11/29/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2805

Messages In This Digest (15 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "Wyldceltic1" wyldceltic1@me.com   wyldceltic1

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:15 pm (PST)



And yet, Wallet/clutch cases are in fact growing popular, and are asked for by customers.

I have had NO ISSUE at all with puttling mine (DNA CASE and all) into the Michael Kors clutch.

On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:39 AM, Bruce Carter wrote:

> > C. Profile and function (Do you want a clip option? A place for credit cards/business cards etc)
>
> NO! The iPhone, along with other cell phones, are notorious for erasing the magnetic strip on credit cards. Don't get your credit cards anywhere near your phone!
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "DavidG" dmgraham98@yahoo.com   dmgraham98

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:07 pm (PST)



The iPhone 4 & 4S have a harden backs and fronts to reduce minor damage. Very few cases will protect a iPhone from a three foot fall (25g's). So pick a case rated for > 25g's. It is more than likely going to add bulk and weight.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, hugpug@... wrote:
>
> Is there one that is better than the others? I know this really is a
> personal preference thing but is there one that is more popular than others for
> most people? Thanks
>
> Carol
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

1c.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "inphasefive" skirbyiphone@gmail.com   inphasefive

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:23 pm (PST)



I have a Lifeproof case but it is still in the box because I love my Third Rail case too much to switch! It works really well, I never plug in my iPhone, so it is with me, untethered by a cord, day and night. I just plug in my Third Rail battery when it is not busy charging up my iPhone. I have two of their batteries and the system works great. http://www.thirdrailmobility.com/ . I'm pretty sure I learned about them on this list.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Wyldceltic1 <wyldceltic1@...> wrote:
>
> And yet, Wallet/clutch cases are in fact growing popular, and are asked for by customers.
>
> I have had NO ISSUE at all with puttling mine (DNA CASE and all) into the Michael Kors clutch.
>
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:39 AM, Bruce Carter wrote:
>
> > > C. Profile and function (Do you want a clip option? A place for credit cards/business cards etc)
> >
> > NO! The iPhone, along with other cell phones, are notorious for erasing the magnetic strip on credit cards. Don't get your credit cards anywhere near your phone!

1d.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "Wyldceltic1" wyldceltic1@me.com   wyldceltic1

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:36 pm (PST)



Now that's pretty dang decent!

It calls for a trip to Tar-shay or Best buy to check it out.

Even if *I* do not buy it, I can tell my customers about it. SHA-WEET!

On Nov 28, 2011, at 2:13 PM, inphasefive wrote:

> I have a Lifeproof case but it is still in the box because I love my Third Rail case too much to switch! It works really well, I never plug in my iPhone, so it is with me, untethered by a cord, day and night. I just plug in my Third Rail battery when it is not busy charging up my iPhone. I have two of their batteries and the system works great. http://www.thirdrailmobility.com/ . I'm pretty sure I learned about them on this list.
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Wyldceltic1 <wyldceltic1@...> wrote:

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1e.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "Prokic Roger" rprokic@me.com   rprokic

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:47 pm (PST)



Yes that is cool. But gonna stick with my LifeProof to ensure I never get it wet and fry it.

I also carry a ZAGG external battery pack with me in case I run low on juice.

Roger

On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Wyldceltic1 wrote:

> Now that's pretty dang decent!
>
> It calls for a trip to Tar-shay or Best buy to check it out.
>
> Even if *I* do not buy it, I can tell my customers about it. SHA-WEET!
>
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 2:13 PM, inphasefive wrote:
>
>> I have a Lifeproof case but it is still in the box because I love my Third Rail case too much to switch! It works really well, I never plug in my iPhone, so it is with me, untethered by a cord, day and night. I just plug in my Third Rail battery when it is not busy charging up my iPhone. I have two of their batteries and the system works great. http://www.thirdrailmobility.com/ . I'm pretty sure I learned about them on this list.
>>
>> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Wyldceltic1 <wyldceltic1@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

1f.

Re: Cases for the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "Diane Mettam" dmettam@yahoo.com   dmettam

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:16 pm (PST)



I had a Mophie Juice Pack on my iPhone 3GS and loved it. It added a little more bulk, but rounded the shape a bit so it made it easier for me to hold. It also added battery life to the phone. I just got my 4S, and I bought an OtterBox Commuter at the AT&T store. It is fairly small, and comes with a screen cover. It isn't too bulky, an seems to work quite well, but it doesn't add any battery life. We'll see how it goes. My daughter seems to like the OtterBox.

