11/16/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2785

Messages In This Digest (19 Messages)

1a.
Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem From: Jay Abraham
1b.
Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem From: Otto Nikolaus
1c.
Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem From: Devitt
1d.
Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem From: whiterabbit32
2.
How do I delete contacts From: Ron Little
3a.
Weird MobileMe problem From: Sandy Foster
3b.
Re: Weird MobileMe problem From: Jay Abraham
3c.
Re: Weird MobileMe problem From: whiterabbit32
4.
iTunes Match Has Us on Cloud Nine [REVIEW] From: Bill Boulware
5.
Reminder: today is the last day of the grace period on AppleCare+ fo From: Bill Boulware
6.
What do these new items in iTunes mean about your Match Library? From: Bill Boulware
7a.
Groups on iPhone From: barbara196141
7b.
Re: Groups on iPhone From: Jay Abraham
7c.
Re: Groups on iPhone From: Donald
7d.
Re: Groups on iPhone From: Greg Smith
8a.
Another printer question From: Mike Rodgers
8b.
Re: Another printer question From: Donald
9a.
Re: ITunes won't stay closed on my computer From: whiterabbit32
10a.
Re: Incipio From: whiterabbit32

Messages

1a.

Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 am (PST)



Cathy

If you are entering a password through Safari, you are most likely on the guest network of your landlord. Most current routers come with two networks - one that provides full access to the network and another guest network which you enter password through your browser and get Internet access.

However even with this network you should have full access for mail and your apps unless the person setting up the network limited it to browsing only.

I think you are going to either have the landlord give you full access to the regular network or open up the restrictions on the guest network - unfortunately given what you have conveyed they probably didn't set up the network themselves.

Regards

Jay

Mobile Reply

On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:07 PM, Devitt <devittad@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm at an apartment rental in San Diego with a password protected N+ wireless router. I entered the password through Safari assuming this would allow me to use all my apps and Mail as well as Safari just as it does at home. However, the only app that will connect is Safari. I have to turn off wifi and use 3G for Mail, and any other app I want to use. it's the same for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 (running ios5)
>
> While 3G is no big deal for Mail it just isn't suitable for my magazine apps via Zinio or any other data hungry apps. The landlord is clueless. All she could tell me was that another person had the same problem with an iPad so I should go around the corner to a hot dog stand with free wifi. Not very helpful. I don't think the problem is with the iPad but the security setup in the router.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for what I should try? It stinks to be restricted to Internet browsing only.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Cathy
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 am (PST)



On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi and switch it ON. A list of networks
appears under Choose a Network, with padlocks for protected ones. If yours
is there, select it and enter the security type (WEP, WPA, or WPA2)* and
the password. If your router is set to hide its network name (SSID), it
won't be listed and you need to select Other and enter the name along with
the security type and password.

Having done this, your iPhone should automatically reconnect to your
network whenever you come home and every app will be able to use it.

I don't have an iPad but I assume the process is identical.

*There is no reason to use WEP these days unless you have any computers
with really old wifi hardware. It's outdated and not very secure.

Otto

On 15 November 2011 03:07, Devitt <devittad@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm at an apartment rental in San Diego with a password protected N+
> wireless router. I entered the password through Safari assuming this would
> allow me to use all my apps and Mail as well as Safari just as it does at
> home. However, the only app that will connect is Safari. I have to turn
> off wifi and use 3G for Mail, and any other app I want to use. it's the
> same for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 (running ios5)
>
> While 3G is no big deal for Mail it just isn't suitable for my magazine
> apps via Zinio or any other data hungry apps. The landlord is clueless.
> All she could tell me was that another person had the same problem with an
> iPad so I should go around the corner to a hot dog stand with free wifi.
> Not very helpful. I don't think the problem is with the iPad but the
> security setup in the router.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for what I should try? It stinks to be
> restricted to Internet browsing only.
>
> Many thanks,
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem

Posted by: "Devitt" devittad@comcast.net   devittad

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:45 am (PST)



Hallelujah, that did it! I put the password into Client ID in the wifi settings and all seem to be working. Many, many thanks. I'll pass the info on to the landlord so she can tell the next iPad/iPhone using renter.

