10/13/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8488

Messages In This Digest (17 Messages)

1a.
Re: mystery download From: Keith Whaley
1b.
Re: mystery download From: HAL9000
2a.
Re: iOS 5 download is live From: Otto Nikolaus
2b.
Re: iOS 5 download is live From: paul smith
3a.
Re: Ethernet Splitter From: Denver Dan
3b.
Re: Ethernet Splitter From: Daly Jessup
3c.
Re: Ethernet Splitter From: N.A. Nada
3d.
Re: Ethernet Splitter From: DaveC
3e.
Re: Ethernet Splitter From: Randy B. Singer
4a.
iPhoto 9.2 From: bob morin
4b.
Re: iPhoto 9.2 From: Otto Nikolaus
4c.
Re: iPhoto 9.2 From: bob morin
5a.
Re: Apple releases OS X 10.7.2, featuring iCloud From: Jim Smith
6a.
mac pro hangs in safe mode start up From: hecowan
6b.
Re: mac pro hangs in safe mode start up From: Denver dan
6c.
Re: mac pro hangs in safe mode start up From: Barry Austern
7a.
Re: Safari refuses to scroll down From: davidpriceuk

Messages

1a.

Re: mystery download

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm (PDT)

1b.

Re: mystery download

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm (PDT)



Did not try to open it! Clicked on it and Apple+I. The only name is "Unknown" w no extension. The icon is a blank text looking document.

IMO, Yahoo is slowly disintegrating after many years of good use. Hate to see it happen, but nothing in the computer web world stays the same.

Gawker had a fairly good article today about what the iCloud will do to computing in general. Everyone w their iPad or iPhone is a power user. Forget computers, operating systems, complex power use. Pick up your smart device, select an app, use it, then stop. When you plug the smart device into the wall to recharge and during your smart device's use, data is organized, stored, backed up, defragged, optimized ready for the next moment you need an app, all in the iCloud.

John R

> HAL9000 wrote:
> > http://view.atdmt.com/AVE/iview/285699138/direct;wi.728;hi.90/01?time=0.3047859009820968&click=http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15r2tokjp/M=791481.14525009.14444588.1180701/D=grphealth/S=1705061124:N/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1318443390/L=ZYYQYGKJInT8QxvjTlKYsQAhRDR67k6VvV4AAbEQ/B=aWmQC0PDhE8-/J=1318436190343196/K=gujiwUt3ln8sW8Z5cPEcVQ/A=6303321/R=0/*,

> > I am getting a text file downloaded to my in box occasionally.
> > It's downloaded name is: Unknown.
>
> The above is an HTTP file, not a text file.
> In your inbox, how does it appear? As the web file or what?
>
> > More info on the file revealed Yahoo Forums as origin.
> > Anyone know why this is beginning to happen?
> >
> > Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50)
>
> I simply would NOT open it!
>
> keith
>

2a.

Re: iOS 5 download is live

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 pm (PDT)



iOS 5 downloaded OK for me. The phone then backed up, followed by something
like

"This phone cannot be restored due to an internal error."

I tried it again with the same result. I'll see if I can find what the
"internal error" is and try it again tomorrow.

Otto
3GS, iOS 4.3.5

On 12 October 2011 19:14, Steve B. <macosx@xebrawerx.com> wrote:

> On my 3rd try with iOS 5. It stalls mid-download each time. Same has not
> been true with assorted Mac OS updates.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: iOS 5 download is live

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm (PDT)



I had the same thing happen three times in a row with my iPod Touch, but the 3rd error message specified an inability to reach the Apple servers. On the 4th try, the upgrade succeeded.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.2

On Oct 12, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

iOS 5 downloaded OK for me. The phone then backed up, followed by something
like

"This phone cannot be restored due to an internal error."

I tried it again with the same result. I'll see if I can find what the
"internal error" is and try it again tomorrow.

3a.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Get an Ethernet Switch. Four-port, Five-port, etc. I recently changed
to a 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch when I wired 5 rooms for Ethernet
in my house via conduit.

Be sure to get one that lists 10/100/1000 speed. The fastest is
sometimes called 1000BaseT or Gigabit Ethernet. The middle speed is
sometimes called Fast Ethernet or 100BaseT.

Then be sure you get Cat 5e or Cat 6 rated Ethernet cables and Ethernet
patch cords.

A Cat 5 Ethernet cable is not rated for Gigabit Ethernet speed but the
5e is. Cat 6 is also good for Gigabit Ethernet speed but is really
intended for significantly longer cable runs and is not necessary for
18 inch patch cables, or even for 15, 25, or 50 foot Ethernet cable
lengths.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:01:13 -0700, Bill Morton wrote:
> I am just setting up a new Mac & changing ISP's at the same time. When I
> connected it all together I found that my new Motorola Gateway only has one
> RJ45 outlet which I need for one of the computers. My old Cisco had 5
> outlets like that, and my Brother printer (which has its own IP address), is
> plugged into one of them.
>
> I see simple 2/way ethernet splitters (RJ45) on the web for cheap prices.
> Is that what I need here, or
> do I need to step up to an Ethernet Switch instead? I would plug the
> splitter into the Gateway,
> then plug the computer and the printer into its two outlets. Seems almost
> too simple?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bill

3b.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm (PDT)



On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> Get an Ethernet Switch. Four-port, Five-port, etc. I recently changed
> to a 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch when I wired 5 rooms for Ethernet
> in my house via conduit.

