes and the other labeled Accounts. Check the section labeled Accounts, click the name of the email account you want to look at and you should be taken to another screen listing the folders under that account. One of the folders should be your sent folder.
>
> Alice
> Little White Rabbit
>
> Sent from my iPad 2
>
> On Oct 27, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Greg Condiff <gregornotsamsa@...> wrote:
>
> > Just got my 4S and loving it! I've been taking pictures and e-mailing them. I don't see a Sent folder in the e-mail app; is there one? I don't want it to fill up with unnecessary disk space usage.
> >
> > GregorNotSamsa
> > Delaware
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

12a.

Re: Help After PC Virus

Posted by: "Carol Corley" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am (PDT)



Call apple. We've done that many times and they are quite helpful.
Carol

Sent from my iPad

13.

Apple retail customers to gain self-checkout option via iOS app

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 pm (PDT)



http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=ece624afedabf805030f2ba85540d229

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Apple retail customers
to gain self-checkout option via iOS app via AppleInsider on 10/31/11
Apple plans to give retail customers the ability to finalize their own
in-store purchases via its iOS application for the iPhone, according to
a new report.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to AppleInsider using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

14.

Retail news: Seamless Fifth Avenue glass cube debuting this Friday,

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm (PDT)



http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/S26HTfEwiY4/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Retail news: Seamless
Fifth Avenue glass cube debuting this Friday, Apple Store app
self-checkout, multiple shipping addresses for online orders via
9to5Mac by Christian Zibreg on 10/31/11


An artist's rendition of the seamless glass cube Apple Store at New
York's Fifth Avenue.
Credit: The Gothamist.

Apple is set to unveil an all-new glass cube entrance into its iconic
outlet at New York City's Fifth Avenue, MacRumors has learned. The new
look should be unveiled this coming Friday, November 4. The work on
remodeling the building hailed as New York's top photo attraction began
this summer. According to permits, changes include using larger,
seamless pieces of glass and reducing the number of glass panes from 90
to just 15, or three per side.

Apple is also said to remove protective bollards, install new pavers
around the cube's perimeter and remove and reinstall surrounding water
drains. This major makeover will cost six million dollars, nearly
matching the seven million dollars they reportedly paid back in 2005 to
assemble the now iconic glass cube entrance.

MacRumors also noted that Apple will allow buyers to use the official
Apple Store for iOS app (which, shamefully, has yet to be updated with
full iPad support) to "utilize self-checkout for purchases of
accessories and other shelf-stocked items at the company's retail
stores". Heylookitseric is mentioning the November 3 launch for the
updated program. How is the self-checkout process going to work?

After making a purchase via the Apple Store app using the self-checkout
option, you will receive a receipt vie email and show it to a store
employees as proof of purchase, the publication explains. This option
will not be available for Macs and iOS devices and is meant as a
time-saver for both customers and retail employees in regard to
accessories kept on store shelves.

For items kept in the stockroom, such as computers, notebooks and iOS
devices, customers will be able to pre-purchase those using the app and
complete their transaction with an assistance of a store employees
carrying an EasyPay device. Another interesting retail update from
Apple right after the break.





As you know, Apple last Wednesday began offering in-store pickup of
online orders in San Francisco and all 16 other stores in the Bay Area.
Today, the program has expanded into the Fifth Avenue store and three
other stores in New York City (the SoHo, Upper West Side and West 14th
Street stores). The company is also said to introduce a new buying
option to allow for different shipping addresses for items purchased in
a single transaction. This way, for example, daddy will be able to buy
an iPad for grandpa and an iPod touch for his junior in a single
transaction and have them shipped to two different addresses, which
wasn't possible in the past without having to purchase each item in a
separate transaction.




Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to 9to5Mac using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

15.

How to extend battery life of your iPhone 4S by disabling 'Se

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm (PDT)



I can confirm this as well as "Cell Network Search" on 3G iPads without
cell data activated greatly improves battery life
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/WezedUv0X9c/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: How to extend battery
life of your iPhone 4S by disabling 'Setting Time Zone' via 9to5Mac by
Christian Zibreg on 10/31/11



Poor battery performance is one of the major teething issues that's
been plaguing early iPhone 4S adopters who are flocking to Apple's
Support Communities forum in search for answers. Apple's remained mum
on the matter thus far. The problem appears to be affecting some iPhone
4 and iPhone 3GS users as well, indicating a likely software bug rather
than a hardware defect. iDownloadBlog offers an interesting remedy that
may not work for everybody, even though some folks are reporting seeing
an improved battery performance.

It appears that the Setting Time Zone function in iOS 5 can lead to
excess power drain because the device is repeatedly polling the user's
location in order to set the time zone based on their current location
(which is useful when traveling). To disable this functionality, launch
the Settings app, navigate to Location Services > System Services and
turn off the Setting Time Zone option. You should see a purple location
services icon in the iPhone's status bar disappear:

Switching it off may mean that your iPhone will no longer set its own
time zone when you travel, but that's a small price to pay for having
your iPhone last more than 12 hours on a full charge. We have tested
this method on 4 different iPhone 4s handsets, including an iPhone 4
and an iPhone 3GS. All have reported drastically improved battery life
after switching 'Setting Time Zone' off.

