10/10/2011

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2680

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Which Carrier’s iPhone 4S Will Be the Fastest? [MAP]

Posted by: "rkkeller8" thekellergroup@gmail.com   rkkeller8

Sun Oct 9, 2011 1:14 pm (PDT)



Great but not everyone is.

Rich

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@...> wrote:
>
> Grandfathered Unlimited ;-). I have been paying $30/mo to both Verizon and
> AT&T since 2007 just so when they inverted I would still have it. When I
> upgraded my Verizon the Droid Bionic with LTE I blew through 2GB in the
> first week. I purposefully kept WiFi turned off to make sure they didn't
> limit my "Unlimited" - I got to 6GB to make sure then I started using WiFi
> when available.
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 15:19, rkkeller8 <thekellergroup@...> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good until you hit 2 gb and they start to slow
> > down your data speed and/or your charged more for overages.
> >
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > http://feeds.mashable.com/~r/Mashable/~3/1cWv3pZzp8k/
> > >
> > > Sent to you by Bill Boulware via Google Reader: Which Carrier’s iPhone
> > > 4S Will Be the Fastest? [MAP] via Mashable! by Charlie White on 10/9/11
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Want to look before you leap into an iPhone 4S? OpenSignalMaps used
> > > 46,600 speed tests from real-world users (ironically, using an Android
> > > app) to find out where carriers are bringing the top speed, and where
> > > they’re lagging behind the others.
> > >
> > > As you can see in the map above, the iPhone 4S on AT&T will be the
> > > speediest in 31 states in the U.S., with Verizon coming in a distant
> > > second in 6 states. Sprint didn’t win any states at all. Those other
> > > greyed-out states didn’t gather enough data for reliable results.
> > >
> > > The researchers at OpenSignalMaps emphasize this doesn’t mean AT&T’s
> > > network is the overall fastest, but that the iPhone 4S will perform
> > > faster on that network (in certain states) than on the other two. Also
> > > keep in mind â€" this data doesn’t take into account the frequency of
> > > dropped calls.
> > >
> > > Why did AT&T win this speed race? The company recently upgraded its
> > > HSPA network to HSPA+, which has a faster theoretical upload and
> > > download speed:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > According to OpenSignalMaps’ crowdsourced results, that translates into
> > > a real-world speed advantage.
> > >
> > > SEE ALSO: iPhone 4S: 4 Reasons to Upgrade
> > >
> > > One of the more useful parts of the OpenSignalMaps interactive page is
> > > its service plan comparison tool, where you can set its filters on
> > > which iPhone you’d like, which networks to compare, and amounts of talk
> > > time, SMS, data and storage you want, and then compare prices.
> > >
> > > Here, I’ve filtered the lowest-priced iPhone 4S plans, comparing their
> > > pricing from each of the three carriers. In this example, you get what
> > > you pay for â€" notice the reported slowest network, Sprint, comes out
> > > with the lowest monthly price of $69.99:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > To interactively drill down into the data state-by-state, compare the
> > > various carriers, their service plans, the resale value of the phones,
> > > as well as their upgrade and return policies, go to the OpenSignalMaps
> > > site, where you can sift and filter the data yourself to find out
> > > exactly which iPhone 4S is best for you.
> > >
> > > iPhone 4S
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > The iPhone 4S looks and feels exactly like the iPhone 4.
> > >
> > > Click here to view this gallery.
> > >
> > > More About: att, iPhone 4S, OpenSignalMaps, sprint, verizon
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Things you can do from here:
> > > - Subscribe to Mashable! using Google Reader
> > > - Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
> > > favorite sites
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

2a.

Re: AT&T  vs Apple Ordering

Posted by: "Leti Yahoo" l_labell@yahoo.com   l_labell

Sun Oct 9, 2011 2:44 pm (PDT)



I also got a free M-cell from AT&T. Five bars everywhere in the house; it's great.

