3/14/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8786

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

1a.
Inro and ipod question From: tallgitawr
1b.
Re: Inro and ipod question From: N.A. Nada
2a.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question  -- Solution From: Michael_pdx
2b.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question  -- Solution From: N.A. Nada
3.
NeoOffice Printing: Incoming Connections Warning From: Tod Hopkins
4a.
Safari update: 5.1.4 From: hester reik
4b.
Re: Safari update: 5.1.4 From: paul smith
5a.
Re: AppleCare Support Center From: Bob Stern
6a.
Re: i-Mac DVD Burner From: nidnob
7a.
How to SMS? From: DaveC
7b.
Re: How to SMS? From: Rob Frankel

Messages

1a.

Inro and ipod question

Posted by: "tallgitawr" felix8470@comcast.net   tallgitawr

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 am (PDT)



Hi
I am new to the Apple world, and just got rid of my PC last month - now that it's gone, I don't know why I held on for so long :-)

Anyway,last week, I bought a new 160gb Classic ipod, which works fine in two different ipod dock/players I have tried it in, and the remotes with those players work fine.

But I tried it in a used ihome I bought yesterday, and the remote will not advance from one song to the next, and the volume control does not work either. All other buttons on the ihome remote work, but not the above two functions.

Am I looking at a bad ihome, or is there some sort of software update I need ? I hope this has come up before, and there is an easy solution

Thanks in advance for your time

1b.

Re: Inro and ipod question

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 am (PDT)




On Mar 13, 2012, at 7:53 AM, tallgitawr wrote:

> Hi
> I am new to the Apple world, and just got rid of my PC last month - now that it's gone, I don't know why I held on for so long :-)
>
> Anyway,last week, I bought a new 160gb Classic ipod, which works fine in two different ipod dock/players I have tried it in, and the remotes with those players work fine.
>
> But I tried it in a used ihome I bought yesterday, and the remote will not advance from one song to the next, and the volume control does not work either. All other buttons on the ihome remote work, but not the above two functions.
>
> Am I looking at a bad ihome, or is there some sort of software update I need ? I hope this has come up before, and there is an easy solution

Welcome.

You might have bought an iHome that is too old and not compatible with your brand new, current model of iPod Classic. Apple made a change to the 30-pin connector wiring sometime in early 2010, and so not all iPods may not be compatible with the iHome. It will work some, but probably not want to charge.

Or you may have a bad iHome device.

BTW you narrowed down the iPod by saying new 160GB Classic, but you left the field open on what you have iHome. It is like saying you have a Ford. Is it a F-350, a F-150, a Ranger, a Tarus, a Fiesta, or a Fusion Hybrd?

Go to the iHome web site, figure out which model you have and they should have a compatibility chart. If you find it is a discontinued model, that might suggest it is not compatible. That may be why you got it for a song.

You can make it work better with a Scosche adapter, but I would not recommend it with a 160 GB Classic. I think it might put too much torque on the 30-pin connector and damage it.

Brent
2a.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question  -- Solution

Posted by: "Michael_pdx" michael_pdx@yahoo.com   Michael_pdx

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 am (PDT)





Thanks to all who replied. Here is what I learned at the Genius bar.

1. Confirmed that Mail will work with POP accounts.

2. Confirmed that Entourage version 2004 and other MS Office 2004 programs will not run under Lion.

3. Confirmed that direct import of old Entourage data into Mail using the Import mailboxes menu choice on Mail, while running Lion, does not work because the import procedure needs to run Entourage, which cannot run under Lion.

4. First attempted work around: Reboot from an external drive and Snow Leopard then try to import the mail boxes using Mail. Does not work because the new version of Mail that comes with Lion, will not run under Snow Leopard.

5. Second attempted work around: Copy the Entourage data onto a thumb drive. Then copy it over to my old Ibook running OS 10.4 and replace the Entourage Data base on the iBook. Then run the old version of Mail on the iBook and import the Entourage data into a format Mail can read. (this all takes a long time if you have a 6 gig data file). That worked! Now I think it should be a simple matter to move the mail boxes from the iBook to the new computer.

2b.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question  -- Solution

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 am (PDT)




On Mar 13, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Michael_pdx wrote:

>
>
> Thanks to all who replied. Here is what I learned at the Genius bar.
>
> 1. Confirmed that Mail will work with POP accounts.
>
> 2. Confirmed that Entourage version 2004 and other MS Office 2004 programs will not run under Lion.
>
> 3. Confirmed that direct import of old Entourage data into Mail using the Import mailboxes menu choice on Mail, while running Lion, does not work because the import procedure needs to run Entourage, which cannot run under Lion.
>
> 4. First attempted work around: Reboot from an external drive and Snow Leopard then try to import the mail boxes using Mail. Does not work because the new version of Mail that comes with Lion, will not run under Snow Leopard.
>
> 5. Second attempted work around: Copy the Entourage data onto a thumb drive. Then copy it over to my old Ibook running OS 10.4 and replace the Entourage Data base on the iBook. Then run the old version of Mail on the iBook and import the Entourage data into a format Mail can read. (this all takes a long time if you have a 6 gig data file). That worked! Now I think it should be a simple matter to move the mail boxes from the iBook to the new computer.

