11/18/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2788

Messages In This Digest (21 Messages)

1.
Apple experimenting with inflatable shock mounts to drop-proof cover From: Bill Boulware
2a.
Erasing info from iPhone3 From: Lynda Welchel
2b.
Re: Erasing info from iPhone3 From: Brent
2c.
Re: Erasing info from iPhone3 From: bj
3.
Password issue with Caldav calendars from yahoo From: Brad - Trish
4a.
Re: iPhone 4s question regarding storage From: bj
4b.
Re: iPhone 4s question regarding storage From: DavidG
5a.
Siri Easter Eggs From: Ron Little
5b.
Re: Siri Easter Eggs From: mdoyle13
6a.
Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids From: whiterabbit32@gmail.com
6b.
Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids From: jparkerg@yahoo.com
6c.
Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids From: Richard Raiff
7a.
Re: (unknown) From: whiterabbit32@gmail.com
8.
Help me please From: Hope, Chula
9.
Copy From: Hope, Chula
10a.
Re: Jawbone not working on 4S From: Jim Harry
11a.
Re: IOS5 and old email From: Andrew Wood
12a.
Re: address book sync From: Cochi
12b.
Re: address book sync From: Jay Abraham
13.
AirPrint From: listserves-1@rochester.rr.com
14.
MobileMe problem and other questions From: listserves-1@rochester.rr.com

Messages

1.

Apple experimenting with inflatable shock mounts to drop-proof cover

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 am (PST)



http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/IsYaVWK8iss/

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Apple experimenting
with inflatable shock mounts to drop-proof cover glass via 9to5Mac by
Jordan Kahn on 11/17/11



In January we told you about a class action lawsuit filed by a Los
Angeles man who describes the iPhone 4′s glass back panel as a "design
flaw" and claims Apple "refuses to warn consumers" about its
susceptibility to cracked glass under normal usage . We already know
the iPhone 4S hasn't made many improvements in terms of the durability
of its glass casing, but a new patent application shows exactly what
Apple has been working on to better implement a drop-resistant all
glass design.

Our friends over at PatentlyApple detail the patent which describes
different embodiments of including a shock mount made of polymer, foam,
gel, or similar material in a future iPhone or iPad's cover glass (as
usual Apple also mentions the majority of their other products
including iMacs, MacBooks, iPods, displays, and televisions). In one
solution, Apple describes a "mechanically actuated retractable", which
would essnetially allow the cover glass to withdraw "at least partially
into the housing in response to sensing the drop event, thereby
protecting for the cover glass." The report explains:


"…a consumer electronic device could include a cover glass, and a shock
mount disposed between the cover glass and a remaining mass of the
electronic device. The shock mount is configured to isolate the cover
glass from the remaining mass of the electronic device…Apple states
that another advantage to their invention is that electronics disposed
within a housing of a device could be protected from water damage by
using a water seal."



In one imagining of the solution, Apple envisions a 'tunable shock
mount' that would provide "compression and dampening" in response to an
impact to further increase its effectiveness. The report also details
an airbag-like tunable shock mount that could use a "liquid based micro
inflatable bladder". PatentlyApple explains:

Apple's patent FIG. 5 shows a housing and a cover glass in cross
sectional view having a tunable shock mount 505 disposed there between.
The tunable shock mount could comprise of an inflatable bladder 506
filled with a fluid 507. Tuning could be done in various ways such as
by selection of materials for the bladder and fluid, and by varying an
amount of inflation.

Additionally, Apple described methods of chemically strengthening the
glass itself using materials other than or in addition alumino silicate
glass, a.k.a Gorilla Glass. Some of these methods could include
chemical treatments such as making glass thermal shock resistant with
the use of borosilicate glass and sodalime.

Another Apple patent that has surfaced today can just as easily be
imagined in a near-future implementation, describing a universal
adapter that would essentially allow you to charge all your devices
through a single plug in a traditional receptacle. The tech would
include converters to match the voltage requirements of your specific
devices, and could also include MagSafe integration. Hit up
PatentlyApple for the full details.





Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to 9to5Mac using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Erasing info from iPhone3

Posted by: "Lynda Welchel" TXSun@satx.rr.com   lcrwelchel

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:49 am (PST)



How do you erase all personal info and return iPhone to factory settings so phone can be reused by someone?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Lynda C. Welchel

2b.

Re: Erasing info from iPhone3

Posted by: "Brent" flapdoodle@gmail.com   flapdoodle44

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 am (PST)



Settings> General> Reset> Erase all Content and Settings

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Lynda Welchel <TXSun@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> How do you erase all personal info and return iPhone to factory settings
> so phone can be reused by someone?
> Thanks.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Lynda C. Welchel
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: Erasing info from iPhone3

Posted by: "bj" bjones44@verizon.net   jblair44

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 am (PST)



Or hook up to iTunes and choose Restore to original settings.
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:50 AM
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Erasing info from iPhone3

Settings> General> Reset> Erase all Content and Settings

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Lynda Welchel <TXSun@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> How do you erase all personal info and return iPhone to factory settings
> so phone can be reused by someone?

