10/07/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2673

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

1a.
Re: A Coin Flip From: bj
1b.
Re: A Coin Flip From: mdoyle13
2a.
Re: Daylight savings for iphone4 From: Janet Rhoden
3a.
Re: How do I get Facebook notifications? From: davidpriceuk

Messages

1a.

Re: A Coin Flip

Posted by: "bj" bjones44@verizon.net   jblair44

Thu Oct 6, 2011 6:56 pm (PDT)



-----Original Message-----
From: shannoncooley@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:39 PM
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [apple-iphone] A Coin Flip

Now, with iPhone 4S, not sure if I should go for 4S or stick with buying
iPhone 4 and wait for iPhone 5, or (oh dear) maybe 6?
=======================================================

This, among many other messages, sounds as if it's the *name* that's the
hangup, not the product itself.

Would you leap if it were "iPhone 5"?

It's *this year's version*, whatever its name. Either it has something that
interests you or it doesn't, and if it does then either you decide it's
worth the price ($, contract, whatever) or it's not &/or you can either
afford it or you can't.

This isn't something someone else can decide for you -- only you know if a
better (?) camera, faster processor, more memory, etc etc etc is worth it
*to you.*

Personally, I don't care what it's called; I'm still not interested in a new
phone just now. But if I were going to buy a new one at all I wouldn't get
one that's already an older model -- i.e. I wouldn't buy a 4 now, I'd either
stick with what I already had or get the 4S.
bj
(happy with my 4 even if it is old-tech :-))

1b.

Re: A Coin Flip

Posted by: "mdoyle13" mdoyle13@yahoo.com   mdoyle13

Fri Oct 7, 2011 12:21 am (PDT)





--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: shannoncooley@...
> Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:39 PM
> To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [apple-iphone] A Coin Flip
>
> Now, with iPhone 4S, not sure if I should go for 4S or stick with buying
> iPhone 4 and wait for iPhone 5, or (oh dear) maybe 6?
> =======================================================
>
> This, among many other messages, sounds as if it's the *name* that's the
> hangup, not the product itself.
>
> Would you leap if it were "iPhone 5"?
>
> It's *this year's version*, whatever its name. Either it has something that
> interests you or it doesn't, and if it does then either you decide it's
> worth the price ($, contract, whatever) or it's not &/or you can either
> afford it or you can't.
>
> This isn't something someone else can decide for you -- only you know if a
> better (?) camera, faster processor, more memory, etc etc etc is worth it
> *to you.*
>
> Personally, I don't care what it's called; I'm still not interested in a new
> phone just now. But if I were going to buy a new one at all I wouldn't get
> one that's already an older model -- i.e. I wouldn't buy a 4 now, I'd either
> stick with what I already had or get the 4S.
> bj
> (happy with my 4 even if it is old-tech :-))
>

Agree that the name seems to be the hangup for a lot of folks. So far every version has had something(s) the previous one didn't. That will probably hold true next year or whenever the next version is released. I don't recall ever seeing anything other than speculation that this one would be "iPhone5." I don't know what would make "iPhone5" better than "iPhone 4S." It's semantics.

I also agree on not buying the older model that is 12-18 months in. We did that two years ago, getting my wife a 3G six months after the 3GS was released. I had a 3G at the time and didn't feel what I considered a few upgrades to be worth the extra $ for the 3GS. Now her 3G is almost obsolete so I'm using her upgrade to get the 4S and will pass down my 4 to her (I'm the heavier user of the phone so she is fine with that). I would now rather spend a little more to get the current one and the two-year contract rather than get the contract and a "new" phone that's already 12-15 months old.

But that's just my situation. YMMV.

2a.

Re: Daylight savings for iphone4

Posted by: "Janet Rhoden" msjdr@aol.com   msjdr33

Thu Oct 6, 2011 7:21 pm (PDT)



settings, general, date & time, set automatically.
make sure you did this. and if it isn't working turn the phone completely off. try again.
if still not working stop in an ATT store.
j

----- Original Message -----
From: Jenny Smith
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:02 PM
Subject: [apple-iphone] Daylight savings for iphone4

Hi
I am new to the group,
We are having problems with daylight saving time on our iPhone 4
It will not automatically fix this,
Any suggestions
Thanks

3a.

Re: How do I get Facebook notifications?

Posted by: "davidpriceuk" acuedit@fireflyuk.net   davidpriceuk

Fri Oct 7, 2011 12:21 am (PDT)



Thanks - I think I've got the settings right. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the time restriction actually works, whether it's safer not to restrict the times - I've got it from 7 in the morning to 10 at night. I still don't think I'm getting all the notifications I should be getting.

David

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Alec Usticke <list3@...> wrote:
>
> You can configure FB SMS notifications here: http://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=mobile
>
> Email notification options are here (more choices): http://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=notifications
>
> --
> Alec Usticke
>
> On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:37 AM, "davidpriceuk" <acuedit@...> wrote:
>
> > I recently got an iPhone for the first time - a 3GS. I downloaded the Facebook app and I set it up to receive text message notifications - at least I think I did. I've had one such message - a friend request, but nothing else. Is that all I can expect? I thought I'd get texts telling me that I had new messages or even status updates.
> >
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Y! Groups blog

the best source

for the latest

scoop on Groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Group

Join a group for

people who love cats

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.