Why is a switch preferable to a router?

Daly

3c.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:32 pm (PDT)




On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> > Howdy.
> >
> > Get an Ethernet Switch. Four-port, Five-port, etc. I recently changed
> > to a 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch when I wired 5 rooms for Ethernet
> > in my house via conduit.
>
> Why is a switch preferable to a router?

A switch directs the communication to the correct machine only. A router sends the communication to all the machines on the network, reducing the amount of traffic on the network, and the work each machine has to do deciding if the communication is for that machine.

A switch reduces the bandwidth of traffic on your network.

Brent
3d.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 pm (PDT)



>A switch directs the communication to the correct machine only. A
>router sends the communication to all the machines on the network,
>reducing the amount of traffic on the network, and the work each
>machine has to do deciding if the communication is for that machine.
>
>A switch reduces the bandwidth of traffic on your network.
>
>Brent

-=-=-=-

What you describe is what used to be known as a network "hub":
unintelligent distribution of all packets without regard to
destination. These aren't made any more, that I know of.

A router does what the name implies: it routes the packets to their
destination by using the IP address in the header of each packet.

This from the Wikipedia entry for Network Router:
"
A router is connected to two or more data lines from different
networks. When data comes in on one of the lines, the router reads
the address information in the packet to determine its ultimate
destination. Then, using information in its routing table or routing
policy, it directs the packet to the next network on its journey.
Routers perform the "traffic directing" functions on the Internet. A
data packet is typically forwarded from one router to another through
the networks that constitute the internetwork until it gets to its
destination node.
"
If your broadband router (cable, DSL, etc.) does the job of
generating IP addresses for your network and distributes them (most
commonly, as needed via DHCP), you only need a switch which is a
router without IP management functions. A switch simply connects one
network cable to many "downstream" devices (computers, printers,
etc.) or subnets (smaller networks of more devices).

Both switches and routers read IP address information and route the
packets appropriately.

Dave

3e.

Re: Ethernet Splitter

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:26 am (PDT)



An Ethernet Hub and an Ethernet Switch do more or less the same
thing, but the Switch is an intelligent device which will give better
performance.

A Router is a device that allows you to connect two different
networks together. So, you use a router to connect your local area
network (LAN) in your home or business to the Internet.

Helpful articles on the difference:

http://ask-leo.com/
whats_the_difference_between_a_hub_a_switch_and_a_router.html
or
http://is.gd/MjOEsD

http://www.nutt.net/2004/11/20/difference-in-hub-switch-bridge-router/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_router

To make things more confusing, some routers come with switches built-
in. 8-)

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

4a.

iPhoto 9.2

Posted by: "bob morin" rbmorin11@gmail.com   rbmorin2002

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:10 pm (PDT)



I and others have posed this question before and I have checked with an Apple retailer. Never have gotten a clear answer.

I have read and been told that iPhoto 9 doesn't support the first generation of Apple TV. I have iLife 11 but have not installed iPhoto 9. The latter now is required to get iPhoto 9.2 to use with iCloud. I have downloaded 10.7.2 with i cloud and registered. I would like to use iCloud with photos which I have stored in iPhoto.

My apple TV has 160 GB storage and I have movies and photos stored on it which were downloaded from iTunes and my version of iPhoto. My principal use of Apple TV is to show photos on the TV from my computer. I paid $200 for the apple TV couple years ago. I don't want to replace it as it is working nicely. I have iPhoto 8.x

bob
4b.

Re: iPhoto 9.2

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:32 pm (PDT)



You sync to an ATV1 (the ATV2 does not sync in case anyone asks) using
iTunes. In iTunes, you can select any folder containing images to sync with
iOS devices. I cannot see that the version of iPhoto is relevant in any
way.