3.

Password issue with Caldav calendars from yahoo

Posted by: "Brad - Trish" bradluvmc@yahoo.com   bradluvmc

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 am (PST)



Since the iOS 5.0 update, my calendar that I have on my iPhone 4 from yahoo and added through Caldav settings in the iphone has been acting up.

I have the calendar in my iPhone and also in my girlfriends iPhone so we can share a joint calendar for symplicity of one entry for 2 phones.

Since the update of 5.0 it says my password is incorrect. I have not changed the password. The password works when I sign into the email online and also in the calendar that corresponds.

I have restarted the phone and also have deleted the Caldav account from the phone and have re-added it and it still gives the pop up for the password.

My girlfriend is experiencing the same issue on her iPhone 4.

I know that with yahoo email now you can select for the calendar, but it won't pull the calendar entries over without the caldav account added.

Any suggestions would be appreciate!

Thanks!
Brad

4a.

Re: iPhone 4s question regarding storage

Posted by: "bj" bjones44@verizon.net   jblair44

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 am (PST)



I have (but haven't used) JotNot so I don't know about it -- you could email
the developer with your specific questions. The screen shot on the app page
showing a document appears to have a trash can at the bottom. If the photo
is also in your camera roll you'd need to delete that as well.

I have used Scanner Pro to photo/scan/email docs; the app will save the docs
but also has an edit button so you can delete them if you want.

I used it at least once to scan a signed doc to someone -- just in case I
lost the paper-copy before I could mail it -- which turned out not to be
necessary (but with some institutions you just don't know) -- and the
quality seemed to be acceptable (looked a little fuzzy to me, whether that
was the app or the photo it worked from I don't remember.)
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Leek
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:05 AM
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [apple-iphone] iPhone 4s question regarding storage

I am thinking of purchasing a 4s in order to use the JotNot scanner app for
research purposes during trips to the library.

My question is, once I scan and send an image by email to my home computer,
does the scanned image remain on the phone? I'm trying to determine just how
much storage I will need for the iphone.

4b.

Re: iPhone 4s question regarding storage

Posted by: "DavidG" dmgraham98@yahoo.com   dmgraham98

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:05 pm (PST)



The App use's your camera, so you can delete each scan as you go. Instead of email, try Box.net, Google Doc and Others to send you files.

dmg

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Leek" <mleek@...> wrote:
>
> I am thinking of purchasing a 4s in order to use the JotNot scanner app for research purposes during trips to the library.
>
> My question is, once I scan and send an image by email to my home computer, does the scanned image remain on the phone? I'm trying to determine just how much storage I will need for the iphone.
>
> My thanks for any advice or suggestions. I so enjoy reading through the posts on this list and thank all of you who contribute to the group. I learn so much from your experience with the iPhone.
>
> Mary
>

5a.

Siri Easter Eggs

Posted by: "Ron Little" Ron@91710.com   ron_little2003

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm (PST)



Anyone found any funny comments or "Easter eggs" from Siri? I had Siri make and delete several alarms and at the end "she" said "Now we can get some sleep."

My guess is there are funny comments built in all over the place.

Ron

5b.

Re: Siri Easter Eggs

Posted by: "mdoyle13" mickeydoyle13@gmail.com   mdoyle13

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 pm (PST)



Wondering if I needed a jacket, I asked for the temperature one night last week before leaving home. She told me it didn't matter what it is inside because it's always room temperature. Then said she was kidding and told me the outside temp.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Little" <Ron@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone found any funny comments or "Easter eggs" from Siri? I had Siri make and delete several alarms and at the end "she" said "Now we can get some sleep."
>
> My guess is there are funny comments built in all over the place.
>
> Ron
>

6a.

Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids

Posted by: "whiterabbit32@gmail.com" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:14 pm (PST)



That's a great question. Maybe Google for reveiws?