That last one should do it. I was going to suggest doing that on the external drive with 10.6, if it had a copy of Mail that had not been affected by the Mail from 10.7.

Brent

3.

NeoOffice Printing: Incoming Connections Warning

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 am (PDT)



I've had this bug before. Then it went away. It's back.

When opening the print dialog in NeoOffice 3.2.1, the incoming connections permissions dialog pops up and goes away about four times before the print dialog appears. It does this again when I send the print job. Each time is dissappears on it's own. I don't have to answer the Deny/Allow question. Catching the dialog (got to be fast) and clicking the Allow does not seem to make the pop-ups disappear. NeoOffice is listed in the Firewall exceptions and it is clearly "NeoOffice.app" that is indicated in the dialog.

Anyone familiar with this? Any idea how to make it go away?

I am printing to a network printer. Since my system can connect via SAMBA, Appletalk, or Bonjour, I never know for sure which it is choosing.

Hmmm... that give me an idea.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Safari update: 5.1.4

Posted by: "hester reik" dhreik@gmail.com   drhester_06107

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:47 pm (PDT)



Anyone know anything about this update: Safari 5.1.4?
Thanks
hester

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: Safari update: 5.1.4

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:10 pm (PDT)



It's supposed to be mostly security enhancements. I have been using it for a little more than a day, and have not noticed any changes or glitches.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1

On Mar 13, 2012, at 7:47 PM, hester reik wrote:

Anyone know anything about this update: Safari 5.1.4?

5a.

Re: AppleCare Support Center

Posted by: "Bob Stern" bobbystar@yahoo.com   bobbystar

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48 pm (PDT)



I should have mentioned that the email address the message was sent to is different than the one I use on this list.

Sent from my iPad
6a.

Re: i-Mac DVD Burner

Posted by: "nidnob" nidnob8@gmail.com   nidnob6

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 pm (PDT)



Thanks for replies. Unfortunately lens cleaner didn't work so will follow
up other suggestions.

On 11 March 2012 14:30, paul smith <kullervo@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Most likely your DVD laser lens is dirty. It is strong enough to read
> DVDs, but not strong enough to burn to them. A "lens cleaner" DVD should
> fix the problem. They cost around $5 - $10.
> --
> PSmith
> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S
> 64 GB, iOS 5.1
>
>
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 9:41 PM, nidnob wrote:
>
> The DVD Burner on my i-Mac ( 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ) will no longer
> accept blank DVDs ( -R or +R ) - it just ejects them after a spell of what
> sounds like seeking. It will however play prerecorded DVDs both commercial
> and self recorded. Any ideas what is wrong?
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7a.

How to SMS?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 pm (PDT)



I currently send text from my Mac to a cell phone on the Sprint cell
network using my e-mail client. When it shows up on the phone only a
limited number of characters are displayed (I think only the subject
field).

How can I send a full text message from my Mac to this cell phone? Is
it possible? Should I use a messaging client? Or...?

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)

7b.

Re: How to SMS?

Posted by: "Rob Frankel" rob@robfrankel.com   robfrankeldotcom

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 pm (PDT)



At 9:02 PM -0700 3/13/12, DaveC wrote thusly:
>I currently send text from my Mac to a cell phone on the Sprint cell
>network using my e-mail client. When it shows up on the phone only a
>limited number of characters are displayed (I think only the subject
>field).
>
>How can I send a full text message from my Mac to this cell phone? Is
>it possible? Should I use a messaging client? Or...?
>

Have you tried the TXTDrop.com Free SMS Widget from Apple's site?
Seems to work well when I use it.

--
Rob Frankel

"Branding is not about getting your prospects to choose you over your
competition; it's about getting your prospects to see you as the only
solution to their problem." (TM) -- Rob Frankel, branding expert and
author of "The Revenge of Brand X: How to build a Big Time Brand on
the web or anywhere else."
http://www.RobFrankel.com
Blog: http://www.robfrankelblog.com
818-990-8623 or 1-888-ROBFRANKEL * E-Fax 413-778-0909
AIM/Skype/MSN: ROBFRANKEL ICQ: 249862730
YAHOO IM: ROBFRANKELDOTCOM Twitter: @brandingexpert

--
Rob Frankel

Branding Expert http://www.RobFrankel.com
Twitter: @brandingexpert
AIM/Skype: ROBFRANKEL ICQ: 249862730
1-888-ROBFRANKEL * 818-990-8623 * E-Fax 413-778-0909
Yes, there's an RSS feed blog, if you can handle it:
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web