I have to give a testimonial on the Mophie - I accidentally ran over my 3GS with my 200 pound power wheelchair, and my phone still worked! No cracks, no chips, nothing. You can't get much better than that!!

2a.

Re: Touch Response

Posted by: "claddidle" BuffaloMT@roadrunner.com   claddidle

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:54 pm (PST)



Thanks, can you tell me how to do a hard reset? Thanks
Judy

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Tara Payne <hijump1@...> wrote:
>
> When I have that issue, I do a hard reset and it usually takes care of the problem.
>
> Tara

2b.

Re: Touch Response

Posted by: "Tara Payne" hijump1@yahoo.com   tmayner

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:50 pm (PST)



Push and hold the home button and the sleep button on the top right until the apple shows up on the screen, approximately 5 seconds.

Tara

On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:41 PM, "claddidle" <BuffaloMT@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Thanks, can you tell me how to do a hard reset? Thanks
> Judy
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Tara Payne <hijump1@...> wrote:
>>
>> When I have that issue, I do a hard reset and it usually takes care of the problem.

2c.

Re: Touch Response

Posted by: "claddidle" BuffaloMT@roadrunner.com   claddidle

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm (PST)



Okay, thank you!
Judy

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Tara Payne <hijump1@...> wrote:
>
> Push and hold the home button and the sleep button on the top right until the apple shows up on the screen, approximately 5 seconds.
>
> Tara
>
>
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:41 PM, "claddidle" <BuffaloMT@...> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, can you tell me how to do a hard reset? Thanks
> > Judy
> >
> > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Tara Payne <hijump1@> wrote:
> >>
> >> When I have that issue, I do a hard reset and it usually takes care of the problem.
>

2d.

Re: Touch Response

Posted by: "Patrick - PDA Repair" iphonerepairtech@yahoo.com   pwrigg

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:06 pm (PST)



Not sure if this applies to the iPhones but if you bought all the black ones at the same time it could have been a bad batch of digitizers from the manufacturer. Just one theory.

My other thought could be, are your hands really cold when having issues? I have heard with other touch screen devices that if a person is out in the cold and thier hands get really cold the device doesnt recognize touch gestures as well.

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Wood
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Re: Touch Response

I at times have a issue with touch too. A soft glasses cloth without anything else. Just normally a build up of stiff that's on my hands from work (I'm a truck driver).

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/11/2011, at 5:52 AM, Ron Little <Ron@91710.com> wrote:

> I doubt that the color has anything to do with it. But... Just for fun try trading with the black phone holders for a day and see if the problem follows the phones.
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <BuffaloMT@...> wrote:
> >
> > I bought the new 8 GB iPhone 4 in white. So did my SIL and my niece. My brother and his son bought the same thing but in black. My SIL, niece and I are all having problems with the touch on our iPhone. Sometimes it doesn't respond to our touch. We all have had it where we can't even hang up from someone. Other times, it seems to work very easily and we are opening apps when we really don't want to. My brother and his son who have the black phone are having no such problems. Is this a common problem with the iPhone 4? And is there any connection with the fact that the 3 of us who are having problems have a white phone and the two who aren't have a black or would that just be a coincidence? I appreciate any insight you can offer as we are wondering if we have bad phones or if this is just how the iPhone is. Thanks for any help.
> > Judy
> >
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: Apple iPhone spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia

Posted by: "Patrick - PDA Repair" iphonerepairtech@yahoo.com   pwrigg

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:06 pm (PST)



I had an iPhone battery catch fire at my office when I was repairing it.
Happened while I was trying to remove the battery.

Prior to that I had worked on about 75 iPhone 4 units so i am pretty sure it wasnt all my fault. LOL

Worked on about 100 since and hasn't happened.

I will tell you this, once that battery shorts and starts to smoke let it do its thing.

I've go pics of it as well.

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Boulware
To: Open-iPhone Group ; iPhone Group
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 2:50 PM
Subject: [apple-iphone] Apple iPhone spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia

Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Apple iPhone
spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia via BGR: The Three
Biggest Letters In Tech by Zach Epstein on 11/28/11

An Apple iPhone spontaneously began smoking and emitting a red glow
while aboard an airplane in Australia. Passengers aboard Regional
Express flight ZL319 were welcomed to their destination in Sydney,
Australia on Friday by a frightening ordeal. According to the airline,
a passenger's iPhone began "emitting a significant amount of dense
smoke" shortly after the flight landed, and the smoke was accompanied
by a red glow. A flight attendant extinguished the device and no
passengers or airline staff were injured according to the airline. The
phone in question appears to be an iPhone 4 (pictured above) as opposed
to the new iPhone 4S model, and it has been collected by the Australian
Transport Safety Bureau as part of its investigation. Regional Express'
full press release follows below.
MEDIA RELEASE MOBILE PHONE SELF COMBUSTION
Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney
today had an occurrence after landing, when a passenger's mobile phone
started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke accompanied by a
red glow.

