11/20/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2793

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

1.1.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Pabitra Saha
1.2.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Tequila Allen
1.3.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Jim Saklad
1.4.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Wyldceltic1
1.5.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Misha Schutt
1.6.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: Clark Martin
1.7.
Re: iPhone accessories? From: whiterabbit32
2.
New 4S From: Betsy Schwartz
3a.
Re: Editing videos - what is recommended? From: Richard Raiff
4a.
Re: deleting emails on iPhone From: Clark Martin
5a.
Re: IOS5 and old email From: Clark Martin
6a.
Re: iPad2 From: Clark Martin

Messages

1.1.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Pabitra Saha" pksaha000@yahoo.co.uk   pksaha000

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 pm (PST)



Get the screen put on by professional. He will make sure that there are no bubbles. On earlier digital diaries and phones, where a stylus was used, I used to get the screen cover replaced every year or so. I have never used a touch or screen input device without a screen guard except my first device which was Casio Cassiopeia which I had bought in 1997. Screen guards came later.
PKS

On 19 Nov 2011, at 23:30, David Andreozzi <gabrielfan72@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found the screen guard difficult because of the air bubbles. Most of them came out shortly after putting it on but I still have two or three along the edge.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Pabitra Saha <pksaha000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Screen guard and a protective cover.
> >
> > On 19 Nov 2011, at 20:21, Rasputin Novgorod <priapulus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've ordered my new iPhone 4s. What accessories must I have?
> > > External batterypack? Protective case? What can't you live
> > > without?
> > >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.2.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Tequila Allen" lashaunej@yahoo.com   lashaunej

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm (PST)



I agree the cases design for iPhone 4 do not fit the iPhone 4s

On Nov 19, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Jim Harry <jim.harry@harryfamily.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, all iPhone 4 cases and accessories fit the 4S - exact same dimensions.
>
> That's not entirely true. Cases designed for the original AT&T iPhone
> 4 will not necessarily fit on the 4S. And there are plenty of those
> still for sale on the interwebs. If the case says it's compatible
> with AT&T & Verizon (or Sprint) iPhone 4 (or the 4S), then you are ok.
> I've bought a few cases very recently that ended up being for the
> original 4 and either didn't fit, or only barely so.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.3.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:29 pm (PST)



> I agree the cases design for iPhone 4 do not fit the iPhone 4s

That depends on the case, and on whether the 4 is an AT&T or a Verizon phone (which differ slightly in the placement of the buttons).

The dimensions of the 4 and 4S phones themselves are identical otherwise.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.4.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Wyldceltic1" wyldceltic1@me.com   wyldceltic1

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 pm (PST)



Yes, most cases do. The Otter box and others that close over to top and bottom of the front screen *could* screw with the Proximity sensor. Otherwise, all the buttons and such ARE accessible. I sell the cases at the Apple store, and only notice a slight lowering of the mute button in some of the cases, but they still work and one can still turn the mute on or off.

On Nov 19, 2011, at 6:12 PM, Tequila Allen wrote:

> I agree the cases design for iPhone 4 do not fit the iPhone 4s
>
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Jim Harry <jim.harry@harryfamily.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yes, all iPhone 4 cases and accessories fit the 4S - exact same dimensions.
> >
> > That's not entirely true. Cases designed for the original AT&T iPhone
> > 4 will not necessarily fit on the 4S. And there are plenty of those
> > still for sale on the interwebs. If the case says it's compatible
> > with AT&T & Verizon (or Sprint) iPhone 4 (or the 4S), then you are ok.
> > I've bought a few cases very recently that ended up being for the
> > original 4 and either didn't fit, or only barely so.

1.5.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Misha Schutt" mishajouy@me.com   mishajouy

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm (PST)



Two essentials: a case, and a reserve power supply.

I've been very happy with a gel case (Amzer Luxe argyle, many colors including smoke). Under $10, simple, attractive (I've gotten compliments). It's transparent, so the design of the phone is visible, but it's distinctive too. Also, it's not too slippery, so when I lay my phone on my thigh on a moving bus, it stays. And when I drop it on a concrete sidewalk (twice now), it survives.

