8/15/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9704

9 New Messages

Digest #9704
1a
Re: New group member by "N.A. Nada"
2a
Re: Verify/Repair Permissions by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
3a
4a
Re: From Word to Pages by "Carol" floridabouvs
4b
Re: From Word to Pages by "Bekah" bekalex
4c
Re: From Word to Pages by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
4d
Re: From Word to Pages by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
4e
Re: From Word to Pages by "Bill Castine" wcastine

Messages

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Welcome.

Brent
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, early 2008, Mac OS X 10.7.5
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

On Aug 14, 2013, at 1:11 PM, aaandme127 wrote:

My name is Allen Eaton a new member to this group. I use a macbook on location, and installing a mac mini OS X Mountain lion for final photo editing. Thank you Allen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> What does it mean if, with Disc Utility, I select my boot drive and both Permissions buttons are gray? They work for my other HDs.

Try selecting a *partition* of the drive (or "volume").
Every drive has at least one.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> I bought the Pages app for my ipad and it downloaded fine. My iPhone, on the same account, is trying to download Pages too, but it has been stuck for hours. The icon says "waiting" and the progress bar is at zero. I powered off the phone and started it back up, but it is still stuck on waiting.

Swipe left-to-right to get to the search page, and search for "Pages".
>
If it finds it, you will need to find the actual app on one of the home screens, then delete it.
THEN try the download again.

*IF* you sync with your computer/iTunes, once you sync the iPad, the app should be on the computer, and you can select it and sync it to the iPhone.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"LouisD" ldina

Thanks—syncing did the trick.

I first synched my iPad to make sure a copy of Pages was backed up to my Mac. Then, I synced the iPhone and the app shows up and works on both devices now. No more "waiting" on my iPhone!!

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> Try syncing it from your computer.
>
>
> On Aug 14, 2013, at 2:25 PM, LouisD wrote:
>
> I bought the Pages app for my ipad and it downloaded fine. My iPhone, on the same account, is trying to download Pages too, but it has been stuck for hours. The icon says "waiting" and the progress bar is at zero. I powered off the phone and started it back up, but it is still stuck on waiting.
>
> This is thenfirstmtime I've had this problem. Earlier today, I successfully downloaded the Numbers app and it downloaded fine to both devices.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" floridabouvs

Oh, so no way to start writing on a PC in Word and finishing in Pages on the iMac? Bummer!
Thanks for clarifying.
Carol

Jim wrote:
You CAN'T create a document in Word and save it in Pages format.
But Pages will open .doc files.
Sent from my iPhone 5

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bekah" bekalex

Couldn't you email the Word doc to yourself as an attachment, open it in Pages and then continue?

I don't know but I can't think of why not.

Bekah

On Aug 14, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, so no way to start writing on a PC in Word and finishing in Pages on the iMac? Bummer!
> Thanks for clarifying.
> Carol
>
> Jim wrote:
> You CAN'T create a document in Word and save it in Pages format.
> But Pages will open .doc files.
> Sent from my iPhone 5
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/files/faq.htm>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

How did you come to this conclusion?

Close the file in Word on the PC, transfer to the Mac using your home
network or some sort of "cloud", and open in Pages on the Mac.

Otto

On 14 August 2013 23:37, Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, so no way to start writing on a PC in Word and finishing in Pages on
> the iMac? Bummer!
> Thanks for clarifying.
> Carol
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> You CAN'T create a document in Word and save it in Pages format. But Pages will open .doc files.
>
> Oh, so no way to start writing on a PC in Word and finishing in Pages on the iMac? Bummer!
> Thanks for clarifying.
> Carol

There IS a Word for Mac, but I can't say if you can move a "live" document between Windows an Mac Word easily.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bill Castine" wcastine

A Word document doesn't care whether it was created on a Mac or a Windoze machine. I use the Microsoft Office suite because so many of my friends do, as well as coworkers before I retired. I also have Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Just for fun, I opened Pages and tried to open a Word (.docx) file that I know was created in Windoze. There were two messages concerning a particular aspect that could not be read, but the document showed up just fine and I never did discern a problem.

Bekah is right: create the document in Word on Windoze then transfer it to your Mac via e-mail, USB drive, DropBox, or whatever, then open it in Pages. If you might subsquently use it on a Windoze machine again after manipulating it in Pages, be sure to save it in .doc or .docx format (as well as Pages format) so you can read it after you transfer it back to the other machine.

Bill C.

On Aug 14, 2013, at 8:52 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:

> >> You CAN'T create a document in Word and save it in Pages format. But Pages will open .doc files.
> >
> > Oh, so no way to start writing on a PC in Word and finishing in Pages on the iMac? Bummer!
> > Thanks for clarifying.
> > Carol
>
> There IS a Word for Mac, but I can't say if you can move a "live" document between Windows an Mac Word easily.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]