10/14/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8492

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Technical grammar (was:Another HD Deal)

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 pm (PDT)



> Howdy.
> You are all wrong.
> HDD is clearly a JTI.

JTI Inc or Japan Tobacco, a cigarette manufacturing company
JTI Foundation Inc., the owner of Join the Impact, an American LGBT political movement
Jungian Type Indicator, a psychometric questionnaire to assess personality types

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Copying networked files

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 pm (PDT)



Todd,
In a Finder window I click on a networked computer icon under
"Shared" in the left column. Then I click on the "Connect As..."
button below the tool bar. I enter the user name and password in the
dialog that appears. I now see 3 folders, each with the "shared" icon
on them (3 stick figures).

I then open a folder on my computer's hard drive. I drag one of the
networked computer's folders onto the folder on my HD. As I drag the
folder, it turns into an alias icon. I drop the folder icon and I see
an alias of the folder.

Not sure what to do now...

Thanks,
Dave

-=-=-=-

>Something is not right about my understanding. Need more details.
>I know that sound silly, but I do this, literally ever day on many
>machines.
>
>tod

-=-=-=-

> > I want to do a "safety backup" in case something happens while I'm
>> not in possession of my external backups (long story).
>>
>> I connected to a Mac on my LAN (as the one and only registered user)
>> and dragged the 3 folders on that Mac's HD to my HD. What shows up
>> are 3 aliases of these folders.
>>
>> How can I get the contents of those folders copied using Finder?
>>
>> Thanks,
> > Dave

3a.

"Another device using IP address"

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 pm (PDT)



Small business has ATT / 2-Wire (model 2701HG-B) router. Connected
via Ethernet is a 1TB Time Capsule. The office Macs (2) are connected
to the router wirelessly.

All too frequently, a message comes up on one of the iMacs (one
particular one and only that one) that another device on the network
is using the same IP address. This does not occur when visitors (with
laptops or iPhones) are on-site.

The router is configured to deliver all IP addresses via DHCP. There
are no fixed IP addresses.

If it weren't for the fact that visitors with laptops and iPhones
sometimes want access to this network, I would filter access using
MAC hardware addresses. But that's not possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

3b.

Re: "Another device using IP address"

Posted by: "Richie Z" hotsumatra@mac.com   hotsumatra

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 am (PDT)



how often does your DHCP lease renew?
maybe that particular mac isn't renewing often enough?
regards,
.rz

On Oct 14, 2011, at 2:35 AM, DaveC wrote:

> Small business has ATT / 2-Wire (model 2701HG-B) router. Connected
> via Ethernet is a 1TB Time Capsule. The office Macs (2) are connected
> to the router wirelessly.
>
> All too frequently, a message comes up on one of the iMacs (one
> particular one and only that one) that another device on the network
> is using the same IP address. This does not occur when visitors (with
> laptops or iPhones) are on-site.
>
> The router is configured to deliver all IP addresses via DHCP. There
> are no fixed IP addresses.
>
> If it weren't for the fact that visitors with laptops and iPhones
> sometimes want access to this network, I would filter access using
> MAC hardware addresses. But that's not possible.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>

--

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Can someone explain this?

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 am (PDT)




On Oct 13, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Robert wrote:

> Whenever I open a folder with a large number of items on my MBP
> (such as my App folder), there is a noticeable lag before the files
> are displayed on the screen.

I recommend that you run all of the routine maintenance suggested at:

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

and see if that helps.

If it does not, try this:

Launch Activity Monitor (in your Applications/Utilities folder), and
click on the "%CPU" header, and then click on the triangle in the %CPU
header so that things are ordered in that column from largest to
least. See what is running that is using the most CPU time. If
something has a really high number, this is likely to be something
that is causing a system-wide
slowdown. Let me know what that thing is, and I can tell you how to
deal with it.

If you have startup items enabled, or Web browser extensions (such as
Flash) installed, or system extensions installed, and any of them are
outdated with respect to the version of OS X your are running, they
could be dragging your entire computer down.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.