Regards,
Leti

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Oct 8, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Paul  <paul.deyo@gmail.com> wrote:

> ATT gave me a M-Cell for free and now we have full scale service everywhere on my property inside and out. It works great. They even offer a cheap unlimited plan when you are connected to the m-cell
>
> Paul
>
> On Oct 8, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Rich wrote:
>
>> Exactly and one of the reasons I gave up the iPhone 3GS a year or so back and
>> went Android on another provider. I could not get a good signal at all "inside"
>> my house and had a lot of dropped calls making it almost useless "for me" as a
>> phone.
>>
>> I can only speak for me and my house and local area but I would never go back
>> to ATT. Surprise of surprises was with Sprint I have better service as everyone
>> knocks Sprint.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> http://www.MeAndMyDogs.com
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com [mailto:apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Andreozzi
>> Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:32 PM
>> To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
>> Cc: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] AT&T vs Apple Ordering
>>
>> I'm actually surprised at the number of preorders AT&T is getting for the 4S considering the negative reviews on it's service and capacity. Speed doesn't do a lot of good without reliability in my book.

3a.

Re: Trade In

Posted by: "Kevin Potter" old.road@sbcglobal.net   cuon66

Sun Oct 9, 2011 3:21 pm (PDT)



Closest alternative to what you want might be www.gazelle.com

They'll give you cash for your older item & then you could buy a different item.

Kevin

On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Paul wrote:

> Does anyone know if this trade in deal is for another IPhone or could you take the "$" and put it toward another apple product. Specifically an iPad.
> Thanks.
> Paul
>
>

4a.

Re: What's your experience?

Posted by: "Rich" thekellergroup@gmail.com   rkkeller8

Sun Oct 9, 2011 4:43 pm (PDT)



Thing is one will love X, another will hate X, one will love Y another
will hate Y and so on. These type of discussions have been going on
a long time and it ALL depends on YOUR wants and YOUR use.

If you want the best coverage, its Verizon, if you want unlimited everything
for cheap its Sprint and so on.

Rich

4b.

Re: What's your experience?

Posted by: "Steve Parmley" rushtofire@yahoo.com   rushtofire

Sun Oct 9, 2011 8:44 pm (PDT)



Not that I'm upgrading now, but I'm glad I stuck with AT&T. Verizon does have better coverage which I had for six years, but I had an experience where the data and voice was very useful. My debit card got declined while I was making a big purchase at Home Depot. I had to call the bank and use their website at the same time to get the error fixed. They didn't like my recent purchase history and thought they were doing me a favor by locking my account. I had to quote dollar amounts from my bank's website for verification. All done from Home Depot. I was able to complete my large purchase and didn't have to return "later". That dual functionality was superb!

Steve

________________________________
From: bkanne <radio.w4tga@gmail.com>
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:05 AM
Subject: [apple-iphone] What's your experience?

 
Now that we are being given even more choices of carriers for the 4S I am seeking input from those who have opted for CDMA vs GSM.

Do you miss or regret losing simultaneous data and voice? Was leaving this behind worth the more reliable coverage offered by Verizon? Are you considering going back to AT&T?

I'm thinking of those commercials when the 4 was launched and wordering if reality matches what was portrayed there.

Thanks for your responses,
Barry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: [apple-iphone] Which Carrier’s iPhone 4S Will Be the Fast

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Oct 9, 2011 7:14 pm (PDT)



> Sounds good until you hit 2 gb and they start to slow down your data speed and/or your charged more for overages.
> Rich

I've seen (for AT&T at least) say that they will throttle downloads when a user passes into the "top 5%" of users, but I've never seen a GB number attached to that.

Do you have a reference URL for that, Rich?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: what verizon told me

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Sun Oct 9, 2011 7:14 pm (PDT)



Seems to me that you got ripped off. The iPhone 4 is $99 once the 4S
is released.

Jay
On Oct 7, 2011, at 7:55 PM, jay1price wrote:

> I was able to get an iphone for $149.00,,instead of the regular
> $199.00,which is fine by me.i was told unless i was going outside of
> the U.S. That the iphone 4 is all i need.Verizon told me that,the
> proceser was faster,and the camra,was 8mp instead of 5.i can live
> with the 5mp camra fine.jay

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.