11/29/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8590

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

1a.
Re: updating app on iTunes From: Denver Dan
1b.
Re: updating app on iTunes From: Metaksa Tanya
1c.
Re: updating app on iTunes From: N.A. Nada
2a.
Re: Headphones for Skype From: Hans Rijnbout
3a.
Re: Firewire Adaptor From: Hans Rijnbout
3b.
Re: Firewire Adaptor From: Randy B. Singer
4a.
Re: Optical Drive not accepting DVD/CD From: Donna Ellis
4b.
Re: Optical Drive not accepting DVD/CD From: Doug Yelmen
5.
rubber stamping software From: Donna Ellis
6a.
Re: Text Edit Question From: Larson
7.
Apple Stock Widget for Lion ? From: Jay Abraham

Messages

1a.

Re: updating app on iTunes

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 pm (PST)



Howdy.

When you attempt to update the apps in the iTunes program on your
Macintosh is your iPhone connect to your Macintosh?

Denver dan

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:57:51 -0800, Metaksa Tanya wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I own approximately 60 apps for my iPhone.
> Many of them are on my phone. As of right now 30 of them have
> updates.
> My iTunes is updated. I am using Lion, the latest version.
> I want to update my apps on my MacBookPro. There used to be a button
> on the lower right screen of the apps menu in iTunes that allowed you
> to update the apps.
> Now it does not appear on my screen.
>
> I can update these apps on my phone, but wanted to update them on my
> computer and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.
>
> I would like to keep my MacBookPro updated, but the only way I can do
> that is to update my iPhone and then sync.
> Does this help?
>
> Tanya

1b.

Re: updating app on iTunes

Posted by: "Metaksa Tanya" tanya.metaksa@gmail.com   tmetaksa@att.net

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm (PST)



No. but I sent an emial that I had found my problem a short while ago.
Thanks for the help.
Tanya
On Nov 28, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> When you attempt to update the apps in the iTunes program on your
> Macintosh is your iPhone connect to your Macintosh?
>
> Denver dan
>
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:57:51 -0800, Metaksa Tanya wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. I own approximately 60 apps for my iPhone.
> > Many of them are on my phone. As of right now 30 of them have
> > updates.
> > My iTunes is updated. I am using Lion, the latest version.
> > I want to update my apps on my MacBookPro. There used to be a button
> > on the lower right screen of the apps menu in iTunes that allowed you
> > to update the apps.
> > Now it does not appear on my screen.
> >
> > I can update these apps on my phone, but wanted to update them on my
> > computer and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.
> >
> > I would like to keep my MacBookPro updated, but the only way I can do
> > that is to update my iPhone and then sync.
> > Does this help?
> >
> > Tanya
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: updating app on iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 pm (PST)



Tanya,

If you have updated the iOS apps on your iDevice, you do not need to update them in iTunes on your Mac. Just sync the iDevice to the Mac.

You don't have to update them on both devices. The iOS apps don't do anything on the Mac.

Brent

On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:58 AM, Metaksa Tanya wrote:

> I found the problem. The window for iTunes was too big. The button was covered by my Dock. So, if anyone is using iTunes to update apps, make sure the lower part of the iTunes window is visible. Thanks to all who tried to help.
>
> Tanya
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Tanya Metaksa wrote:
>
> > I tried all possible ID's (unfortunately, I have 3) and none worked. But the number next to the apps stayed at 30.
> > Tanya
> > On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> >
> >> On 11/28/2011 1:57 PM, Metaksa Tanya wrote:
> >>> Thanks for your reply. I own approximately 60 apps for my iPhone. Many of them are on my phone. As of right now 30 of them have updates.
> >>> My iTunes is updated. I am using Lion, the latest version.
> >>> I want to update my apps on my MacBookPro. There used to be a button on the lower right screen of the apps menu in iTunes that allowed you to update the apps.
> >>> Now it does not appear on my screen.
> >>>
> >>> I can update these apps on my phone, but wanted to update them on my computer and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.
> >>>
> >>> I would like to keep my MacBookPro updated, but the only way I can do that is to update my iPhone and then sync.
> >>> Does this help?
> >>
> >> Ensure that your iTunes is signed in with the Apple ID that you
> >> purchased the apps under. That's one obvious thing that may be wrong.
> >>
> >> Harry
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>

2a.

Re: Headphones for Skype

Posted by: "Hans Rijnbout" jrijnb@xs4all.nl   hans_rijnbout

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:53 pm (PST)




Op 28 nov. 2011, om 18:58 heeft Joan B Sax Ph.D. het volgende geschreven:

> Any recommendations for good headphones (USB attached) for using with Skype.
> Also, I would like to know how to quickly switch from the microphone back to the built-in microphones on my Mac.

I'm happy with the "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000". Excellent sound quality. At least one thing they seem to have gotten right.
The Skype application remembers the chosen sound setting, so I don't have to switch it myself every time.
--
Hans Rijnbout
Utrecht, Netherlands

3a.

Re: Firewire Adaptor

Posted by: "Hans Rijnbout" jrijnb@xs4all.nl   hans_rijnbout

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 pm (PST)




Op 28 nov. 2011, om 20:31 heeft redpup99 het volgende geschreven:

> I attempted to attach the iSight external camera to the MacBook Pro, and find
> that the Firewire outlet on the MacBook is much smaller than the plug on
> the external camera's cable.