Cathy

Sent from my iPad

> have you tried putting the password into the WEP under wifi settings?
>
> On Monday, November 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Devitt wrote:
>
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm at an apartment rental in San Diego with a password protected N+ wireless router. I entered the password through Safari assuming this would allow me to use all my apps and Mail as well as Safari just as it does at home. However, the only app that will connect is Safari. I have to turn off wifi and use 3G for Mail, and any other app I want to use. it's the same for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 (running ios5)
> >
> > While 3G is no big deal for Mail it just isn't suitable for my magazine apps via Zinio or any other data hungry apps. The landlord is clueless. All she could tell me was that another person had the same problem with an iPad so I should go around the corner to a hot dog stand with free wifi. Not very helpful. I don't think the problem is with the iPad but the security setup in the router.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions for what I should try? It stinks to be restricted to Internet browsing only.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Cathy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Belkin N+ Wireless router problem

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 am (PST)



Yup. Process is identical on the iPad :-)

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 15, 2011, at 4:37 AM, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi and switch it ON. A list of networks
> appears under Choose a Network, with padlocks for protected ones. If yours
> is there, select it and enter the security type (WEP, WPA, or WPA2)* and
> the password. If your router is set to hide its network name (SSID), it
> won't be listed and you need to select Other and enter the name along with
> the security type and password.
>
> Having done this, your iPhone should automatically reconnect to your
> network whenever you come home and every app will be able to use it.
>
> I don't have an iPad but I assume the process is identical.
>
> *There is no reason to use WEP these days unless you have any computers
> with really old wifi hardware. It's outdated and not very secure.
>
> Otto
>
> On 15 November 2011 03:07, Devitt <devittad@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm at an apartment rental in San Diego with a password protected N+
> > wireless router. I entered the password through Safari assuming this would
> > allow me to use all my apps and Mail as well as Safari just as it does at
> > home. However, the only app that will connect is Safari. I have to turn
> > off wifi and use 3G for Mail, and any other app I want to use. it's the
> > same for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 (running ios5)
> >
> > While 3G is no big deal for Mail it just isn't suitable for my magazine
> > apps via Zinio or any other data hungry apps. The landlord is clueless.
> > All she could tell me was that another person had the same problem with an
> > iPad so I should go around the corner to a hot dog stand with free wifi.
> > Not very helpful. I don't think the problem is with the iPad but the
> > security setup in the router.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions for what I should try? It stinks to be
> > restricted to Internet browsing only.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.

How do I delete contacts

Posted by: "Ron Little" Ron@91710.com   ron_little2003

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 am (PST)



I now have my new 4S configured and the contacts, videos, pictures, and apps installed. I also have deleted videos, pictures and apps on my 3GS. I have about 75 contacts in both phones and want t delete them in ONLY the 3GS. I want to delete them in mass, not one at a time. How would I do that without messing up the 4S???

3a.

Weird MobileMe problem

Posted by: "Sandy Foster" sw.foster1@gmail.com   sandy_quilter

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 am (PST)



I haven't yet migrated to iCloud, so I'm still on MobileMe, at least until I get this problem straightened out. I'm running OS X10.7.2 on my MacBook Pro, and the latest iOS update on my iPhone4 and iPad2. Up until recently syncing among the three was flawless, but I suddenly have a problem. While my MBP and iPhone are showing everything correctly, the iPad2 now shows all events from the calendar two hours "off". Instead of seeing an appointment I've entered for 9:30, it shows it at 11:30. To make it even stranger, this occurs in Reminders and in the calendar as long as I don't enter the edit area; as soon as I click to edit, the time shows correctly — until I close the edit window, at which time it again shows as two hours later than it should.

I've tried changing my time zone and changing it back. I've tried restarting the iPad (both buttons held down). I've tried adding new events. Nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

---
Sandy

3b.

Re: Weird MobileMe problem

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:06 am (PST)



Hi Sandy,

I have been having problems with Mobile Me as well - not same as yours but rather syncs between the devices not updating correctly.

Anyway take a look at the MobileMe website and see how your calendar appears. If they look correct there then the problem is on your iPad, on the other hand if they are not correct there, it is most likely a mobile Me issue.

