11/18/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8569

Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)

1.1.
Re: iDefrag 2 News From: Jim Saklad
1.2.
Re: iDefrag 2 News From: Harry Flaxman
1.3.
Re: iDefrag 2 News From: Jim Saklad
2a.
Re: IPad and kindle fire From: Bekah
2b.
Re: IPad and kindle fire From: Curby Keith
3a.
I'm looking for an MS Word expert From: Keith Whaley
3b.
Re: I'm looking for an MS Word expert From: mkaplan22
4.
Bentley Mulsanne with iPads & MacMini From: Denver Dan

Messages

1.1.

Re: iDefrag 2 News

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:34 pm (PST)



> I think defragging is risky and unnecessary, except in the one circumstance where I think it is MOST risky, on a full drive. If a drive is more than 90% full, you should clear space.

It should be remembered that many drive backup-cloners (e.g., SuperDuper!) typically perform a file-wise backup (as opposed to sector-wise), and therefore do file defragmentation in the process of backing up (at least when starting with a blank slate.

An internal primary drive can be file-defragmented via clone backup, erase, clone reinstall.

> Optimizing is, indeed, different, and can only be evaluated with before and after testing.

This, of course, is NOT accomplished by the clone method.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.2.

Re: iDefrag 2 News

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 pm (PST)



I've done that many times, Jim. There seemed to be a significant increase in speed, at least with disk operations, afterward as well. SuperDuper is the app I use.

Harry

On Nov 17, 2011, at 5:34 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> It should be remembered that many drive backup-cloners (e.g., SuperDuper!) typically perform a file-wise backup (as opposed to sector-wise), and therefore do file defragmentation in the process of backing up (at least when starting with a blank slate.
>
> An internal primary drive can be file-defragmented via clone backup, erase, clone reinstall.
>
>> Optimizing

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.3.

Re: iDefrag 2 News

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 pm (PST)



Since I have owned iDefrag for years, I decided to try a test.

This is using a late-2008 15" Macbook Pro (2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 320 GB, 7200 RPM internal drive), running MacOS 10.7.2

I shut it down, waited a couple of minutes, and timed a cold boot.

93 seconds to the login screen.

I then used SuperDuper! to bring my backup current, and rebooted from the backup drive.
I then ran iDefrag on the internal drive, doing a complete (files and metadata) defrag.

I then rebooted from the internal drive, doing a Safe Boot to clean up any cruft, and to restore the boot caches.

Then shut it down, waited several minutes, and did another timed cold boot.

77 seconds to the login screen – 16 seconds or 17% faster.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: IPad and kindle fire

Posted by: "Bekah" bekah0176@sbcglobal.net   bekalex

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm (PST)



Is there a Kindle Fire with G3 or the equivalent if the person doesn't have regular access to wifi? - my mom

Bekah

On Nov 17, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Curby Keith wrote:

> I have to agree. Different devices, different uses. My 7" Android tablet gets almost as much use as my iPad. My wife liked it enough that she ordered a Fire to use in place of her iPad sometimes.
>
> Curby Keith
> Del City, OK
>
> On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Blaine Gordon <blainegordon@ymail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an iPad and my mother has a kindle fire. I set both Up and act as tech support for her kindle fire. The iPad is much more powerful and user friendly, however the kindle fire automatically retrieved all her books from her old kindle. She can get her email and the browser is quite functional. She has all the apps she needs. I suppose choosing between an iPad and the kindle fire is not so much a matter of price as it is what you plan to do. For me I needed the power and usability of the iPad so I shelled out the extra money. My point is there is no comparison just a choice based on intended use.
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2b.

Re: IPad and kindle fire

Posted by: "Curby Keith" clkeith50@yahoo.com   clkeith50

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:58 pm (PST)



No. It's wifi only.

Curby
Del City, OK

>________________________________
> From: Bekah <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net>
>To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
>Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:29 PM
>Subject: Re: [macsupport] IPad and kindle fire
>
>
> 
>Is there a Kindle Fire with G3 or the equivalent if the person doesn't have regular access to wifi? - my mom
>
>Bekah
>
>On Nov 17, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Curby Keith wrote:
>
>> I have to agree. Different devices, different uses. My 7" Android tablet gets almost as much use as my iPad. My wife liked it enough that she ordered a Fire to use in place of her iPad sometimes.
>>
>> Curby Keith
>> Del City, OK
>>
>> On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Blaine Gordon <blainegordon@ymail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an iPad and my mother has a kindle fire. I set both Up and act as tech support for her kindle fire. The iPad is much more powerful and user friendly, however the kindle fire automatically retrieved all her books from her old kindle. She can get her email and the browser is quite functional. She has all the apps she needs. I suppose choosing between an iPad and the kindle fire is not so much a matter of price as it is what you plan to do. For me I needed the power and usability of the iPad so I shelled out the extra money. My point is there is no comparison just a choice based on intended use.
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

I'm looking for an MS Word expert

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm (PST)



I have a simple problem, but not a CLUE as to how to solve it.

It involves a long accrued (5 years!) gathering of data onto 8.5x11
sized pages, each with a jpeg image inserted, into what amounts to 400
pages for the 'book', and we want to reduce the size of each sheet to
approximately 6X9" for the final copy and eventually bind them.

The Word version used for original compiling is 2008 for the Mac.

OS is OSX 10.6.8.

Any redirection will be greatly appreciated.

keith whaley

3b.

Re: I'm looking for an MS Word expert

Posted by: "mkaplan22" view@att.net   mkaplan22

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 pm (PST)



Open the document(s) using your Word application. Under File, click on Page Setup. In the dialog box, use Scale to size the page at whatever reduction will fit on your 6" x 9" page. You can use trial and error to print the page and see what happens.

4.

Bentley Mulsanne with iPads & MacMini

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm (PST)



Howdy.

Have a spare $350,000 USD and milord needs a new Bentley for
Christmas?

Bentley taps Apple for connected Mulsanne concept

<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31166_7-57326952-271/bentley-taps-apple-for-connected-mulsanne-concept/?tag=mncol>

This Bentley comes with a MacMini and 4G router in the trunk and iPads
for back seat riders. The iPads connect to the MacMini for viewing
media and cruising the web.

Denver Dan

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.