On my 3G, I used a screen protector, but with the luscious silky feel of the glass on the 4, I just couldn't bear to put plastic over it, and I haven't been sorry. Nary a scratch.

I use a Richard Solo 1800 power supply for backup. It doesn't deliver a 100% recharge, but it's easy to carry and use. I'm contemplating getting a second one for a long trip. I haven't tried the Mophie, but I used another battery case for a while, and the phone no longer fit comfortably into my shirt pocket, where I always keep it (until they issue a surgically implantable model ;-). They sell one that plugs directly into the phone, and one that uses a cable--the latter is much more versatile. Now I see they sell bigger ones that can charge an iPad and other devices.

Beware of third-party charging cables at Radio Shack etc. ("compatible with all iPhones"). Few of them work--at all (for which I blame Apple, rather than Radio Shack--why the hell can't we buy third-party stuff?!)

Misha
Sent from my iPhone 4

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.6.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm (PST)




On Nov 19, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Rasputin Novgorod wrote:

> I've ordered my new iPhone 4s. What accessories must I have?
> External batterypack? Protective case? What can't you live
> without?

I've got a Belkin case that silicone around the edges and a clear plastic panel on the back (except for the camera and flash). It seems to protect it quite well.

I also got a screen protector for it.

I have on order a set of plugs to cover the data port and earphone plug. Someone I know says he's had trouble with previous iPhones having dust get in through those holes.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting

"I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"

1.7.

Re: iPhone accessories?

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:10 am (PST)



Rasputin: where did you order your plugs from? I'd like to get a set :-)

Concerning essentials, I always buy a Mophie (http://www.mophie.com/). It's an external battery/case. It's the best external battery I've found that doesn't make your iPhone feel really thick. For other cases, I like Incase (https://goincase.com/m/#home), Agent 18 (https://goincase.com/m/#home) and iFrogz (https://goincase.com/m/#home). There's lots of other case makers but these are my go to case sites when buying a new case. My favorite iFrogz case is the Luxe Original (http://ifrogz.com/product/IP4GLO).

Apps, I can't live without GoodReader. It's more than just a PDF reader. Check it out in the app store. It's a PDF reader, it zips files which you can upload to places like Dropbox, you can download zip file to it from storage sites like Dropbox and much more. I have the Dropbox app for my iPhone. I'd you choose box.net, there's an app for that.

Those are my picks. I hope it helps.

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Nov 19, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Clark Martin <cmmac@sonic.net> wrote:

>
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Rasputin Novgorod wrote:
>
> > I've ordered my new iPhone 4s. What accessories must I have?
> > External batterypack? Protective case? What can't you live
> > without?
>
> I've got a Belkin case that silicone around the edges and a clear plastic panel on the back (except for the camera and flash). It seems to protect it quite well.
>
> I also got a screen protector for it.
>
> I have on order a set of plugs to cover the data port and earphone plug. Someone I know says he's had trouble with previous iPhones having dust get in through those holes.
>
> Clark Martin
> Redwood City, CA, USA
> Macintosh / Internet Consulting
>
> "I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.

New 4S

Posted by: "Betsy Schwartz" betsys@gmail.com   betsys99

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm (PST)



Just got my 4S. Upgraded by my employer from a 32G 3G to a 16G 4S

First impressions:
-Screen is ***sharp***. HUGE difference from the 3G
-Camera is enormously improved. This was my biggest motivation for switching.
-Siri has not been genuinely useful, so far, as it's knowledge of
Boston geography is a bit fuzzy, and it can't give me store hours
(which is usually my most pressing question). Google search is still
more useful.
-System is noticably faster
-I think the battery is wearing down faster and it's running hotter,
but I am not sure , because I'm also using it more.
-the 3G was more comfortable in the hand, but the 4S stays still on a table.