If it is correct on the MobileMe website, then take a look at the iPad and see what time zone your calendar is set to. I think this is in the general settings menu but not completely sure as I don't have my iPad next to me right now.

Jay

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Sandy Foster wrote:

> I haven't yet migrated to iCloud, so I'm still on MobileMe, at least until I get this problem straightened out. I'm running OS X10.7.2 on my MacBook Pro, and the latest iOS update on my iPhone4 and iPad2. Up until recently syncing among the three was flawless, but I suddenly have a problem. While my MBP and iPhone are showing everything correctly, the iPad2 now shows all events from the calendar two hours "off". Instead of seeing an appointment I've entered for 9:30, it shows it at 11:30. To make it even stranger, this occurs in Reminders and in the calendar as long as I don't enter the edit area; as soon as I click to edit, the time shows correctly — until I close the edit window, at which time it again shows as two hours later than it should.
>
> I've tried changing my time zone and changing it back. I've tried restarting the iPad (both buttons held down). I've tried adding new events. Nothing has worked.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!
>
> ---
> Sandy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: Weird MobileMe problem

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am (PST)



I upgraded to iCloud with no problems. No problems on MobileMe when I had it. I do miss being able to put up a website with iWeb. It was super easy with MobileMe. Galleries were super easy too. I switched to Flickr. I like it but it's more work setting up collections, then each set within the collections. The price is right though :-)

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:29 AM, Jay Abraham <jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net> wrote:

> Hi Sandy,
>
> I have been having problems with Mobile Me as well - not same as yours but rather syncs between the devices not updating correctly.
>
> Anyway take a look at the MobileMe website and see how your calendar appears. If they look correct there then the problem is on your iPad, on the other hand if they are not correct there, it is most likely a mobile Me issue.
>
> If it is correct on the MobileMe website, then take a look at the iPad and see what time zone your calendar is set to. I think this is in the general settings menu but not completely sure as I don't have my iPad next to me right now.
>
> Jay
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Sandy Foster wrote:
>
>> I haven�t yet migrated to iCloud, so I�m still on MobileMe, at least until I get this problem straightened out. I�m running OS X10.7.2 on my MacBook Pro, and the latest iOS update on my iPhone4 and iPad2. Up until recently syncing among the three was flawless, but I suddenly have a problem. While my MBP and iPhone are showing everything correctly, the iPad2 now shows all events from the calendar two hours �off�. Instead of seeing an appointment I�ve entered for 9:30, it shows it at 11:30. To make it even stranger, this occurs in Reminders and in the calendar as long as I don�t enter the edit area; as soon as I click to edit, the time shows correctly � until I close the edit window, at which time it again shows as two hours later than it should.
>>
>> I�ve tried changing my time zone and changing it back. I�ve tried restarting the iPad (both buttons held down). I�ve tried adding new events. Nothing has worked.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!
>>
>> ---
>> Sandy
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

4.

iTunes Match Has Us on Cloud Nine [REVIEW]

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 am (PST)



http://feeds.mashable.com/~r/Mashable/~3/GfVUoVpVJMQ/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: iTunes Match Has Us on
Cloud Nine [REVIEW] via Mashable! by Christina Warren on 11/14/11


iTunes Match is now available and ready for sign-ups.

Apple introduced the service back at WWDC 2011; it’s a way to access
all your iTunes music via the cloud, for a fee.

Similar to Amazon’s Cloud Player and Google Music, iTunes Match offers
users the ability to access their music libraries â€" whether tracks were
purchased via iTunes or not â€" from iTunes on a Mac or PC and from iOS 5
devices, including the Apple TV 2.

The service is $24.99 a year. For that $25, users can upload up to
25,000 tracks to the iTunes Cloud (past iTunes purchases do not count
against that total) and access their tunes on up to 10 devices.

We’ve been playing with the service since it first hit beta and have
watched it evolve from a promising â€" if buggy â€" tool into a well
executed consumer-centric music solution.

After downloading iTunes 10.5.1, users can opt to enable iTunes Match.
After paying the annual fee, iTunes will scan a user’s iTunes library
and upload or match the songs that it finds to its servers.