In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the Flight
Attendant carried out recovery actions immediately and the red glow was
extinguished successfully.

All passengers and crew on board were unharmed.

The matter has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau
(ATSB) as well as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for
investigation and directions.

The mobile phone in question appears to be an Apple iPhone (see picture
below) and has been handed over to ATSB for analysis.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In Tech using Google
Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

3b.

Re: Apple iPhone spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia

Posted by: "ROGER PROKIC" rprokic@me.com   rprokic

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm (PST)



I've also seen lithium ion batteries explode for no rhyme or reason. It's not often though.

Roger

---
Roger Prokic

-=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S ]=-

On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Patrick - PDA Repair <iphonerepairtech@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had an iPhone battery catch fire at my office when I was repairing it.
> Happened while I was trying to remove the battery.
>
> Prior to that I had worked on about 75 iPhone 4 units so i am pretty sure it wasnt all my fault. LOL
>
> Worked on about 100 since and hasn't happened.
>
> I will tell you this, once that battery shorts and starts to smoke let it do its thing.
>
> I've go pics of it as well.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Bill Boulware
> To: Open-iPhone Group ; iPhone Group
> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 2:50 PM
> Subject: [apple-iphone] Apple iPhone spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia
>
>
>
> Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Apple iPhone
> spontaneously combusts aboard flight in Australia via BGR: The Three
> Biggest Letters In Tech by Zach Epstein on 11/28/11
>
> An Apple iPhone spontaneously began smoking and emitting a red glow
> while aboard an airplane in Australia. Passengers aboard Regional
> Express flight ZL319 were welcomed to their destination in Sydney,
> Australia on Friday by a frightening ordeal. According to the airline,
> a passenger's iPhone began "emitting a significant amount of dense
> smoke" shortly after the flight landed, and the smoke was accompanied
> by a red glow. A flight attendant extinguished the device and no
> passengers or airline staff were injured according to the airline. The
> phone in question appears to be an iPhone 4 (pictured above) as opposed
> to the new iPhone 4S model, and it has been collected by the Australian
> Transport Safety Bureau as part of its investigation. Regional Express'
> full press release follows below.
> MEDIA RELEASE MOBILE PHONE SELF COMBUSTION
> Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney
> today had an occurrence after landing, when a passenger's mobile phone
> started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke accompanied by a
> red glow.
>
> In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the Flight
> Attendant carried out recovery actions immediately and the red glow was
> extinguished successfully.
>
> All passengers and crew on board were unharmed.
>
> The matter has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau
> (ATSB) as well as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for
> investigation and directions.
>
> The mobile phone in question appears to be an Apple iPhone (see picture
> below) and has been handed over to ATSB for analysis.
>
> Things you can do from here:
> - Subscribe to BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In Tech using Google
> Reader
> - Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
> favorite sites

4.1.

Re: LIfeproof

Posted by: "Terri Kitchen" terrisk35@yahoo.com   terrisk35

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:35 pm (PST)



Yes, it is the one (hugpug@aol.com). IF you decide to get it be sure to follow all the instructional videos on the website's links(they're all on YouTube). That way you "test" the case BEFORE putting your valuable iPhone in it! Also, each time after it is dropped be sure to water test just the case, before putting the phone back in it so you know you are water proofed! Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone that I can't live without

On Nov 27, 2011, at 2:40 PM, ROGER PROKIC <rprokic@me.com> wrote:

> Yes it is completely waterproof and they also sell the belt clip as well.
>
> ---
> Roger Prokic
>
> -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
>
> On Nov 27, 2011, at 2:11 PM, hugpug@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Is it the LifeProof case that you don't have to worry about rain? Is this
> > the one that has the belt clip you can buy to hook on to your belt? TIA
> >
> > Carol
> >
> >
> > In a message dated 11/27/2011 1:39:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> > rprokic@me.com writes:
> >
> > I love my LifeProof case too. I am looking forward to the bike mount clip
> > too.
> >
> > ---
> > Roger Prokic
> >
> > -=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S with iOS 5 ]=-
> >
> > On Nov 27, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Terri Kitchen <terrisk35@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I love my case! Not having to worry about rain, dust etc it's well worth
> > it! They do sell dock extenders also so you can use chargers or other
> > docks to charge your phone while still in the case. I have an extender also and
> > love that I can leave it in the case and dock it on my iHome clock radio
> > or other radio w/dock for iPhone. Just recently got belt clip to go w/case
> > and love it too. Clip has lock switch so the phone doesn't accidentally
> > become dislodged because of catching it on something it is a VERY new company
> > still going through growing pains but have a great product! Good Luck!
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: [iPad] Cases to protect the iPhone 4S ?