The actual usable storage has gone from 29G to 13G which is a pretty
noticeable hit. I have more than 32G of music to begin with, not
counting podcasts.
(on the plus side, the old 3G makes a pretty nice little iPod)

Still looking for a good, indestructible case with belt clip, that I
can't accidentally knock the phone out of, but that doesn't look ready
for combat either...

3a.

Re: Editing videos - what is recommended?

Posted by: "Richard Raiff" richraiff@gmail.com   raiffrj

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:23 pm (PST)



picasa from google is a good place to start. Adobe photoshop elements is
very good.

*Rich Raiff*

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM, inphasefive <skirbyiphone@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I went hiking this morning and got some great videos on my 4S of Beavers
> getting branches for the winter. However, when I put them on my Windows 7
> laptop, Quicktime shows them all flipped 90 degrees, argh, I probably
> should have held the iPhone sideways rather than upright.
>
> So, I would like to rotate the movies, I would like to zoom in and crop,
> and I would like to string several of them into one continuous file.
>
> I have spent the afternoon Googling video editing software but can't tell
> which one would be easy but able to do those things. I thought of Quicktime
> Pro but the reviews are terrible. I'm not looking for free, I'm looking for
> easy to use.
>
> I did upload one clip to YouTube if you would like to take a look. I've
> been watching these beavers for the whole summer and they are really fun,
> and quite used to me by now. The temperature here (Quebec, Canada) is
> getting below freezing at night and the beavers are in urgent mode now.

4a.

Re: deleting emails on iPhone

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm (PST)




On Nov 19, 2011, at 8:39 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>> I mentioned I thought deleting on the iPhone could be dangerous, only because sometimes it's too simple to hit the delete button in a hurry on the go. If I changed the setting now, I'd have to get used to the messages being gone for good. Right now, I can do an edit and delete from the phone, but know I can still see it on my computer if I want.
>>
>> I guess I'm one of those very cautious types.
>
> When I read my mail (my primary account is an IMAP account) on my iPad or my iPhone, I delete or don't delete messages exactly as I would on my home computer.

Most e-mail accounts are not IMAP nor POP but are really both if you will. That is the mail is stored in one location on the server and can be accessed via either a process serving POP or another process serving IMAP. So you can use either or both to get your mail.

I use IMAP on my iPhone, a could of laptops and one desktop machine that I use regularly and POP on my main laptop. This way I can check it on one of the computers using IMAP, deleting messages I'm not interested in or have read and reply. But then when I check my e-mail with my main machine the messages are downloaded and deleted off the server.

>
> Sometimes, I empty Mail's Trash from the iPad or iPhone, but more commonly perform that operation at home.
>
> Until the trash is emptied, the deleted mails remain in it.

I usually go into the trash folders on each account and delete older mail, over about 1 month old. That way recent stuff is still available in case I need to refer back to it.

I use POP (ultimately) as I prefer to keep my mail on my computer.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting

"I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"

5a.

Re: IOS5 and old email

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm (PST)




On Nov 19, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Betsy Schwartz wrote:

> It's possible to run imap over an encrypted channel (ssl/tls) Don't think that's usually supported with POP

POP also supports SSL. Most servers I've encountered support it.

>

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting

"I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"

6a.

Re: iPad2

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:30 pm (PST)




On Nov 19, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Felicia G wrote:

> Thanks Jim, I do have Firefox. That's may be it. Should I turn it off when I want to read my emails?

The poster said "firewall", not "Firefox". Big difference.

To find out try using it somewhere else where WiFi is available (and not likely to be firewalled, such as an Internet cafe or home network).

>
> "Sent from my iPhone 4"
>
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:
>
>>> Good afternoon group, I have a question. I have a iPad2 and I'm using it on wifi from the job Now when I'm on wifi I can't seem to get my emails. Is there something I have to turn on in order to get my emails.

You may well not have your mail settings entered correctly. Check to see if your mail provider has a setup page for iPhone / iPads.

>>
>> Your problem might be a firewall at work preventing this.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting

"I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Community resources

for parents

Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.