11/24/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8581

Messages In This Digest (13 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Setting up a new Mac

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm (PST)



I just took delivery of my new MacBook Air. I'm trying to set it up, but it insists on talking to me about VO Keys and won't let me proceed past that tutorial. I can't even move past the first screen, the map of the world that lets me chose my area. I can move the curser to the right arrow, but clicking on the trackpad does nothing. How do I activate that arrow and set the computer up so I can migrate data from my old computer? Thanks.
Ken S

1.2.

Re: Setting up a new Mac

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:07 pm (PST)



On 11/23/2011 7:08 PM, Ken wrote:
> I just took delivery of my new MacBook Air. I'm trying to set it up, but it insists on talking to me about VO Keys and won't let me proceed past that tutorial. I can't even move past the first screen, the map of the world that lets me chose my area. I can move the curser to the right arrow, but clicking on the trackpad does nothing. How do I activate that arrow and set the computer up so I can migrate data from my old computer? Thanks.

Very strange. The initial setup prompts to migrate. This is not doing
it for you? Is it Lion, 10.7?

Harry

1.3.

Re: Setting up a new Mac

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:17 pm (PST)



You have to complete the set up before you can do anything with the MBA. I don't know what VO keys are, but if it is the tutorial on the gestures, you have to complete it also. That is new with 10.7.

Try double tapping or tapping with two fingers, and once the set up is complete, then change the trackpad settings to what you wish in System Prefs.

On Nov 23, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Ken wrote:

> I just took delivery of my new MacBook Air. I'm trying to set it up, but it insists on talking to me about VO Keys and won't let me proceed past that tutorial. I can't even move past the first screen, the map of the world that lets me chose my area. I can move the curser to the right arrow, but clicking on the trackpad does nothing. How do I activate that arrow and set the computer up so I can migrate data from my old computer? Thanks.
> Ken S

1.4.

Re: Setting up a new Mac

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 pm (PST)



Well, it didn't work and then it did. I was able to set up migration, but forgot that the old computer was set to turn off at 11PM, and it did without the migration finished. Now, when I tried to start up the migration again to finish it, the new computer went to a "Registration" page. I filled out all the empty boxes, but the one at the top which asks for "My Accout" with a drop down box, but there's nothing in the box to drop down, so here I sit on this page, can't go forward and can't go back. Now what do I do to finish the migration?
PS The original migration said it would take 23 hours. Is that normal for a wireless migration?

> Try double tapping or tapping with two fingers, and once the set up is complete, then change the trackpad settings to what you wish in System Prefs.
>
>
>
> On Nov 23, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Ken wrote:
>
> > I just took delivery of my new MacBook Air. I'm trying to set it up, but it insists on talking to me about VO Keys and won't let me proceed past that tutorial. I can't even move past the first screen, the map of the world that lets me chose my area. I can move the curser to the right arrow, but clicking on the trackpad does nothing. How do I activate that arrow and set the computer up so I can migrate data from my old computer? Thanks.
> > Ken S
>

2.1.

Re: Little Snitch

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 pm (PST)



Little Snitch does take getting used to, but as Harry mentioned, once
set up it is pretty much a no-brainer. Some apps need to phone home and
most do not. The rules can always be changed, and it is simple enough to
do. I've had it for years and new rules come and go. Sometimes it is one
of those "rules" really more of a "permission grant or decline", that
prevents a particular website from working, or apps might be unable to
check for updates automatically. So this is where it might get somewhat
confusing, but when you get your head around it, it is quite logical.You
can google those apps and servers that apps want to connect to, and that
allows you to make an education decision to decide allowance of
connection. The list is not that long, really.

2.2.

Re: Little Snitch

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:34 pm (PST)



Do yourself a favor and have patience with it. If you don't know what is trying to communicate, look it up on the net. I do not like unknown communication between my computer and anything on the web without my ok.

Learn what is trying to snitch/communicate and what is friendly.

But it's your computer and your data. JOhn R

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, mpstupinski@... wrote:
>
> After reading the recent comments about Little Snitch, I decided yesterday to purchase and install it. Ever since it seems as if just about everything I've done that deals with the net has resulted in sequences of dialogues requiring decisions on my part as to what to allow. Unfortunately, I recognize very few of the programs making such communication requests.
>
> I assume that this will eventually sort itself out after I have bumbled through making decisions on everything as to: 1. Whether or not to allow communication. 2. How frequently to allow it (once? until quit? forever?) and 3. What port to allow it on.
>
> I'm wondering if the safest thing for me to do is to just disable it so I don't (or haven't already) set restrictions that negatively affect something I need. I think I'm in over my head on this one.
>
> Advice would be appreciated.
>
> ............Mike
>

2.3.

Re: Little Snitch

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:37 pm (PST)



One other thing, applications try to communicate to verify if you are registered or not. If they can't communicate after installing . . . . but that would be unethical. John R

3a.

Re: Mail suddenly slow

Posted by: "Christopher Collins" maclist@analogdigital.com.au   cjc1959au

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:25 pm (PST)



By default, & design POP is designed to delete the message from the mail server after it is successfully downloaded.