Apple has a catalog of more than 20 million songs, which means most
users’ existing albums and tracks will already be in Apple’s database,
drastically reducing the amount of time it takes to upload a library to
the cloud.

This is a major advantage over both Amazon Cloud Player and Google
Music. Another major advantage is that unlike Amazon, which requires
pre-Cloud Player purchases to be uploaded to its servers retroactively,
all of your iTunes purchases are accessible, thanks to iTunes in the
Cloud.
iTunes Match and iTunes in the Cloud: Perfect Harmony
iTunes Match and iTunes in the Cloud work hand-in-hand. You can use
iTunes in the Cloud without iTunes Match, but when the two are working
together, the entire process is utterly seamless.

Over the course of nearly eight years, I have downloaded several
thousand songs from iTunes. Most of them are downloaded onto my iMac or
stored on an aging hard-drive based iPod. With iTunes Match/iTunes in
the Cloud, I have access to all of my past purchases in my library.
Even if I haven’t downloaded those songs to my MacBook Pro, the songs
are still viewable and playable.

Playing back these songs can take place in two ways. First, I can just
stream the song from the web, a la Spotify, MOG or Rdio. I can also opt
to download a track to my hard drive.

I can also create playlists or smart playlists using tracks from my
existing iTunes purchase library. On secondary machines, local uploads
are accessible in the same way that my iTunes purchases are.

The experience is similar to what subscribers to services like Spotify
have long enjoyed, but the difference is that now the songs I actually
own (or have acquired in other ways) are included.
Playlist Synchronization
The iTunes Match/iTunes in the Cloud harmony really comes together with
playlist synchronization.

You no longer need to manually sync playlists with your iOS device via
iTunes â€" instead it all takes place over the cloud. That means my
iPhone can see playlists I’ve created on my laptop or desktop.

The process works in reverse too. I can create playlists on my iPad or
iPhone and then access those playlists from within iTunes on the
desktop or from another iOS device.

Matching Songs with iTunes




After signing up for iTunes Match, the service will assess your library
and upload tracks from your personal library into the iTunes cloud.

If Apple can find a song in its own repository, it just matches the
song in place. For songs not available in Apple's servers, your own
files are uploaded directly to the cloud.


Click here to view this gallery.
High Quality Matched Tracks
Although most of my personal compressed musical files are stored in
LAME V0 (~225-278 bitrate, depending on the file), I have accumulated
some lesser quality tracks over the years.

By default, if iTunes Match finds a song in its library, it will
replace that track with a 256-kbps AAC version. These files are DRM
free when downloaded from the cloud â€" and appear to be the same files
users purchase directly from iTunes.

For some users, having improved sound quality will be a big deal,
though less discerning fans might not hear much of a difference.

Keep in mind Amazon also encodes its MP3s at at least 256kbps, so
tracks purchased on Amazon.com, uploaded to iTunes, really just wind up
changing from one format for another.

That’s an important distinction; although the iTunes Match tracks are
stored by iTunes, they are in the AAC or *.m4a format. Most MP3 players
will play this format, but be sure to check if you want to sideload
those tracks to another device.
Listening on the Go
If you want to listen to tracks from iTunes or an Apple TV 2 device,
you can stream songs without local downloads. Listening to songs on the
iPad or iPhone, however, will download a track (though it plays it
during the download process).

It would be nice if there was a way to indicate if you want to save a
track for offline listening or if you just want to stream tunes. The
advantage of this download upon play method, however, is that if you
are suddenly offline (like on the subway), you can still listen to
tracks you’ve recently played on your device.
Agains the Competition
iTunes Match competes directly with Google Music and Amazon Cloud
Player.

On the whole, iTunes Match stacks up well against the other services.
Although Google Music is free during the beta process, we expect the
company will charge $20 to $25 a year, just like Amazon and Apple.
Amazon charges $20 a year for a 20GB Cloud Drive, but promises
unlimited song storage.

Google limits users to 20,000 songs and iTunes Match is limited to
25,000 songs, not counting your existing iTunes purchases.