Otto

On 12 October 2011 22:10, bob morin <rbmorin11@gmail.com> wrote:

> I and others have posed this question before and I have checked with an
> Apple retailer. Never have gotten a clear answer.
>
> I have read and been told that iPhoto 9 doesn't support the first
> generation of Apple TV. I have iLife 11 but have not installed iPhoto 9.
> The latter now is required to get iPhoto 9.2 to use with iCloud. I have
> downloaded 10.7.2 with i cloud and registered. I would like to use iCloud
> with photos which I have stored in iPhoto.
>
> My apple TV has 160 GB storage and I have movies and photos stored on it
> which were downloaded from iTunes and my version of iPhoto. My principal
> use of Apple TV is to show photos on the TV from my computer. I paid $200
> for the apple TV couple years ago. I don't want to replace it as it is
> working nicely. I have iPhoto 8.x
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: iPhoto 9.2

Posted by: "bob morin" rbmorin11@gmail.com   rbmorin2002

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:19 pm (PDT)




On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> You sync to an ATV1 (the ATV2 does not sync in case anyone asks) using
> iTunes. In iTunes, you can select any folder containing images to sync with
> iOS devices. I cannot see that the version of iPhoto is relevant in any
> way.
>

My ATV1 is sync to iTunes. I have read and heard that iPhoto ver 9 will not syc with the ATV1. Don't want to upgrade until I have greater assurance. ATV1 is not iOS to my knowledge.

bob

5a.

Re: Apple releases OS X 10.7.2, featuring iCloud

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm (PDT)



DL in about 15 min and 5 min to install, then reboot and nothing but BLUE screen, After 10 more min shut it down then restarted. Went for a walk, back 5min later and system was up.

Every thing's ok. Maybe better than ok. We'll see.

Now I'm updating my iPhone 4 Verzion and it's says: 3 HOURS!!! remaining.

Jim Smith
jas1931@gmail.com
http://www.rvcarelogbook.com
RVCare Log Book - Maintenance Data Base

On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> Hmm--I'm nowhere near that rate. I stopped any net transfers or streaming. It'll just take a a few more minutes at this rate. I stopped and restarted twice, and nothing.
>
> Haven't had this problem at all with any recent updates. Oh well.
>
> Harry
>
>
>
> On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Bill Boulware wrote:
>
>> hRM, maybe pause and restart, I Am downloading at 982Kbps...
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 13:31, Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@comcast.net>wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>>
>>>
>>> Boy, Apple's servers must have been bombed within a couple of minutes after
>>> the update was released. My download rate went way down a few minutes in. No
>>> it's doing a fraction of a megabyte every 2 seconds or so.
>>>
>>> Harry
>>>
>>>
>>> On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Bill Boulware wrote:
>>>
>>>> And iCloud with Lion 10.7.2 & Recovery
>>>>
>>>> Still waiting on Cards, iPhoto 9.2, iWork for iOS and one other one I
>>>> can't remember
>>>
>>> ______________________
>>> Harry Flaxman
>>> harry.flaxman@comcast.net
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

mac pro hangs in safe mode start up

Posted by: "hecowan" hecowan@islandnet.com   hecowan

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm (PDT)



hello group,

i hope some one can help me solve this mystery.

when i try to start my 2010 mac pro 2.8 quad core in safe mode it
hangs when the progress bar show about 1/4 of the way through the
process. i have no problem starting up in either of the two users
for this machine.

i want to start in safe mode because my internet is slow and the isp
wants the speedtests done in safe mode.

thank you for your time and assistance.
hec
mac pro 2010 2.8 quad core, 12 gb ram, 1T harddrive
mac os 10.6.8

6b.

Re: mac pro hangs in safe mode start up

Posted by: "Denver dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Since Safe Disk turns off various items that normally are loaded, including some Internet access features, running a speed test could be a problem.

Did you try booting from your Snow Leopard install DVD and running First Aid from it?

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
iFrom iDan's iClearly iClouded iPhone!

On Oct 12, 2011, at 8:08 PM, hecowan <hecowan@islandnet.com> wrote:

> hello group,
>
> i hope some one can help me solve this mystery.
>
> when i try to start my 2010 mac pro 2.8 quad core in safe mode it
> hangs when the progress bar show about 1/4 of the way through the
> process. i have no problem starting up in either of the two users
> for this machine.
>
> i want to start in safe mode because my internet is slow and the isp
> wants the speedtests done in safe mode.
>
> thank you for your time and assistance.
> hec
> mac pro 2010 2.8 quad core, 12 gb ram, 1T harddrive
> mac os 10.6.8
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

6c.

Re: mac pro hangs in safe mode start up

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:37 pm (PDT)



At 5:08 PM -0700 10/12/11, hecowan wrote:

>
>
>hello group,
>
>i hope some one can help me solve this mystery.
>
>when i try to start my 2010 mac pro 2.8 quad core in safe mode it
>hangs when the progress bar show about 1/4 of the way through the
>process. i have no problem starting up in either of the two users
>for this machine.
>
>i want to start in safe mode because my internet is slow and the isp
>wants the speedtests done in safe mode.

Might be normal. A safe boot takes a lot longer than a normal boot,
as it is doing a rather thorough check. Go have a cup of coffee and
see what happens.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

7a.

Re: Safari refuses to scroll down

Posted by: "davidpriceuk" dprice@fireflyuk.net   davidpriceuk

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am (PDT)




Thanks for your replies on this. I won't know whether scrolling using the space bar will work until the problem occurs again, then I can try. I'll check out Lion Tweaks.

David

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.