Alice

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Nov 17, 2011, at 6:16 AM, jparkerg@yahoo.com wrote:

> Is anyone using BTE Bluetooth compatible hearing aids with your iPhone?
> I'm about due to upgrade my hearings aids and would like to know others' experiences with Bluetooth (wireless) BTE aids and the iPhone.
> I'd like to be able to not only answer calls, but hear music as well.
> I have an iPhone4.
>
> John
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids

Posted by: "jparkerg@yahoo.com" jparkerg@yahoo.com   jparkerg

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:04 pm (PST)



Thanks, Richard

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Richard Raiff <richraiff@...> wrote:
>
> I use Oticon hearing aids. They have a device called a streamer that is an
> addon. With it you can connect the hearing aids to most Bluetooth devises.
> I can receive calls and listen to audio, music and books directly through
> the hearing aids. The streamer has a microphone so you can answer calls as
> long as the iPhone is within Bluetooth range. Same for the audio. Get more
> details by Googling Oticon.
>
> On Thursday, November 17, 2011, <jparkerg@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Is anyone using BTE Bluetooth compatible hearing aids with your iPhone?
> > I'm about due to upgrade my hearings aids and would like to know others'
> experiences with Bluetooth (wireless) BTE aids and the iPhone.
> > I'd like to be able to not only answer calls, but hear music as well.
> > I have an iPhone4.
> >
> > John
>

6c.

Re: iPhone compatible/Bluetooth hearings aids

Posted by: "Richard Raiff" richraiff@gmail.com   raiffrj

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 pm (PST)



Forgot to say that the streamer is small, about 1x4x.5 inches, and you wear
it around your neck. I keep it under my shirt so no one really knows that I
am wearing it. It controls volume and background noise as well as bluetooth
coupling.

*Rich Raiff*

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM, <jparkerg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Thanks, Richard
>
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Richard Raiff <richraiff@...> wrote:
> >
> > I use Oticon hearing aids. They have a device called a streamer that is
> an
> > addon. With it you can connect the hearing aids to most Bluetooth
> devises.
> > I can receive calls and listen to audio, music and books directly through
> > the hearing aids. The streamer has a microphone so you can answer calls
> as
> > long as the iPhone is within Bluetooth range. Same for the audio. Get
> more
> > details by Googling Oticon.
> >
> > On Thursday, November 17, 2011, <jparkerg@...> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Is anyone using BTE Bluetooth compatible hearing aids with your iPhone?
> > > I'm about due to upgrade my hearings aids and would like to know
> others'
> > experiences with Bluetooth (wireless) BTE aids and the iPhone.
> > > I'd like to be able to not only answer calls, but hear music as well.
> > > I have an iPhone4.
> > >
> > > John
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7a.

Re: (unknown)

Posted by: "whiterabbit32@gmail.com" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:21 pm (PST)



Sorry about that. I think it was me :-(
Question: I have all my yahoo groups come to my email in individual emails. Is there a way to get yahoo to send all messages needing approval in full? Quite a few say "email attached'" or similar message w/o the email. I have to go to the websites more than I think necessary when getting all messages by email. Thanks :-)

Alice

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Nov 17, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Brent <flapdoodle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone is approving spam without looking at it. Please done click on the
> link.
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Chanwit K <i_chanwit@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> http://www.demodaenperu.com/makeupland/wp-content/plugins/hotmail.html
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

8.

Help me please

Posted by: "Hope, Chula" ruhope@yahoo.com   ruhope

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm (PST)



How do I post from you tube to my Facebook? I was doing it a few day ago and now I can't . The options were e-mail , tweeter or Facebook and now it's only tweeter and e-mail . Can anyone tell me how to fix this please.

9.

Copy

Posted by: "Hope, Chula" ruhope@yahoo.com   ruhope

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm (PST)



Sorry one more thing why can't I copy any thing off of a post I get . I mean if I want to repost it . Can't copy any status from any of my friends. Why?????
Help me please what I'm I doing wrong?

10a.

Re: Jawbone not working on 4S

Posted by: "Jim Harry" jim.harry@harryfamily.com   jnharry

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm (PST)



On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM, K.Cruce, Sr. <kcruce@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have a Jawbone ear piece that I have been using on my iPhone 4,
> but now I have an iPhone 4S and it does not recognize the Jawbone.

Try resetting it:
* Press and hold down the Talk Button on the Jawbone.
* Connect the Jawbone to the USB charger cable.
Make sure the cable is plugged into an AC adapter or active computer port.
* Release the Talk Button. (If the reset is successful, the LED should glow red
* Disconnect the Jawbone

Jim H.

11a.

Re: IOS5 and old email

Posted by: "Andrew Wood" andrew1wood@me.com   matchers

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 pm (PST)



If you email provider uses pop 3 protocol it will always do this.

Sent from my iPhone

On 17/11/2011, at 10:16 PM, sbailey131 <susanbailey@cox.net> wrote:

> When I updated to 5 on my GS3, it regurgitated ~1800 old emails, which I had to delete one at a time. Now that my 4S is here and loaded, those emails are back. I've searched the manual and this group w/o success: Is there another way to delete those pesky things en masse?
>
> TIA,
> Susan Bailey
> Oakton, VA
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

12a.