Unlike Amazon and Google, Apple does not have a browser-based music
player. For some, this may be a deal breaker. For me, it’s actually an
advantage.

I find web-based music apps to be clunky in execution. It’s why I
prefer the designated desktop apps for subscription streaming services.
It’s also why I loathe using Amazon Cloud Player, because the process
of getting songs into or out of my account is so tedious.

iTunes isn’t perfect, but it handles track playback, upload and
download with much less friction than a web interface.

Of course, the biggest difference between the services is mobile device
support. Amazon Cloud Player and Google Music are both available via
unofficial iOS apps, but there are native solutions available for
Android.

iTunes Match is only accessible from iTunes or iOS devices. That means
Android users are out of luck when it comes to cloud-based bliss. You
can still offload songs to your phone, using programs like DoubleTwist,
but the cloud-based options are iOS only.

Still, for a person invested in the iTunes ecosystem, iTunes Match is
the mature execution of the music cloud concept.

For me, paying $24.99 a year was worth it just to have seamless
playlist access as well as the ability to upload parts of my collection
from multiple machines.

What do you think of iTunes Match? Let us know.

More About: apple, Cloud Music, Feature, icloud, itunes-match, redesign



Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Mashable! using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

Reminder: today is the last day of the grace period on AppleCare+ fo

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 am (PST)



I was never a huge proponent of Applecare, nothing against it but you
could get a SquareTrade (or other) warranty that covered accidental
damage but the fact that for $99 you get AppleCare plus accidental
coverage, with up to two replacements (with $49 deductible each) you
could theoretically get two replacement phones for a grand total of
$197 ($99 Applecare+, $49 for each replacement).

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/0ev0tgTJv1w/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Reminder: today is the
last day of the grace period on AppleCare+ for the iPhone 4S via
9to5Mac by Jake Smith on 11/14/11



Today is the last day you can purchase AppleCare+ for your iPhone 4S or
iPhone 4, if you purchased it on October 14th or after. AppleCare+ was
announced along with the iPhone 4S, and is available for $99 (two
years). The plan not only gives you phone and genius bar support
coverage, but also accidental damage coverage with a $49 service
charge. The plan covers up to two accidents. $99 is a pretty solid
insurance policy (Square Trade offers the same).

However, for new iPhone 4S purchases, the AppleCare+ protection plan
can be purchased with the device on that day. Today was just the end of
the grace period Apple instated for pre-orders. Thanks for the reminder
Marco!
Related articles
- Samsung relents, won’t block iPhone 4S sales in South Korea after all
(9to5mac.com)
- Snoozing = losing? iPhone 4S now only available in some stores by
reservation (9to5mac.com)
- Apple airs its first amazing iPhone 4S Siri commercial (9to5mac.com)
- Apple already selling unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4S in the United
States (9to5mac.com)



Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to 9to5Mac using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.

What do these new items in iTunes mean about your Match Library?

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 am (PST)



http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/1LZuAAvFnME/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: What do these new items
in iTunes mean about your Match Library? via 9to5Mac by Jordan Kahn on
11/14/11



If you don’t know by now, Apple has officially opened up their iTunes
Match service to the public, bringing with it 256-kbps AAC DRM-free
copies of your non-iTunes purchased music for $25 a year. To help
familiarize users with the service, Apple has posted the following
chart walking us through some new iTunes Match related iCloud icons
you’ll start to notice in iTunes.



In addition, they also dropped some helpful guides explaining the ins
and outs of the service including Troubleshooting iTunes Match, How to
subscribe to iTunes Match, How to add a computer or iOS device to
iTunes Match, and How to delete songs from iCloud.

In the troubleshooting guide, we learn you can enable a column within
iTunes to display the iTunes Match/iCloud status of any given song in
your library. For example, whether it’s a “Matched” song or just
“Uploaded”. To do this, click “View > View Options” or press
“Command-J“, and click the “iCloud Status” checkbox (same place you
also enable “iCloud download”).