The new MBPro has Firewire 800. Several FW 800/400 cables and adapters are available from the Apple Store.
--
Hans Rijnbout
Utrecht, Netherlands

3b.

Re: Firewire Adaptor

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm (PST)




On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:31 AM, redpup99 wrote:

> Is there some adapter that I can purchase to allow the older Isight
> external
> to be connected to the Macbook Pro?

Use this adapter to attach your iSight to your MBP:

9-pin to 6-pin bilingual FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 adapter
$6 which includes shipping
http://www.amazon.com/FireWire-800-9-6-Adapter-Black/dp/B002Y2NP04

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

4a.

Re: Optical Drive not accepting DVD/CD

Posted by: "Donna Ellis" dellis70@tampabay.rr.com   dellis551

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 pm (PST)



Thanks, Dan and Barry.
In addition to your suggestions, they had me shut down, unplug all
power source for 90 seconds and power back up.
Hold the eject button for 15 seconds.
Power down, start up with the Option key depressed. Then hold the
eject button for 15 seconds.

The CDs/DVDs only go in half way.

The eject mechanism obviously has gotten stuck or has broken. They
are overnighting a new optical drive part, and a tech is coming here
to correct it. While the tech is here, if any issues result, the Sr.
Tech requested that I phone his direct number.

This was the best support I've ever had from their AC Reps.
Thanks for your help, always.
Donna

4b.

Re: Optical Drive not accepting DVD/CD

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 pm (PST)



Donna, DD,
my mid-10 27" iMac's optical drive went bad, and apple sent a guy out to the apt. to replace it.
i have Apple Care, fortunately.

doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

‎"I salute the light within your eyes where the whole universe dwells, for when you are at that center within you and I am at that place within me, we shall be one." ~ Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux Chief, Warrior and American legend...

On Nov 28, 2011, at 8:01 AM, Denver dan wrote:

> I've seen many slot loading CD/DVD drives in Mac laptops and iMacs go bad.
>
> If you have Apple Care, bit the distance bullet and use it. Try calling first and explain the distance issue. They might come up with something easier.
>
> BTW, knock on wood, the tray loading DVD in my tower has burned well over 1.000 DVDs. I added a BluRay burner to the 2nd optical bay and the first 2 brand new units (Pioneer model) were defective. 3rd unit is an LG brand and does fine. Fortunately I bought from OWC which has good tech support and honors their warranties. OWC was very good.
>
>
> !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
> iFrom Denver Dan's iPhone
>
> — my magical animal is a butterfly
>
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Donna Ellis <dellis70@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have not found this issue addressed in the Apple Forum.
>>
>> 27" iMac, X.6.8, has always accepted CDs & DVDs and played them fine.
>> Today, I copied a CD into iTunes, without incident. Then I tried to
>> insert another CD to copy in iTunes, but the drive slot won't let the
>> CD go in - it only goes in about 1/2 way and hits a block of some
>> sort. I've tried different CDs and DVDs but it's the same story.
>>
>> I restarted in case something was hung up. I've hit the eject button
>> on the key board just in case something was amiss there. But it is
>> still blocked.
>>
>> Should I phone Apple Care? The nearest Apple Store is a 90 minute
>> drive, and I hate being without a computer for 3 days while they
>> replace the drive. I'm hopeful someone at AC could order the part so
>> it is in when we drive down.
>>
>> Is there something else I should look at doing before contacting AC?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Donna
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

rubber stamping software

Posted by: "Donna Ellis" dellis70@tampabay.rr.com   dellis551

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:20 pm (PST)



Does anyone here use DIGI stamps from their Mac (not a separate
electronic cutter)? If so, which software do you use?

Thanks in advance,
Donna

6a.

Re: Text Edit Question

Posted by: "Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:25 pm (PST)




On 28.11.2011, at 05:20, HAL9000 wrote:

> Quit text Edit
> User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.textedit (there are two)
> Copied to desktop
> Trashed com.apple.textedit (there are two)
> Restarted Textedit
> Opened the document.
> 1922 is no longer being hi-lighted�

This was a productive misunderstanding! I was talking about deleting the *Dictionary* preference file, not TextEdit pref file. But if the problem has been resolved it�s good. :-)

>
> But the curious thing is that all of the "learn" corrections I had
> taught textedit originally were retained in the new preferences.

The spell checking is a system wide feature and has nothing to do with TextEdit directly. I think that is what Denver Dan pointed out.

> Where are "learned" text kept if not the preference file?

It is in the spell checking pref file, NOT in TextEdit pref file. These are two different things, if I understand this correctly.

Users/your account/Library/Spelling

Anna

7.

Apple Stock Widget for Lion ?

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 pm (PST)



Hi,

Does anyone use the Apple Stock widget for Lion? I have a question as it isn't working correctly for me and wanted to know if this is a problem associated with some others I'm having from a Lion migration or if this is a new normal behavior.

The widget has a limit of 25 stocks but in previous OS versions you could put multiple copies of the widget on the dashboard and put in more than 25. I used to have 3-4 open tracking around a 100 stocks.

In the Lion version, I can put multiple copies out when I open up Dashboard and edit them so I have the full stock listing that I want to track. However when I log out and come back all the copies I put and customized are gone. There are still 4 open widgets for stocks but they all have the same 25 stocks that were on the first one.

I tried this on another computer running Lion and the same issue occurs but both computers are having problems with permissions and savings since I migrated from older versions.

Please let me know if you have also seen this problem.

Thanks,

Jay

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.