However, that option can be turned off in most mail clients.

cjc

On 24/11/2011, at 12:53 AM, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:

> It's not necessarily true that under POP a message is removed from the
> server when downloaded. Under Mail 3.6, at least, by choosing the
> 'Advanced' tab under account preferences you can select leaving the
> original in the server for up to one month. I use that on my MBP so
> when I'm away and read my mail it will also show up on my desktop
> computer when I get home. (I also set up my MBP account to send
> myself a copy of outgoing mail so it appears on the desktop Mac when I
> get home.)
>
> ..........Mike
>
> On Nov 22, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
> > On Nov 22, 2011, at 2:47 AM, titnaw wrote:
> >
> >> I have thunderbird and seem to miss a lot of messages. I do have
> >> this email on another computer that uses Outlook Express. Do you
> >> think that is what is happening
> >
> > It depends on how the mail is set up. If they are "POP" accounts,
> > then when you download mail on one computer, those messages are no
> > longer on the server, so won't be available when you download mail
> > on the other computer.
> >
> > In Thunderbird's Tools menu, you can choose Account Settings. In
> > Account Settings, find your account on the left and beneath its
> > name, select "Server Settings." In Server Settings, you can use
> > checkboxes to tell it to leave your messages on the server "Until I
> > delete them."
> >
> > That way, mail you get but do not delete on one computer will still
> > be available to be re-downloaded on the other computer.
> >
> > Daly
> >

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Hitachi vs. Toshiba: should I send this hard drive back?

Posted by: "Andrew Buc" andrewbuc@staxman.net   andrewbuc

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:20 pm (PST)



On Nov 22, 2011, at 8:15 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> The hard drive industry has been experiencing consolidation.

So my experience with the Toshiba drive 20-odd years ago probably is
no guide to Toshiba drives today. I've pretty much decided to keep
the drive.

5.

VMware Fusion 4.1.1 drops support for non-server versions of Leopard

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 pm (PST)



If you previously downloaded the VMWare Fusion 4.1.0 upgrade, you would be
able to install and run virtual machines for workstation versions (single
user) of Leopard and Snow Leopard. In the 4.1.1 upgrade you can no longer
run Leopard or Snow Leopard unless they are the server versions. VMware
claims "VMware Fusion 4.1.1 corrects an omission from the Fusion 4.1.0
release that affects running Mac OS X in a virtual machine."
So beware, if you upgrade, you will not be able to run VMs containing
standard Leopard or Snow Leopard, even if they worked fine in 4.1.0

Jon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: AppleĆ¢€™s Black Friday 2011 deals revealed: discounts on iP

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 pm (PST)



Thank you Bill for posting this!

I'm very ready to buy my iPad 2, and have been snooping around different authorized Apple retailers to see if I could get an idea of what might be coming on Friday.

Oddly enough, the EXACT same iPad 2 that Apple currently has for $729 (plus tax) is $729.98 at Walmart!

I wonder if any of the authorized Apple sellers will have the same discounts?

I was hoping to buy through MacMall since I can get a larger shopping rebate from them. Mr.Rebates offers 4% for shopping at MacMall as opposed to just 1% at the Apple Store.

At least there will be a discount price and that's GOOD news!!

neelie

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@...> wrote:
>
> http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/l0pTmAuty2Y/
>
> Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: AppleĆ¢€™s Black Friday
> 2011 deals revealed: discounts on iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook Air,
> MacBook Pro, and accessories via 9to5Mac by Mark Gurman on 11/22/11
>
>
>
> A trusted tipster has provided us with the details on AppleĆ¢€™s Black
> Friday (November 25th) 2011 sale. The sale is very similar to AppleĆ¢€™s
> offerings in past years, but does give better discounts to higher
> capacities of the iPads and iPods. The deals on the Mac end cover the
> iMac, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro, while the iPod nano and iPod touch
> are the discounted iPod offerings. The Macs will be $101 less, the
> iPads will go from $41-$61 discounts depending on capacity (16GB, 32GB,
> 64GB), the iPod nano will shave off $11 for both 8GB and 16GB storage
> sizes, the iPod touch will follow the iPadĆ¢€™s lead of bigger discounts
> for bigger capacities, ranging from $21-$41 discounts.
>
> Apple will also (images after the break) discount accessories. On the
> Apple in-house accessory list is $11 off the iPad 2 Smart Cover (comes
> out to $28 for the polyurethane and $58 for the leather), $11 off ($58
> in total for each) for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless
> Magic Trackpad, $5 off ($45 total) for a $50 iTunes/App
> Store/iBookstore gift card, in addition to discounts on the AirPort
> Extreme, Time Capsule, and AirPort Express. Third-party accessories
> such as Western Digital hard drives, the mophie JuicePack Air, Speck
> CandyShell iPhone 4/4S case, Jawbone Up, a Griffin Universal Remote
> Control system for the iPod touch, the Jawbone Jambox, a Phillips clock
> radio, and more are also on sale. Check out the entire sale with the
> rest of the leaked pamphlet after the break:

7.

MacMall Black Friday Sale underway

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 pm (PST)



Got an email saying that MacMall is starting their Black Friday sales tonight.

The site is jammed I guess, because I can't get on.

8.

Happy thanksgiving

Posted by: "Blaine Gordon" blainegordon@ymail.com   blainegordon@ymail.com

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 am (PST)



Happy thanksgiving to those in the states and good computing for everyone.

Sent from my iPad

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.