8/28/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9722

8 New Messages

Digest #9722
1a
Re: Cloud storage by "Michael Stupinski" mstupinski
3a
Re: Ibooks stuck on install by "Jay Abraham" kerala01212001
4
YouTube videos and caching by "Dave C" davec2468
5
What happened. by "Hester Reik" drhester_06107

Messages

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:59 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Michael Stupinski" mstupinski

The original buyer cut it pretty close. Production of the Corvette started in July 1953, and the Korean armistice was signed July 27, 1953.

......Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 27, 2013, at 2:45 AM, Don <y-photo.96705@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> Many years ago one of my coworkers at Vandenberg Air Force Base was in the Pismo Beach CA Corvette club (maybe it was just sports car club - not relevant).
>
> The club investigated a story of a mint condition first year of manufacture Vette that was sold for $500.00 The club found the car and traced its history back to the Chevy dealer. They were still looking for the creep who bought it for $500.00 when I moved out of the area.
>
> The pieced together story is that the car was originally purchased by an eighteen year old boy. The week after purchasing the car he got his draft notice for the Korean was. With 1500 miles on the car he wrapped it up for storage in his mother's garage. The young man was killed in Korea and mom just couldn't bring herself to sell the car. Thirty years later mom had to move to a nursing home. She peaked into the wrapping on the car and saw a Chevrolet emblem. Chevy's of that vintage were listed in the newspaper in the $500 range. She listed it and quickly got a buyer.
>
> Don at 21.9N 159.6W
>
> On Aug 21, 2013, at 11:26, hester wrote:
>
>>
>>>
>>> Ever hear the story about the fellow who answered the ad for a "1965 Corvette in like-new condition" for $50?
>>>
>>> He phoned in his interest, he went to the house, the woman took him out to a wonderfully-equipped hobbyist's garage, and there it was, actually in like-new condition, very well cared for.
>>>
>>> He paid her the $50, received a receipt and the title, and only then asked why she was selling it so inexpensively.
>>>
>>> She said her husband had run off with his secretary two weeks ago, and had just left a phone message: "Need money. Sell the 'Vette. Send me half."
>>>
>>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/files/faq.htm>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> This morning I attempted to install, but when I ran the installer I was told that I can't use the MacPro HD. When I tried clicking on it anyway (it was grayed out) the message was that this drive was being used for Time Machine backups.

If you open System Preferences -- Time Machine, then click on the lock and enter your password, you can then click on the "Options..." in the lower right corner.

Near the bottom, you have a choice of "Back up while on battery power"

If this is CHECKED, Time Machine will continue to make TM "snapshots&quot; even when the Time Machine external storage drive is disconnected, and you are running on battery. These snapshots are then stored ON THE INTERNAL DRIVE. And they will continue to be created until the drive is full.

If you wish to stop this behavior, UNcheck the box on the Options... sheet.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Pat Taylor" pat412255

Thanks for this helpful tip. I've now changed my preferences to stop backups while on battery power. Do you know where these old backups might be stored on my internal drive so I can delete them?

On Aug 27, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:

> If you open System Preferences -- Time Machine, then click on the lock and enter your password, you can then click on the "Options..." in the lower right corner.
>
> Near the bottom, you have a choice of "Back up while on battery power"
>
> If this is CHECKED, Time Machine will continue to make TM "snapshots&quot; even when the Time Machine external storage drive is disconnected, and you are running on battery. These snapshots are then stored ON THE INTERNAL DRIVE. And they will continue to be created until the drive is full.
>
> If you wish to stop this behavior, UNcheck the box on the Options... sheet.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Pat Taylor" pat412255

I found the answer on our old friend Google. I first followed Jim's suggestion, then turned off Time Machine & restarted my laptop. That deleted the snapshots from my internal drive. I then turned Time Machine back on.

On Aug 27, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Pat Taylor <pat412@mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this helpful tip. I've now changed my preferences to stop backups while on battery power. Do you know where these old backups might be stored on my internal drive so I can delete them?
>
> On Aug 27, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> If you open System Preferences -- Time Machine, then click on the lock and enter your password, you can then click on the "Options..." in the lower right corner.
>>
>> Near the bottom, you have a choice of "Back up while on battery power"
>>
>> If this is CHECKED, Time Machine will continue to make TM "snapshots&quot; even when the Time Machine external storage drive is disconnected, and you are running on battery. These snapshots are then stored ON THE INTERNAL DRIVE. And they will continue to be created until the drive is full.
>>
>> If you wish to stop this behavior, UNcheck the box on the Options... sheet.
>>
>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> Thanks for this helpful tip. I've now changed my preferences to stop backups while on battery power. Do you know where these old backups might be stored on my internal drive so I can delete them?

Somewhere (I used to know where, but...) is a folder called "MobileBackups" (or possibly ".MobileBackups". It is an invisible folder under normal circumstances. If you know how, it can be deleted.

However, I find on Apple Support Forums:
> In most cases, do not worry about them. They're "thinned" automatically, down to one per day for a week, then deleted. And they'll be deleted as necessary if your HD gets over 80% full.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jay Abraham" kerala01212001

I wasn't trying to update on plane. I noticed issue and saw it was stuck on plane. I did reset but Apple Genius could not figure out anything else other than restoring to factory default and resyncing.

Jay

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 27, 2013, at 12:04 AM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> A Reset should not cause any lose of your data. A Restore (to factory defaults) would cause lose all data.
>
> Why were you trying to update apps on a plane? You probably had no internet connection.
>
>
>
>
> On Aug 26, 2013, at 9:29 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> I've got an iBooks app which appears stuck on install. Noticed it today when I left the house on a business trip. I had synced with my computer wirelessly overnight and it indicated the sync had completed with some exceptions. I don't believe exceptions are related.
>
> On plane when I tried to find app, it didn't show. Then when I went to app center it showed on apps to update as updating.
>
> I tried all the things indicated with google search - hit it once to stop update, then restart update. Didn't work. Tried deleting app - won't delete. Tried restarting iPad - no success. Tried Genius Bar at Apple Store - only solution they could offer was to reset iPad. Can't do that while I'm away as this is my only computer while traveling.
>
> Any suggestions or am I out of luck until I get back him?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/files/faq.htm>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:32 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

I had a singular experience while watching a YouTube video today. The video wasn't anything special (Jet Li in "The One") but the caching was.

I was watching the video using Firefox on a Windows 7 laptop. I had to stop after about 20 minutes so I put it to sleep and took the laptop with me. Later I opened the laptop and attempted to connect to a local wireless network but because there was some issue doing so I had to give up. For whatever reason I started the browser and the video resumed where it left off, AND it continued to the end -- for another hour and a quarter -- without internet connection.

Which means that Firefox under Windows cached the entire video in about 20 minutes.

My Macs have never been able to do this. If I have any trouble with my internet connection the YouTube video halts immediately.

Am I the only one who finds this experience (caching an entire video so quickly) unusual?

Dave

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Hester Reik" drhester_06107

Yesterday after a random restart I saw a window saying the date/clock was
set to before 2000. There were instructions how to reset. But all the tabs
were grayed out so I couldn't reset.

I realized that my Airport icon was also grayed out and had to re-enter my
pw to join the network. Only then I was able to reset date/time and after
reading on-line went ahead and reset the SMC.

I am curious b/c 2 weeks ago I had to have my HD replaced as it was failing
and wanted to make sure something else (??? MOtherboard) is not on the way
out?

MBP 2009
Snow Leopard
2.26 GH
4 G RAM
New 500 GB HD

hester

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]