Yes, it's a band-aid solution but a helpful one, at least until Apple
delivers a fix through a firmware update. While we're at it, you may
also want to disable Location-Based iAds and Diagnostics & Usage and
leave only the essential system location services running (Cell Network
Search, Compass Calibration and Traffic).





Apple rates the battery inside the iPhone 4S as having up to 200 hours
of standby, a hundred less than the previous model, in spite of the
iPhone 4S's extra .05W/hrs battery and an hour-longer talk time.
iLounge found out that iPhone 4S has worse battery life for 3G data and
audio/video playback/recording compared to the previous model. Apple
offers this tip on improving battery life on your iPhone:

Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the
battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Macworld's interesting iPhone 4S battery troubleshooter mentions using
a system diagnostics app such as System Activity Monitor in order to
determine which processes are running unnecessarily in the background.
This can help pinpoint the cause of battery woes. For example, a faulty
contact entry may affect syncing your iCloud contacts. In this
scenario, the iCloud sync might end up endlessly looping in the
background, enough to quickly drain your battery. Has any of the
aforementioned tips helped improve your iPhone 4S's battery
performance? Chime in with your thoughts in the comments.




Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to 9to5Mac using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

16.

Restore or Reformat?

Posted by: "Alice Saunders" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:12 pm (PDT)



Hi all, I had some problems booting my iMac, running Lion 10.7.2, last night. To get it to boot I unplugged my 4 external hard drives, starting up the iMac, then shutting it down, reconnecting all the hard drives and starting it up again. I then couldn't get my hard drive or any desktop folders to open. Anyway, I think I have that pretty much fixed.

My question is, I was thinking about redoing the whole iMac internal hard drive, starting from scratch. If I do that, when I plug in my iPhone, Classic iPod and iPad, will it erase all the data on them? I do have a Time Machine backup done overnight but I'm afraid there's still a little problem with the iMac that might have been backed up. Also, should I do a reformat and put back on the iMac the software one by one? Or do the optional restore on the iMac? BTW, my iTunes library is on an external drive, so importing it back into iTunes is no big deal for me. I know either way, it's going to be a tedious and long process whichever way I go. I've done it on several Mac laptops I've had in the past with no problems.

Thanks for the help :-)

Alice

Sent from my iPhone 4
17a.

iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:28 pm (PDT)



Hey Guys - does anyone know if the current generation Nanos support
Bluetooth? I see some "add-ons" that plug in to the Apple 30-pin connector
and create a dedicated Bluetooth to the other end of the device but I would
like to use all of my current Bluetooth headphones.

Second, I stay on top of the iPhone/iPad/iOS beyond a normal level but I
only scan the rest - has there been any rumors other than (
Buyersguide.Macrumors.Com) about a holiday iMac Refresh? The other half is
finally ready to give up her Windows desktop and either wants a 27" iMac or
would "settle" for a 27" Cinema Display that she can plug her Macbook (or
my old Macbook Air, or one of the Mac Minis) in to.

Personally I would like to buy myself a new Quad Core i7 27" and convince
her my last gen 24" will fit her needs.

The above leads to the last question, I know that the previous 2010 27"
iMacs allowed you to use the display for another machine and they disabled
that with the introduction of the 2011 Thunderbold 27", correct? The
current 27" Cinema Displays support both current and older non-Thunderbolt
Display port machines (pre 2011 MBPros, 2010 Air, pre 2011 Minis, etc)
correct?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

17b.

Re: iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm (PDT)



> Hey Guys - does anyone know if the current generation Nanos support Bluetooth? I see some "add-ons" that plug in to the Apple 30-pin connector and create a dedicated Bluetooth to the other end of the device but I would like to use all of my current Bluetooth headphones.

Apple's Bluetooth support page doesn't list Nano's....

> Second, I stay on top of the iPhone/iPad/iOS beyond a normal level but I only scan the rest - has there been any rumors other than (Buyersguide.Macrumors.Com) about a holiday iMac Refresh?

*I* haven't heard (read) any rumors.

> Personally I would like to buy myself a new Quad Core i7 27" and convince her my last gen 24" will fit her needs.

My frustration is that I don't feel I need a 27" screen, but the internal capabilities on the top-of-the-line 27" are greater than those of the top-of-the-line 21.5"....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

17c.

Re: iPod Nano, iMac and Cinema Display question

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 pm (PDT)



I couldn't find anything about Nano either - I know the last generation did
**not** have it but a few vendors sold a "dock connector" that created
Bluetooth and I thought for some reason that during they 4S keynote they
mentioned something about wireless support but I must have remembered
incorrectly.

If they still made a 24" that is, for me, about the perfect size - the
21.5" is a little small and the 27" does seem huge but as you mentioned the
specs are just better for my needs...

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Resources and tips

for parents

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.