A MacRumors forum poster also offers a few helpful hints, while noting
iTunes Match keeps your meta-data (a nice touch if you tend to edit
data associated with your songs), the post clears up some concerns
regarding the intricacies of what happens with your local copies:

“Nothing happens to your local music when you run match. If you have a
lower quality song that was matched you can remove it from your local
library and then replace it with the 256k version. What happens is you
delete the song, but the entry in iTunes stays, but a little cloud now
shows up in a newly added column that shows you that you have a song
that is in the cloud but not in your library. You can click on the
cloud and it will download it to your local library, where again it is
now permanently yours at the higher bit rate.”

If you need yet more clarification regarding DRM and which songs are
eligible for iTunes Match, Apple breaks down the main things you need
to know:

- iTunes Match is currently available only in the United States. Songs
purchased outside of the United States iTunes Store containing DRM will
not be matched or uploaded to iCloud.
- If a song contains DRM and is no longer available on the iTunes Store
for purchase, the song is uploaded to iCloud and made available for
download in protected DRM format. You will be required to authorize
your computer or device for playback.
- A song will not be uploaded to iCloud if the song contains DRM, was
purchased using a different Apple ID, and could not be matched.
- When you subscribe to or enable iTunes Match, your iOS device or
computer will be associated to the Apple ID being used for iTunes
Match.
As for iTunes Match supported file formats, Apple explains:

- Songs encoded as MP3 or AAC that have been matched to the iTunes
Store will be made available for download as 256 kbps as AAC from
iCloud.
- Songs encoded as MP3 or AAC that cannot be matched to the iTunes
Store will be uploaded as is. These songs will be made available for
download in the same format it was uploaded in.
- Songs encoded as MP3 or AAC with a bitrate of 96 kbps or less will
not be matched or uploaded to iCloud.
- Songs encoded as ALAC, WAV, or AIFF, will be transcoded in iTunes to
256 kbps AAC when uploaded to iCloud.
- Song files over 200 MB will not be uploaded to iCloud. Related
articles
- iTunes Match libraries to be wiped tomorrow, November 12th as launch
nears (9to5mac.com)
- Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1, Match is available now (9to5mac.com)
- Apple seeds iTunes 10.5.1 beta 3 with fixes to continue iTunes Match
testing (9to5mac.com)
- As launch nears, Apple plans iTunes Match iCloud library reset for
Sept. 26 (9to5mac.com)



Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to 9to5Mac using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7a.

Groups on iPhone

Posted by: "barbara196141" barbara196141@yahoo.com   barbara196141

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 am (PST)



Does anyone know how to add a contact to several groups without having to add separate contact information each time they get added to another group? You end having multiple contacts in the file for each person.

If you delete one of the names in the All Contacts file it deletes it from one of the groups.

I would think that you should be able to add a person one time and then point it to as many groups as you want.

HELP!
Barbara

7b.

Re: Groups on iPhone

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 am (PST)



Barbara,

Have you tried doing this on your computer. I have a Mac and I can just drag the contact to as many groups as I want and it doesn't duplicate the contact. I can then see the contact in each grow that I added them to. This syncs through to the phone.

I don't know of a way to actually do this on the iPhone itself.

Jay

On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:10 AM, barbara196141 wrote:

> Does anyone know how to add a contact to several groups without having to add separate contact information each time they get added to another group? You end having multiple contacts in the file for each person.
>
> If you delete one of the names in the All Contacts file it deletes it from one of the groups.
>
> I would think that you should be able to add a person one time and then point it to as many groups as you want.
>
> HELP!
> Barbara

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7c.

Re: Groups on iPhone

Posted by: "Donald" xlnt74@sbcglobal.net   xlnt74@sbcglobal.net

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:50 pm (PST)





--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Jay Abraham <jaygroups@...> wrote:
I do all my " Groups " work using Outlook on my PC. Then the next time I sync they are on my iPhone.

> Barbara,
>
> Have you tried doing this on your computer. I have a Mac and I can just drag the contact to as many groups as I want and it doesn't duplicate the contact. I can then see the contact in each grow that I added them to. This syncs through to the phone.
>
> I don't know of a way to actually do this on the iPhone itself.
>
> Jay
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:10 AM, barbara196141 wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to add a contact to several groups without having to add separate contact information each time they get added to another group? You end having multiple contacts in the file for each person.
> >
> > If you delete one of the names in the All Contacts file it deletes it from one of the groups.
> >
> > I would think that you should be able to add a person one time and then point it to as many groups as you want.
> >
> > HELP!
> > Barbara
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

7d.