Re: address book sync

Posted by: "Cochi" cochiho3@gmail.com   chihoco

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm (PST)



Hi Jay,

I never used mobile me but I did update my Mac to to iCloud but i change the settings (in iTunes) to sync to my Mac whenever I plug in my iPhone.

Rey

On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:

> Were you set up for wireless syncing before iOS5 through MobileMe? Did you change to iCloud as part of the upgrade to iOS5?
>
> If so did you update to your Mac to sync through iCloud as well?
>
> I updated to iOS5 on my phone but didn't go to iCloud - my sync still works properly.
>
> Jay
>
> On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:38 PM, Cochi wrote:
>
> > Before I upgraded to iOS5, whenever I input anything in the address book on my iPhone, it updates the one on my Mac when I sync. After IOS5, whenever I add or correct an entry on my phone, it doesn't reflect on my Mac anymore.
> >
> > How do I correct this? I don't want to input on my phone then input again on my Mac. It defeats the purpose of syncing.
> >
> > Rey
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

12b.

Re: address book sync

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm (PST)



Hi Rey,

Look at the phone when syncing to iTunes. If the iTunes still says address book is syncing via iTunes then you may have some corrupted sync data. Pick whichever one you want to be the master and have that overwrite the other as opposed to syncing.

Once you do that once the sync should work..

Mobile Reply

On Nov 17, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Cochi <cochiho3@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> I never used mobile me but I did update my Mac to to iCloud but i change the settings (in iTunes) to sync to my Mac whenever I plug in my iPhone.
>
> Rey
>
> On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>
> > Were you set up for wireless syncing before iOS5 through MobileMe? Did you change to iCloud as part of the upgrade to iOS5?
> >
> > If so did you update to your Mac to sync through iCloud as well?
> >
> > I updated to iOS5 on my phone but didn't go to iCloud - my sync still works properly.
> >
> > Jay
> >
> > On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:38 PM, Cochi wrote:
> >
> > > Before I upgraded to iOS5, whenever I input anything in the address book on my iPhone, it updates the one on my Mac when I sync. After IOS5, whenever I add or correct an entry on my phone, it doesn't reflect on my Mac anymore.
> > >
> > > How do I correct this? I don't want to input on my phone then input again on my Mac. It defeats the purpose of syncing.
> > >
> > > Rey
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

13.

AirPrint

Posted by: "listserves-1@rochester.rr.com" listserves-1@rochester.rr.com   itasara

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:22 pm (PST)



I thought the idea of AirPrint was so you could print even if you were not home by maybe logging into your wifi router. However, I have yet to figure it out yet. When ever I try new stuff like this, something always gets screwed up.

Ellen

14.

MobileMe problem and other questions

Posted by: "listserves-1@rochester.rr.com" listserves-1@rochester.rr.com   itasara

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm (PST)



I upgraded to iCloud, and although I can say it works, it has also caused some problems I don't understand. For example, I thought I read we could have iCloud and mobile me both until June, but when I converted to ICLOUD lost my MobileMe account except for my email address after converting. Also the MobileMe (Idisc) still backsup regularly, and I'm afraid to disable it until apple disables it. That is the advice an apple rep told me, but I"m not sure why or that anyone knows why yet since everything is still new and in the making. Meanwhile on my iPhone I have two MobileMe mail accounts. Both are exactly the same. I cannot delete either one of them... no way to do that. My computer only has one mobile me mail account. I think my iPad just has one, but I'd have to recheck that
I'm also confused about when I sync my phone or my iPad. I have the choice to sync to the cloud or sync to the computer. Why can't I just do both? Or do I have to sync to the cloud and then resync to the computer. . Now you might ask
Why would I want that... I supposed I can say I am not sure, except that I don't want all my music or my pictures or whatnot on the cloud totally. I guess at this point I don't trust the cloud. After I upgraded to LION and then to the cloud I had to totally redo my iPhone, had to erase EVERYTHING (and lost some items I could not retrieve on syncs) and then I had to totally erase and reset my time capsule, because it just wasn't working and there was no other fix according to applecare. It's a good thing I saved previous data on Snow Leopard to an external backup or I would have lost an awful lot. Also as I may have mentioned some sights do not recognize LION. I had to use my backup drive to download sheet music I purchased as the download option was unavailable to Lion. So if I cannot trust my time capsule which was supposedly very trustful, how do I trust someone else's server up in the clouds somewhere?

Ellen

ps still haven't totally worked out my apple mail app problems. I was able to finally get this posting on the web but it has not translated to mail.app. I hope it will straighten out if it is just a delay thing. It had to do with my changing my mail address because I was getting spam, but it also erased my ability to get any group mail from yahoo. Now I got this digest on the webmail sight, but nothing yet in my mail.app folder. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Share experiences

with owners like you

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.