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:26 pm (PST)



My favorite cases are the contour clear case http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045LQ568/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000TTMDRA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0W34S1GHA0QRHVGM0YB6

and iFrogz Lux Original http://ifrogz.com/product/IP4GLO

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 28, 2011, at 10:44 AM, "bj" <bjones44@verizon.net> wrote:

> I use a case (not one with a screen protector) to help against dropitis.
>
> I like one that looks nice (though I'm not into cute or girlie) but if it
> doesn't have grippiness it's no good to me.
>
> I have grippy-cases for my smaller iDevices. I got the original Apple case
> for my iPad1 because it closes up to protect the screen when I'm not using
> it & it may be stuffed into my tote bag or whatnot with other stuff, get
> papers & magazines dumped on top of it on the side table, etc. -- more
> vulnerable than my phone which goes either into my pocket or a side-pocket
> in my purse.
> bj
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wyldceltic1
> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:02 AM
> To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [iPad] Cases to protect the iPhone 4S ?
>
> IMO, For most people in an urban setting (Home, office and car) a Bumper
> would suffice. The bumper surrounds the iPhone's vulnerable spots, such as
> the corners and sides, protecting them from impact of a light to moderate
> nature. Most 'Back snaps' come in nice looking patterns and may be
> attractive, but they do not come up around the screen, so if your iPhone
> takes a face-plant on the ground, I doubt this would offer much in the way
> of screen protection.
>
> Some girls and women want 'cute', go for a couple of cheapo cases from
> Amazon or eBay and use this for occasional dressy times.
>
> Businessmen and women want a professional leather case, SENA and VAJA make
> wonderful stylish cases, worth checking out.
>
> For the more 'Rugged' lifestyle, such as Murray, living in the mountains or
> someone in heavy manual work, the Otterbox, though bulky is the most popular
> for protection.
>
> Another, new kid on the block is the Lifeproof case. It is a bit more
> form-fitting, has water resistance and seems to be a 'civilized' looking
> rugged case. Not like a 'tank such as Otterbox.
>
> Another rugged, but versatile case is the Speck Tough armour. This is
> 3-parts: a hard snap-on back, rubber textured "Tire tread" thick skin, and a
> belt clip/stand. You could use the back snap in city and home use, place the
> rubber skin over this for the mountain weekends and have the belt clip if
> you wish to use this on hikes, bikes, construction sites. (To be honest, the
> Lifeproof and otterbox would cover the ports and keep dust, grime and
> moisture out of the iPhone better in this circumstance) Lifeproof also has
> the water resistance and makes this good for those in water-oriented things
> like boating, fishing and so on.
>
> The "Best case" is the one you will want to use. *I* could tell you what the
> best case is for a purpose is, but if you find it 'ugly' or 'too bulky' you
> wouldn't want to use it and so it would not be the best for you.
>
> I have an industrial looking case from DNACaseworks.com It is metal,
> requires the user to screw it onto the iPhone. It is darn cool looking and
> will protect, but some find it too 'hard-edge', 'boxy' and would prefer a
> metal alloy from DracoDesigns.com. I'm a real techno-geek and like the
> engineering/machinist look of my DNA case.
>
> For the big photographer, the JOBY Gorillamobile case and tripod is key.
> This is a hard plastic 'bumper' style with a snap-on tripod. You can set
> your phone up to do video/pictures etc. But, being the bumper style, only
> surrounds the corners and sides, not the back or front.
>
> Go with
> A. Comfort in Hand
> B. protection
> C. Profile and function (Do you want a clip option? A place for credit
> cards/business cards etc)
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.

Tweet from @9to5mac

Posted by: "ROGER PROKIC" rprokic@me.com   rprokic

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 pm (PST)



Apple allows unlimited tethering iPhone application into the App Store http://t.co/EYF0qmYW

http://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/141377499312566272

---
Roger Prokic

-=[ this message was sent from my Apple iPhone 4S ]=-

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Check out the
Y! Groups blog
Stay up to speed
on all things Groups!
Yahoo! Groups
Cat Owners Group
Connect and share with
others who love their cats
Y! Messenger
Group get-together
Host a free online
conference on IM.
Need to Reply?
Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.
Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE
Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.