Re: Groups on iPhone

Posted by: "Greg Smith" eflocifile@yahoo.co.uk   eflocifile

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 am (PST)



Hi Barbara
Hadn't thought about the point you made by it make sense. Not sure which iOS you are using so going to suggest some points - can't be sure they will fully or even answer what you have asked.

iOS5 (iPhone4S) - http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/contacts.html
iOS4 (iPhine4) - have you looked in your userguideunder "Unified Contacts"

George

________________________________
From: barbara196141 <barbara196141@yahoo.com>
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 15 November 2011, 16:10
Subject: [apple-iphone] Groups on iPhone

 
Does anyone know how to add a contact to several groups without having to add separate contact information each time they get added to another group? You end having multiple contacts in the file for each person.

If you delete one of the names in the All Contacts file it deletes it from one of the groups.

I would think that you should be able to add a person one time and then point it to as many groups as you want.

HELP!
Barbara

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Another printer question

Posted by: "Mike Rodgers" mikerodgerske5gbc@yahoo.com   mikerodgerske5gbc

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 am (PST)



Are there methods to print from iPhone?I'm mainly interested in email and web material and PDF files.

I'm going to buy a new printer so all options open. Bluetooth sounds nice.
We don't get anything here but dial up
And it's a pain to set tethering to print.
I'd like to find a alternative if there is one. No iPads either, just iPhones.

Thanks
Mike R

Sent from my spy ring

Amateur/Ham Radio KE5GBC
HF & Echolink

8b.

Re: Another printer question

Posted by: "Donald" xlnt74@sbcglobal.net   xlnt74@sbcglobal.net

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:37 pm (PST)



If you are going to buy a printer just make sure it's an AirPrint printer. Then it's just prints from your iPhone via your home WiFi network.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Mike Rodgers <mikerodgerske5gbc@...> wrote:
>
> Are there methods to print from iPhone?I'm mainly interested in email and web material and PDF files.
>
> I'm going to buy a new printer so all options open. Bluetooth sounds nice.
> We don't get anything here but dial up
> And it's a pain to set tethering to print.
> I'd like to find a alternative if there is one. No iPads either, just iPhones.
>
> Thanks
> Mike R
>
> Sent from my spy ring
>
> Amateur/Ham Radio KE5GBCO
> HF & Echolink
>

9a.

Re: ITunes won't stay closed on my computer

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 am (PST)



In Google I typed iTunes won't stay closed as my search. I came up with this link. Hope it helps.

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=63920

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 14, 2011, at 10:25 AM, "carolt62" <caroltapp@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> iTunes loads when I boot my computer. I can shut it down but within a few seconds, it reloads, over and over. This has happened only since I upgraded to the new iTunes iOS and the new iPhone OS. I have an iPhone 3GS.
>
> I don't want iTunes loaded all the time (only when my iPhone is plugged in to my computer) because of the amount of RAM it uses. I've gone through all the menu items and can find nothing to change to stop it. I've also Googled it and can't find anything. Any suggestions?
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

10a.

Re: Incipio

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am (PST)



The Incipio Feather looks really nice. I like that it hold the magnetic portion of the smart cover in place. My no name back cover was $4 and my smart cover falls off sometimes.

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Wyldceltic1 <wyldceltic1@me.com> wrote:

> They make great stuff, I'm fond of their "Silacrylic' line, and for the iPad they have a back cover called the 'Smart Feather' This actually covers the hinge of the smart cover and actually make for a secure fix of the smart cover, protection for the back etc.
>
> iPhone 4 'feathers' are nice looking, but not what I would call 'protective' if you drop your iPhone on the street, ground, tiles etc.
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Allan wrote:
>
> > I just ordered an incipio off grid off of Amazon.
> > I was wondering if anyone else had one of these
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Ask questions,

share experiences

Cat Zone

on Yahoo! Groups

Join a Group

all about cats.

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.